7/18/06 REPORTS: MO

cdcollura

EF5
Some severe storms developed in response to weak surface low and NW flow aloft and extremely unstable air (such as dempoints in mid-70's and temperatures near 97 degrees).

Started out headed into south central Illinois at about 3 PM targeting great instability and weak surface low. Convective inhibition and a strong cap was in place, so I decided to shift back SW towards Perryville, MO to check out weak convection along a surface boundary oriented NW to SE. By the time I go to these cells, they became severe and produced golfball sized hail and wind damage.

My entry to my yearly chase log is below...

Observation and indirect penetration of a very severe thunderstorm in Reynolds County, Missouri along Highway 72 between Ellington and Reynolds. The storm was an HP supercell storm and had a history of producing winds near or exceeding 80 MPH and hail up to golfball sized. The worst part of the storm was not penetrated due to poor road networks in the area, but a region of 45-MPH winds and ¾ inch hail was encountered. A rotating wall cloud was also noted on the NW side of the storm (rear-flank, as upper winds were NW flow). Frequent lightning, with some close CG hits as well as very heavy rains were also noted with the storm. The main core of the storm was passed by to the east, but golfball sized hail stones were noted along the side of the road. Downed trees and power out to many homes was also noted near and to the southwest of Centerville, Missouri. A local sheriff, who closed the road (Highway 72) for tree removal north of Centerville noted golfball sized hail and wind downing trees. The storms were caused by a low pressure area, surface heating, and an upper trough. Documentation was still photos and HD video. A 2006 Ford Focus was used to chase the storms.

Added pictures below...

0718ss1.jpg

The view of the supercell storm from the east of it (view is due west) ... Note that with the NNW flow aloft, the storm is oriented NW to SE rather than SW to NE (updraft on NW side) and crisp anvil spreading out overhead.

0718ss2.jpg

Here is a view of the updraft and wall cloud, although not a totally clear shot due to moving along a twisting Ozark foothills road in Reynolds County, MO! Note the little "stinger" inflow tail extending from the wall cloud to the left.

Chris C - KG4PJN

That particular HP outflow blaster supercell passed exactly over our campsite on the Current River north of Round Spring in Shannon Co. MO. We were there last Sat. night and finished up a 3 day float Sunday. That would have been pretty wild had we still been camping there when the 80 mph+ winds and golfball hail roared in !! Then the river probably would have surged up with the 2-3 " of rain/hail that fell. As far as chasing that part of the MO Ozarks...the hardwood forests and windy roads would make things beyond tough!! I bet there were a ton of downed trees from this supercell.

Wow Chris! Did you take off from Fla. just to chase this event? You are truly a hardcore guy!
[/b]

No, as I am now working on a 6-month computer project in St Louis, MO ... Yesterday was a fun chase for me!

And yes, many downed trees were noted along highway 21 / 72.

Chris C - KG4PJN

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Stormtrack Rules")</div>
(5) Chase Reports forum. In the Chase Reports forum, we allow two types of messages, as follows:
* REPORTS is for your firsthand chase report, along with photos and graphics.
* DISC is for making any non-forecasting post about an event. You may use it to make third-party reports or discuss media coverage. [/b]

Per the rules, REPORTS threads are only for first-hand chase reports. If you have comments to a particular member, and you comments may not benefit the membership, please use the Private Message system. Otherwise, feel free to open a DISC report if you feel that others may be interested. I don't want to chop down 3 posts for this, so please decide if you want to open a DISC thread, or use the PM system for further discussion. Thanks!

Back