7/3/06 DISC: MI

Not worth opening a seperate thread in discussion for this.

Interesting, last night, one tv station went wall to wall cover
covering this storm, which is on the fringe of its coverage
area. Another news station, did not cover this at all, since
it is not in its viewing area. The tv met from this station,
more or less took jabs at the other station for covering
this storm without mentioning the station on the 11pm news.

THE EMERGENCY MANAGER OF ST. JOSEPH COUNTY MICHIGAN DID A DAMAGE
SURVEY ACROSS HIS COUNTY THIS MORNING AND REACHED THE CONCLUSION
THAT THERE WERE NO TORNADO TOUCHDOWNS YESTERDAY EVENING. ALTHOUGH
SOME TREES WERE BLOWN DOWN BY THE STORM... THERE WAS NO INDICATION
OF DAMAGE CONSISTENT WITH A TORNADO TOUCHDOWN.
http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KIWX/0607041353.nous43.html[/b]
Mike

1st...I think The "EMERGENCY MANAGER OF ST. JOSEPH COUNTY MICHIGAN" must be smoking something. 2nd...what kind of training does and E.M. have that qualifies he or she to make educated and official damage surveys that get released to the public?

Judging by the appearance of the g2g shear and numerous TVS markers and signatures last night, plus the fact that at least 3 separate emergency agencies confirmed a tornado on the ground in that county, it is extremely likely that a tornado did occur in that county. I'm fairly sure that the NWS survey crews would probably find tornadic evidence if they did the survey.

H - how can you accuse the EM of being wrong? You are more than aware that a beautiful radar signature means jack - plenty of monster sup's have nothing on the ground while a piddly shower does F0 damage. G2G shear / TVS markers have no bearing on an actual touchdown.

And if you've ever worked with fire departments (i.e. non-trained public) you should be aware that they are HORRIBLE at tornado reporting especially in a scud-filled storm.

I'm just amazed that you can declare this to be a tornado when someone trained in damage surveys says the damage indicates no tor...

Back