A High School Amateur's Storm Chase Vehicle

Interesting to read. In the EU a manual transmission is still pretty much default. I too drive a manual and after so many miles you don't have to think about it anymore. So, I'd say that if chasing with a manual on the crowded roads of the EU is quite doable, it's no issue on the empty highways of Tornado Alley, even when it's a stressfull situation. And even in a case of a chaser convergence,
I still consider Tornado Alley highways empty
. ;-)
Manual is second nature, if you've driven them long enough. Those types of "accidents" and slip ups just don't happen.

My next build will likely be a manual Explorer.
Oh I love a standard transmission and prefer them in my day to day vehicle. I think everyone should know how to drive one, but I don’t think I’d prefer one in a chase vehicle, mainly because I’m forgetful and may have burned up an emergency brake once or twice! When chasing I just want to throw it in park and get out

I am a total amature high school student who is planning a chasing trip this season, so I probably need all the help I can get here.

Other than being a storm spotter, I am a car guy, so I have some opinions on what an Ideal chase vehicle would be.

My Ideal chase vehicle would be a 5 speed 4 door Jeep Cherokee XJ with the 242 I6 (4.0L). They get good gas mileage, are rock solid reliable, and parts are super cheap.

My actual chase vehicle is quite a bit different though. It is a 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 with a TBI 350 and TH700R4 Automagical Transmission.
View attachment 19591
It also has over 330,000 miles on it on the original engine and trans (Yes, the trans has never been rebuilt).
View attachment 19593
Despite this, it runs very well and the trans shifts like brand new.
View attachment 19595
My biggest issue is that it gets pretty shitty gas mileage (12-15 mpg highway).

So I have another vehicle I am thinking of setting up for chasing, the issue is that many may not see it as ideal.

I have a 1974 GMC C1500 that has at least 340,000 miles on it (can't know for sure since it has a 5 digit odometer) on it's original 250 inline 6 and 3 speed saginaw transmission.
View attachment 19594
Might seem like a bad idea for a chase vehicle, but hear me out:
View attachment 19592
-It would be great for a slide in camper (would pay for itself by saving on hotels).

- Square bodies are tough as nails, and last forever, it has all new brakes, lines master cylinder, and wheel cylinders.
View attachment 19596
-I got a an saginaw 3spd OD transmission ready to swap into it (bolts right up).

-Gets decent gas mileage with the inline 6.

-I have a new Camshaft and high compression Cylinderhead that I am going to put on it for Hot Rod Power Tour this year (Using the head from a 194 i6 I got for $35)

-And I already daily the thing.

Any of you drive interesting cause vehicles? Any of you car guys?

I too am graduating high school this year and i am planning to go on a storm chasing trip down to the plains this spring/summer. I have chased around my home area for 3+ years and i'm ready to go start my next adventure. Im using a 2012 Honda CRV which i never realized could be such an ideal car for storm chasing, especially longer distance chases. It gets around 30 mpg during the summer so great fuel economy. its automatic transmission which im not a huge fan of, but then again who wants to fiddle with a clutch and stick when your storm chasing. It does have AWD which im sure you know has its downsides. Its now approaching 120,000 miles, i bought it used at 75,000 miles a year ago. So far i have had absolutely no problems or complications with it, and its ran like a beauty.

Completely up to you but depending on when and where you are going on your chasing trip, im looking for people to chain up with during severe weather events this spring and summer. I don't know if you would be interested but figured i would ask as i like to make as many friends out in the field as I can.

I too am graduating high school this year and i am planning to go on a storm chasing trip down to the plains this spring/summer. I have chased around my home area for 3+ years and i'm ready to go start my next adventure. Im using a 2012 Honda CRV which i never realized could be such an ideal car for storm chasing, especially longer distance chases. It gets around 30 mpg during the summer so great fuel economy. its automatic transmission which im not a huge fan of, but then again who wants to fiddle with a clutch and stick when your storm chasing. It does have AWD which im sure you know has its downsides. Its now approaching 120,000 miles, i bought it used at 75,000 miles a year ago. So far i have had absolutely no problems or complications with it, and its ran like a beauty.

Completely up to you but depending on when and where you are going on your chasing trip, im looking for people to chain up with during severe weather events this spring and summer. I don't know if you would be interested but figured i would ask as i like to make as many friends out in the field as I can.

I'd be glad to chain up.

I graduate May 9th, and hope to leave within a week of that, and I don't actually live that far from you.

