A Fond Farewell to 2006

Paul Austin

Looking back on 2006, especially where it relates to chasing, some memorable moments come to mind. We took a chase trip in May, so you already know our frustration. My vehicle broke down on day one in Chattanooga, TN - very expensive repair. And though our trip was generously salvaged by my Dad (we borrowed his car), the cost/reward curve was severely skewed toward the high cost side. We've certainly had better years. However, there were many memorable positives as well. So I thought I would present here my pictorial eulogy for 2006.

Whether your 2006 chase year was one to celebrate or forget, perhaps some of you would like to contribute to the post mortem tribute. I just wanted to give those stricken with winter boredom yet another outlet ;)

Note: These are by no means great quality, just memorable for us. These are all pics from one trip, but feel free to post pics from any time in 2006, even as late as last week.

Kansas sunset through squall line
Our new chase friends from Denmark
Missouri cell
Tiny supercell south of Bismark
Storm approaches the Badlands
"Whale's mouth" on Badlands storm
Approaching hail storm in Texas
Sunset through hail shaft

Edit: Some links removed as per the link limit rule. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm terrible at narrowing down a list. :)

May you all see great success at minimal expense this season!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking back on 2006, especially where it relates to chasing, some memorable moments come to mind. We took a chase trip in May, so you already know our frustration. My vehicle broke down on day one in Chattanooga, TN - very expensive repair. And though our trip was generously salvaged by my Dad (we borrowed his car), the cost/reward curve was severely skewed toward the high cost side. We've certainly had better years. However, there were many memorable positives as well. So I thought I would present here my pictorial eulogy for 2006.

Whether your 2006 chase year was one to celebrate or forget, perhaps some of you would like to contribute to the post mortem tribute. I just wanted to give those stricken with winter boredom yet another outlet ;)

Note: These are by no means great quality, just memorable for us. These are all pics from one trip, but feel free to post pics from any time in 2006, even as late as last week.

Kansas sunset through squall line
Our new chase friends from Denmark
Missouri cell
Tiny supercell south of Bismark
Storm approaches the Badlands
"Whale's mouth" on Badlands storm
Approaching hail storm in Texas
Sunset through hail shaft

Edit: Some links removed as per the link limit rule. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm terrible at narrowing down a list. :)

May you all see great success at minimal expense this season!

Quality photos, I looked through some of your album and I really like a lot of the shots. Looks like a fun chase season to me :cool:

My crew had a pretty quiet year, we just went out 5-6 times due to constraints this year (as well as the lack of local storms) which really gave us nothing to chase as the year went on. Either way, after two really bad years in the Southern Plains (at least for myself as I've missed the big days in Texas the past few years) I'm hoping we can see more for 07!

Quality photos, I looked through some of your album and I really like a lot of the shots. Looks like a fun chase season to me :cool:

Thanks, Chris, I can't complain. It's always a blast for me to get to the states that actually have seasonal change, especially with my insane compadres.

Either way, after two really bad years in the Southern Plains (at least for myself as I've missed the big days in Texas the past few years) I'm hoping we can see more for 07!

Yeah, what is up with Oklahoma and Texas lately, anyway? It seems like the tornadoes have migrated north and east the last couple of years. I hope 2007 sees a return of the southern plains tornado.

My genuine crystal weather ball tells me that the area on the map shaded in red will be the best spots for tornadic supercells in 2007. Hey! I live in Amarillo so that map is perfect for me!!!!!!!!!!!

southernplainslg0.jpg

My genuine crystal weather ball tells me that the area on the map shaded in red will be the best spots for tornadic supercells in 2007. Hey! I live in Amarillo so that map is perfect for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason, I like your crystal weather ball. 2007 is the year of the Southern Plains return! Owwww so bitter sweet for you Northerners ha? I can already taste it... That means you guys will have to drive all the way down here to see storms. Awwww so sad lol.

