7/23/10 DISC: SD/IL

Compare radar to Aurora, NE (2003)

I've got a theory. Top is radar for the Vivian storm. Bottom is radar for the Aurora, NE (2003) storm. Both these scans show a triple decker set-up. The top storm hail seeds the middle storm which hail seeds the tail-end charlie. I may have to put a presentation together on this idea.

vivian_hail.gif

aurora_hail.gif

Justin -- sounds plausible, but almost impossible to argue with any certainty considering the inability of knowing the storm-relative flow around and through the three storms. The trajectories may be such that a select few stones are able to "hop-scotch" from one updraft to another. If only we had dual-Doppler analyses from these events or really good data assimilation analyses to let us compute trajectories...

KFYR-TV A hailstone that fell in central South Dakota has set U.S. records. The stone found by a ranch hand near the town of Vivian the night of July 23 measured 8 inches in diameter and weighed 1 pound, 15 ounces. The previous record for weight was 1.67 pounds for a stone in Coffeyville, Kan., in 1970.

Dont know if this is the 100% truth, but it was posted anyways on FB.

I've got a theory. Top is radar for the Vivian storm. Bottom is radar for the Aurora, NE (2003) storm. Both these scans show a triple decker set-up. The top storm hail seeds the middle storm which hail seeds the tail-end charlie. I may have to put a presentation together on this idea.

vivian_hail.gif

aurora_hail.gif

http://www.theweatherspace.com/SubSection/Weather_News/National_Weather/454 It is a shame someone else has to leech off your theory idea Justin. I would be extremely interested to see your presentation on it as I thoroughly enjoyed your others.

To show that that theory has some promise, you'd have to show that there was some significant motion of the winds at upper levels from north to south. Other than simple upper level divergence, I'm not sure how you'd show that, but upper level divergence at the top of a thunderstorm happens all the time.

Back