8/19/2004 REPORTS: Midwest/Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Robinson

Saw a rarity this afternoon with semi-discrete cells across central WV. Went north 15 miles from Charleston to check one out and was surprised to see some smooth inflow features, a rain-free base, rising scud, a weak flanking line, and clear differential motion in the base, dare I say rotation. Frequent CG in and around the core and a stout wall of precip near the updraft. Couldn't get a decent visual lock on the base due to mountains, but this storm had more organized features on it that any other storm I've seen in this state. Looks like junk on radar, except for the strong OFB peeling away from the south side. Looked good enough in person that I abandoned an opportunity to stop and get some nice lightning video so I could try to get closer for a better view. No photos or video captures, as I was driving on wet, curvy 2-lane roads with no place to pull over.

That's cool Dan. I was on a storm like that in July in Central Ok, it was a nice LP. It developed a decent wall cloud for about 10 minutes too. It really didn't look good on radar, but you could really see it with velocities. It's always nice to get on a storm not expecting more than lightning, and then see supercell features. It really makes your heart race......you go into "Game Mode" real quick. Let me know when you'll be in my neck of the woods again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back