9/27 NOW: MO/IL/KY/IN

There are a few t-showers in SE Mich, with at the most some peas (but I doubt anything would be even that large.) While the criteria for severe is too low in my book, I don't think 1/8" hail counts anywhere in the country ;>

There are a few t-showers in SE Mich, with at the most some peas (but I doubt anything would be even that large.) While the criteria for severe is too low in my book, I don't think 1/8" hail counts anywhere in the country ;>

Really?

0504 PM HAIL ALMONT 42.92N 83.04W
09/27/2006 E0.75 INCH LAPEER MI TRAINED SPOTTER

0519 PM HAIL CAPAC 43.01N 82.93W
09/27/2006 E0.75 INCH ST. CLAIR MI TRAINED SPOTTER

If you perform an in-depth analysis, there is plenty of elevated CAPE to go along with the very strong deep-layer shear to produce isolated large hail-producing storms. In fact, SPC mesoanalysis shows 250-500j/kg of muCAPE across eastern lower MI -- in addition to +45kts of 0-6km shear and steep low-level lapse rates (given the insolation and resultant diabatic heating earlier). Nothing spectacular, no -- but definitely enough to produce severe weather should updrafts realize the available shear/instability.

The storms he was talking about - the SVR warned for Washtenaw Co - were showers with a few rumbles of thunder. NWS DTX was in full alert mode, even extending one warning for a cell with a VIL of 5 and no lightning... And you and I both know what the value of an estimated 3/4" report is ;>

But who is the one mentioning severe? The person you are trying to correct only mentioned moderate storms not severe. So why the hassle?

I'm not sure I see the hassle, unless someone deleted a post already.

There were numerous warnings issued by NWS DTX on thundershowers with pea-sized hail at the largest, then one storm intensified towards the thumb which had two estimated 3/4" reports.

Back