9/7/05: NOW: CO

Numerous severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings in Northeastern Colorado now. Incredible hook echo with storm in Washington county. At the same time, DBZ values were off the hizzy at 70dbz+. Baseball size hail reported (see below):

IN ADDITION THIS STORM MAY STILL PRODUCE DESTRUCTIVE HAIL TO THE SIZE OF BASEBALLS. SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE HAS BEEN REPORTED IN THE CITY OF AKRON AT 630 PM MDT WITH NUMEROUS TREES BLOWN DOWN.

...Any chaser on these storms (storm?). I'd love to see some pics or video if you caught anything good.

It appears my target of Rapid City, SD would have paid off greatly today... Very defined supercell with persistant rotation... Invof strong easterly SFC winds, with deep instability and favorable deep-layer shear. The terrain around this area is pretty good... This storm will pass just to the north of which the 6/7/05 supercell tracked.

Nightfall is approaching... However, strong SFC-based instability/low-level shear will continue through the next few hours, so I believe it should persist and remain tornadic for another hour or two.

Quite the late show in SD. 8:30pm initiation?? That doesn't make chasing too successful....

EDIT: I did not see any strong signs of rotation from the data I looked at near RAP..other than a mediocre hook. It'll be interesting to see if any tornado verification occurs.

Originally posted by HAltschule
Quite the late show in SD. 8:30pm initiation?? That doesn't make chasing too successful....

Remember that SW SD would be in MDT... NOT EDT. That pair of supercells first blew up around 6:30PM MDT, or 8:30PM EDT. Therefore, it's just now going dark in that area...

I viewed not one but two spectacular supercells from their birth just after 4:00 p.m. as I was driving home from school until about 9:00 p.m. The westernmost supercell was the nasty one, with the sweet hook and the baseballs. Simply an incredible storm with great structure and near constant lightning, lots of CG's. I had a great view of the storm as it was about 45 miles to my southeast at 6:30 p.m. when it was pounding Akron. I got some really cool photos but I don't have any way to upload them to here since I currently don't have a host site like Photobucket or Webshots I could host the photos on. :( I am going to do that in the very immediate future however. :)

Back