8.9 Earthquake has struck Japan

A pair?? (odd) of 7.9 Earthquakes has just hit Japan. I was just telling the wife a few days ago that I thought the quakes were looking like pre shocks. I guess that was a solid guess.....

24 seconds apart with 1 at 24.4 KM and the other at 10 KM depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loooks like it was a good ways offshore (81 miles away from the nearest town) which should reduce the impact some, but still, 7.9M is huge.

the magnitude has been revised to 8.8! Cnn is showing video of a large tusnami moving onshore and massive flooding. There is also video of damaged and burning skycrapers.

The live tsunami footage coming in is unbelievable. Showing houses and cars getting obliterated. Every bit as bad as the Sumatran tsunami.

8.9 Mag Earthquake and 13 foot Tsunami in Japan!!

Crazy looking Tsunami flooding and inundation video of fields, towns, homes, highways being overrun in Japan!!

Incredible inbound waves to Japan on the beach!

I've heard reports of 10 METER (30+ feet!) tsunami in Miyagi Prefecture. Bouys are reading 1 meter tsunami in deep open ocean.

Finally have my internet back. They upgraded to an 8.9. I was watching some video on the laptop with some stray internet I could pick up. Seen a lot of people being washed along in the tsunami's debris wave. Numerous aftershocks.

USGS has revised the main shock to 8.9, and the region is still ringing like a bell with 6+ magnitude shocks

This is some of the most amazing natural disaster footage I have ever seen. They got the news helicopters in the air fast enough to catch some of the waves moving onshore.

It is still preliminary, I will be curious to see where it settles after review.

The fires are going to be causing a lot of damage beyond the massive tsunami damage already shown.

"Any footage of the wave as it comes up on the shore? As in, you can see it coming right out of the ocean? "

Yes, there is news chopper footage of one of the smaller waves moving onshore, and also numerous large waves full of debris already onshore. FOX CNN and MSNBC are rotating through these videos.

Watching this I cannot help but think that the casualties are going to be in the thousands or even tens of thousands. I know Japan is better prepared than almost any other place, but the epicenter was I think they said 10 miles offshore. With as fast as a tsunami can travel, that gave them mere seconds in some places, and just a very few minutes in others. I hope I'm wrong, very wrong. But this does not look good at all for the people near the coast.

The quake was about 5-15 minutes(tsunami time) from the bulk of the population effected. Enough warning for some, but not for all. A quick check of google maps shows some of those towns near Sendai are not particularly close to elevated terrain. Those massive walls of debris that probably remind us all of large hurricane surge damage will contain lots of bodies.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/shakemap/global/shake/c0001xgp/

Back