7/23/05 REPORT: SE WI

J West

Supporter
After initially not being very excited about the day, I chose to continue work on my primary vehicle which means it's devoid of the interior and undriveable. Upon hearing the activity in northern WI I quickly regretted this choice as there was no chance in a chase for today.

Enter the accomdating better half...I did manage to sneak out for a quick chase after all. I got her to go (with her truck) after the line of storms prompted MKX to mention this in the warning statements for a few counties:

AT 346 PM CDT...RADAR CONTINUED TO
INDICATE A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DIME SIZE HAIL...AND DESTRUCTIVE HURRICANE FORCE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 80 MPH. SIREN ACTIVATION IS SUGGESTED!

We got in front of a supposed tornadic cell in the far SE counties and waited for it, but it looked horrible and everything about it was under severe levels.

As we sat and waited for it, expecting the hurricane force winds and something that resembled a wall cloud, meso or other tornado-producing feature..but none were visible. I could plainly see 180* turning with height so if the other elements come together, it could have been nasty.

Chase info: I-94 south to WIS 165, west to CTH U, south to Illinois 173, north on USH 45 back into WI.

This was the most severe report in SE WI, and at WFO MKX no less...I heard this report on the (ham) radio while I was in the car...this was sustained for over a minute, not just a gust:

0344 PM TSTM WND GST 3 SE SULLIVAN 42.98N 88.55W
07/23/2005 67 MPH JEFFERSON WI OFFICIAL NWS OBS

So much for the hurricane force winds...maybe next time.

Back