A High School Amateur's Storm Chase Vehicle

I just drove 2 hours and picked up a topper for my truck yesterday. It's going to become my home during that week.
20200123_170454.jpg
20200123_170416.jpg
20200123_170432.jpg
20200123_170442.jpg
It is not the prettiest thing in the world, but for $50 it was a good deal.

Once I install a bed and some other comfort items, it'll beat any one star motel I could afford.

Jack, do you have a set time for when you will be chasing or do you have the freedom to go when Mother Nature tells you?
Love the truck. It brings back memories of one I used to have. I think it’s still on the road

Jack, do you have a set time for when you will be chasing or do you have the freedom to go when Mother Nature tells you?
Love the truck. It brings back memories of one I used to have. I think it’s still on the road

I am hoping to go soon after I graduate, May 9th. I also will be taking the truck on Hot Rod Power Tour in early June.

Here is a crude drawing I made up of what I want to build.
20200127_131201.jpg
I know that you guys look down on the use of Marine Radars while chasing, but I just happen to have picked up a Furuno 1720 radome and display unit for $50 at a flea market recently, and it even works.

If anything it will at least look cool even if I don't use it.

It's not that anyone "looks down" on marine radar, as they are great chase tools when on a boat :) It's just that using one on land is illegal.

It's not that anyone "looks down" on marine radar, as they are great chase tools when on a boat :) It's just that using one on land is illegal.

Yea, but the coast gaurd are the ones who enforce it, not the FCC.
(the coast gaurd is not going to drive to tornado alley)

I've heard of people using them, and being seen as just showing off (which is pretty much what I'd be doing).

When I saw this complete but untested unit for $50, I couldn't pass it up.

I also meant to chime in on this. A manual transmission is a nightmare for chasing and I would even argue it’s a safety risk. It’s easy to get lost in the moment and forget to set the brake, along with just being in and out of the vehicle too much to mess with it. I guarantee you I’d forget to either set the brake or release it and then burn something up. Less things to tinker with in the field is always best.

Interesting to read. In the EU a manual transmission is still pretty much default. I too drive a manual and after so many miles you don't have to think about it anymore. So, I'd say that if chasing with a manual on the crowded roads of the EU is quite doable, it's no issue on the empty highways of Tornado Alley, even when it's a stressfull situation. And even in a case of a chaser convergence,
I still consider Tornado Alley highways empty
. ;-)

Interesting to read. In the EU a manual transmission is still pretty much default. I too drive a manual and after so many miles you don't have to think about it anymore. So, I'd say that if chasing with a manual on the crowded roads of the EU is quite doable, it's no issue on the empty highways of Tornado Alley, even when it's a stressfull situation. And even in a case of a chaser convergence,
. ;-)

Though my '74 has no power steering, and no power clutch, I have become an absolute master at driving it.

I have taken it out on a few chases, and have had I issues in the heat of the moment.

The only real issue I've had is my shift linkage jamming up. It'll get stuck in gear, and I have to pop the hood and move the linkage back manually.

It's was a pain in the ass, but I have now fixed the problem.

. ;-)
Well...in EU traffic you aren't holding a camera in one hand the whole time. ;)

Well...in EU traffic you aren't holding a camera in one hand the whole time. ;)

That's the beauty of a 3 on the tree, you can pretty much steer and shift with the same hand (You need to be a real man to do that without power steering).

Seriously, though, I am going to install a camera mount, along with an automatic navigation machine/cupholder (my causin Owen).

I just decided to pull the engine out of my truck and freshen it up over a weekend (paint it, new camshaft, new gaskets new head, new clutch, and an overdrive transmision.

That's the beauty of a 3 on the tree, you can pretty much steer and shift with the same hand (You need to be a real man to do that without power steering).

Seriously, though, I am going to install a camera mount, along with an automatic navigation machine/cupholder (my causin Owen).

I just decided to pull the engine out of my truck and freshen it up over a weekend (paint it, new camshaft, new gaskets new head, new clutch, and an overdrive transmision.
Jack...I think you need a youtube channel!

I also meant to chime in on this. A manual transmission is a nightmare for chasing and I would even argue it’s a safety risk. It’s easy to get lost in the moment and forget to set the brake, along with just being in and out of the vehicle too much to mess with it. I guarantee you I’d forget to either set the brake or release it and then burn something up. Less things to tinker with in the field is always best.

Manual is second nature, if you've driven them long enough. Those types of "accidents" and slip ups just don't happen.

My next build will likely be a manual Explorer.

Manual is second nature, if you've driven them long enough. Those types of "accidents" and slip ups just don't happen.

My next build will likely be a manual Explorer.
I've been driving a manual since I was 13 around the homestead. I've forgotten the e-brake while chasing before. Sometime shit just gets real active real fast and something slips. I've also done it while stopping to get the mail, but that's not as fun of a story.

Point of note: No the car never "got away."

Back