Your CRV sounds like an actually practical vehicle for the circumstances.

If I had any sense I would follow suit, but I don't.

Anyways, I'm looking for some friends in the field as well.

The only thing I see on your schematic that you cannot use is Stormtrack on the door. I hope you aren’t planning to use that because anything you do in the field could reflect back on Stormtrack and we cannot be in a position that appears we are sponsoring your chase activities.

The senior members have given you quite a bit of good advice. Advice you’d be hard pressed to find elsewhere, so I’d recommend following their guidance and definitely chase safe. We’ve had our fair share of deaths in the community and we’d rather not have another. For now I’m done playing Dad. I just want to see you accomplish your goals and return home safely when you do chase. :D

I guess I've been a bit cocky.

I'll try my best to be safe out, and follow your guys' advice.

I won't put Stormtrack on the door, but there will be a tornado on there.

By the time I leave, the truck will, mechanically at least, be pretty much brand new.

This truck is finally comming around.
20200207_145122.jpg
I just sprayed a new coat of paint on it, and installed a "neused" dashpad.
20200209_154555.jpg
I am almost thinking of having the seat reupholstered.
20200209_154637.jpg
And maybe installing some sound deadening foam into the floor.
20200207_145205.jpg
I just have to build myself a living quarters in the back of the truck, and install all my equipment.

I also will do the trans swap when I have time.

Attachments

• 20200209_154712.jpg
    20200209_154712.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 0
You know what, the yellow truck might not be the best vehicle for the situation. I have listended to your sugguestions, and I think I could build something less deadly.

After replacing the TPS sensor on the 'burban, the trans is shifting as smooth as it ever did, so I am going to sell it.

"Why would you sell it?" you may ask.

Well, I just bought another truck that is absolutely perfect for the job.

My neighbors '88 C1500 Silverado, he's had it for 20 years, and finally decided to get rid of it.
20200212_151346.jpg
20200212_151328.jpg
20200217_122942.jpg
It has about 100,000 less miles on it than the 'burb.

I got it for scrap price and it even has newer tires on it.

It has a few issues like the rust (I'll fix that right up).
20200218_164133.jpg
It also needs a bit of a tune up.

The biggest issue by far, though, is the transmission (3rd/4th are cooked).
20200212_151526.jpg
I might pull the trans apart and replace the clutches for about $50, but it would be easier to drop $250 for another used TH700R4.
20200218_172608.jpg
The guy used it as his farm truck and drove it 5 years like that.

Hell the A/C still even works.

I got the trans out finally!
20200226_171932.jpg
20200226_172115.jpg
I had to pull it without the torque coverter since I stripped off a bolt, but it's out.
20200226_172200.jpg
I might replace the 3rd/4th clutch packs, or I might just get a used trans.

Jack R. Jester said:
I might replace the 3rd/4th clutch packs, or I might just get a used trans.
Wouldn't you be be better replacing them all/doing a full re-build while you've got it out/taken apart?

I would probably screw it up.

Automatic Transmissions are amazingly complicated.
They are one of those things that people pretend they understand through science, but is really magic.

Also replaceing 3rd/4th doesn't require a full disassembly, you just have to pull the front pump off in order to get to it.

I don't have a Powerglide anymore!!!
20200304_071732.jpg
$150 later, I now have 4 forward gears.
20200304_071718.jpg
I got the trans out of a '88 C4 Corvette, and it swapped right in.
20200304_071808.jpg
Now I just got to do some general tune up stuff, and also fix the "Natural Line Lock" that had developed (Somebody replaced all the rear brake lines except this one section that rusted out).
20200304_071821.jpg
I also think I want to paint some sort of graphics on it. You can probably see the look I'm going for with the license plates covering the rust holes.
20200304_071724.jpg
20200304_064440.jpg

I started by sanding down the bad spots with 80 grit, spot priming, and filling in some dings.
Screenshot_20200315-224707_Video Player.jpg
I sanded the rest of the truck with 320, in order for the paint to stick.
20200315_155639.jpg
I then shot it with a few cans of Rustoleum Turbo spray paint.
20200315_180817.jpg
I got a paint gun, but my friend has my air compressor right now.
20200317_174926.jpg
The final product does not look too bad for a twenty-footer.
20200317_174949.jpg
I also added a pinstripe and as well as put a tool box in.
20200317_174850.jpg
I hope to take it chasing later this week, Thursday seems promissing for some local chasing.

Back