BUT the good thing about chasing up north is you don't get near as much of what I like to call the "Oklahoma Media Effect" or simply OME lol. OME is a well known phenomenon in which must Oklahoma chasers experience every time we chase in our home state.

Since we have such great weather coverage here (which is a good thing), every small town local thinks they are automatic chasers or spotters because they are watching the weather coverage (which is a bad thing). So at least for now you guys don’t have to really deal with that.

Gary, Mike, Brady and Rick get ready for spring 2007 buddies because OK is back on the field. Why you say? Because Mick (not Rick) said it would!

Gary, Mike, Brady and Rick get ready for spring 2007 buddies because OK is back on the field. Why you say? Because Mick (not Rick) said it would!

Don't forget that the crystal weather ball said it would too!!!!

I hope we'll be chasing in Oklahoma and Texas again this year. It's where I spent most of my time during my first spring chase trips and where I got bitten by 'the bug'. It's been a *long* time since I've taken I-44 from St. Louis into Tulsa as the 'grand entrance' into the Plains. I miss that road and the great feeling of seeing the 'welcome to Oklahoma' sign after the long trip through Missouri. Nothing against I-70 westbound and vicinity, it's been a good road the past few years - but I'm still partial to the I-40/I-44 side of things. If I could have it my way I'd head there every season.

I hope we'll be chasing in Oklahoma and Texas again this year. It's where I spent most of my time during my first spring chase trips and where I got bitten by 'the bug'.

Same here. I lived in Miami, OK for a few years, but my first real success came some time later in the Texas panhandle near Shamrock. In fact, I still have yet to experience a full-fledged tornado (only a brief funnel) in either Oklahoma or Kansas. And I was just west of Pratt on May 12, 2004! I guess I should have punched the one storm to see the other, but I was lacking data that day. :(

06' wasnt that bad for me. For the second year in a row I talked my wife into going on a chase with me and both times met with success! I think 07' is going to be very active of course my opinion isnt worth much but look how strong the last 5 storm systems have been which to me is a direct result of the El Nino that is going on in the Pacific. This is going to be my first big chase year and the wife has already given the go ahead..... YES!!!!! Although most of this season ill be stuck at work chasing from my PC ill get a couple of chances to catch something.

southernplainslg0.jpg

If that works out it'll be much appreciated and all the credit for this year will go to your excellent futuresortaonhopewishcast. :D

I think you all, are still hung over from New Years. It's a well know fact, that after Missouri gets done with the early spring storms, and West Texas has it’s ONE big hailer, you will have to come north of I-70 to see any real storms. So save the Christmas cash for gas, and bring your own burritos, cause we don’t have Allsups up here, just Kum & Go’s. :D

I think you all, are still hung over from New Years. It's a well know fact, that after Missouri gets done with the early spring storms, and West Texas has it’s ONE big hailer, you will have to come north of I-70 to see any real storms. So save the Christmas cash for gas, and bring your own burritos, cause we don’t have Allsups up here, just Kum & Go’s. :D

Problem is, our forecast calls for 20 tornadoes between Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, and South Dakota this next year. All will be rain wrapped and will occur around 2am in desolate farm land. :D

I think you all, are still hung over from New Years. It's a well know fact, that after Missouri gets done with the early spring storms, and West Texas has it’s ONE big hailer, you will have to come north of I-70 to see any real storms.

Actually, the last few years, Nebraska's been my best friend. I don't care if I'm forced to drive to North Dakota, if it means seeing something interesting. It would be nice to catch one a little further south once in a while, though. I hope you all are at least close to being right. I'd rather not have to drive that far.

Problem is, our forecast calls for 20 tornadoes between Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, and South Dakota this next year. All will be rain wrapped and will occur around 2am in desolate farm land. :D

Yes, but at least I can handle the road network in the northern plains...bring on the Dakota's for '07.

No no no no no NO! 2007 will be the year for NE IL! Big supercells and tornadoes will dance dangerously close to high populated areas, putting the entire Chicago Metro on notice. I won't have to go far to see big storms this year!:D

Back