9/22/2006 REPORTS: IL / MO / AR / KY / TN / IN

Here's a video capture from west of Delavan IL. Sorry for the poor quality, but this is the best I can do. It is sort of hard to see in the original video capture due to low contrast, but I adjusted the brightness and contrast so it shows much more definitively.

Finally got my log and video captures up from Friday's chase in western Illinois.

Got a rapidly rotating wall cloud northwest of Springfield, IL which I thought was going to put one down right in front of us.. but that didn't end up being the case.

2006092202.JPG

2006092204.JPG

2006092206.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/pwx2006/20060922.html

Last edited by a moderator:
was in the exact same area as andrew on the exact same storm but on the otherside with another storm spotter from the area, then went investigate tornado damage in pike county but couldnt find any, then on the way back thru springfield heard of another rotating wall cloud 6 miles east of town but it was all outflow, all in all to the south of me got hammered, and back at home numerous funnel clouds and large hail hit the metro area..........i just cant win

Wasnt too far south and wasnt too far north i got stuck in the middle and missed everything, however the next day i came across some damage on Route 42 and Junction A in MO, Richwood or the Cedar Lake subdivision area, im thinking a microburst, it cant be damaging winds because it was just this one house that got nailed , cottonwood trees snapped at there bottom as well as other small tree's, and parts of shed in the tree's i did some investgating and went on gravel roads to see if anyone else had damgae and nothing> ill be posting vid caps tommorow, as well as my SD chase, im sorry thing have just hit at once, my grandma's place gets hit in suprise NE, and both of my grandpa's have cancer its really been hard on me and chasing keeps my mind off things, i also chased th enext day in MO.. forests galore!!!!! alot of heavy rain and flooding but god i learned not to chasein East Central MO, or MO south itself, windy roads hills and shapr turns no clear spots to shoot vid!!! i went into IL , but had to get home for a paranormal investigation , otherwise i was trying to find crosstown or crosston.. the damage was minimal right??? nope it was far worst then what the media had known... i was hearing radio reports driving home, of just devistation roofs ripped off, houses off foundations, so i knew it was badder then thought... i cant believe the Weather Channel with Dan Robinson's video said F1 ????? yeah my ass it was an F1 tornado..... sorry my heart goes out to all who encountered these nasty supercells, esp Saint James MO... ..

As soon as I moved back home to Alabama this past spring, I swore off the notion that I'd chase down here. Ha!

I originally started chasing a cell close to home here in Shelby County, AL but broke off the chase after reaching Moody, AL. This had proved to be quite an arduous task, spending most of my time on the wrong side of Oak Mountain to see anything. Plus, I was going to have to contend with Birmingham rush hour traffic on the way back and was supposed to meet a friend at church at 7:00PM in Hoover.

However, on the return to Birmingham on I-20, there was a beautiful supercell lumbering up into Blount County which actually presented a decent visibile appearance.

I could not pass this up!

After about an hour, I finally made it over to US-31 and upon reaching Gardendale saw this:
c.jpg

5:40PM Central, Gardendale, AL looking north.

At this time, a tornado warning was in effect for Blount County and numerous reports of funnel clouds were coming in from the Kimberly area. So, on up US-31 I went. I headed east out of Kimberly and soon found myself almost underneath a rapidly developing new wall cloud.

Scud cloud tags were continuously forming from the groud and would rapidly ascend up into the wall cloud but I'm hesitant to call this a tornado as I do not recall seeing any debris being tossed around.
f.jpg

6:21PM Central, east of Kimberly, AL

It was very difficult trying to keep up with the storm as I was in some very hilly and forested region (in Alabama, go figure huh?) So I just tried to continue east and north, hoping for a clearing to come along. Finally it did.
I was greeted with a ragged but otherwise healthy wall cloud and cone tornado on it's southern periphery. This tornado was probably the one that hit Locust Fork causing F2 damage.
g.jpg

6:40PM Central, east of Trafford, AL

The wall cloud then started to "tighten up" and a funnel finally developed in the center of it, eventually coming to the ground and producing F2 damage in Oneonta.

k.jpg

6:42Pm Central, east of Trafford, AL

Broke the chase off here as the cell was going over Red Mountain and it was getting dark. All and all, not a bad day for my first Alabama chase.

Here's some damage caused by the storms, this is near Richwood MO? i think the name of it is, off Route 41 close to Junction A, i did some investigating and being alot of trees around maybe there was more damage but i couldnt see none, i walked across 41 , and saw some smaller trees were snapped off close to the bottom, i figure if it was damaging winds wouldnt there be a bigger path of damaged tree's? anyways i got on Junction A and took a gravel road, i drove up this cemetery and didnt see any damage, i tried other roads and no damage so i dont know?

06093022001_0002.jpg

06093026001_0001.jpg

06093022001_0004.jpg

06093022001_0001.jpg

I know vid caps are bad, i didnt have a digital cam with me im working on buying a new one, since were allowed to post 4 photos only, there was some pieces of a sheds roof, with shingles on it scattered about, some larger cottonwood tree's snapped if you look at the picture with the red gate you cant see it well but theres a pickup back there with a tree on top of it im not an expert at assessing what it was ?

Back