6/26/08 FCST: SD/NE/MT/WY/ND/IA

Note- I had this thread previously listed for Wednesday 6/25, but then realized I was off by a day. Lol. So I fixed it.

With a potentially significant severe event possible on Thursday in the Northern Plains, I thought now would be a good time to start a thread.
A strong shortwave trough will be crossing the Northern Rockies and ejecting out over the Northern Plains on Thursday afternoon/evening. Strengthening mid-level westerlies will result in steep height falls downstream of the shortwave trough. In response, lee side cyclogenesis will take place across eastern WY/northwestern NE/southwestern SD and the resulting surface low will continue to deepen through the afternoon and evening hours. A warm front will extend to the E/SE across far northern NE/southern SD initially and will lift north with time. The large scale forcing will hold off until later in the day, so initiation should be in the 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. time frame.
The 12z WRF run depicts the 60 degree dewpoint isotherm extending as far west as Rapid City, SD, mid to upper 60's across all of northern NE/central SD and a tongue of low 70's poking into northeastern NE and eastern SD at 00z Thursday. With surface temperature's progged in the mid 80's the T/d spreads will be acceptable. The WRF also depicts a bullseye of helicity on the order of 300-400 m2/s2 over eastern SD at 00z. Shear will be ample, with due southerly 25 knot 850 winds veering to 50 knot west/northwesterly winds at 500 mb. With the combination of the deep moisture, strong shear, a deeping surface low and a warm front lifting northward across the area, a significant severe weather outbreak is certainly possible, with tornadic supercells a distinct possibility.
Throwing a dart at a map, while keeping in mind a certain late June outbreak back in 2004, my preliminary target would be Mitchell, SD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed with this being a potentially potent event. Can't really add too much to Mark's analysis. CAPE and helicity bullseyes are juxtaposed perfectly in south-central SD...backed at SFC, 925 and 850, speed increases and turns back to WNW at the upper levels. Can't argue with that for late June.

I'll try and update my thoughts tomorrow, as things become more clear. As of now, though, I might play a little further northwest. Maybe Vivian (intersection of 83 and I-90) to Pierre.

Capping will probably be a big problem east of the western Dakotas/WY/MT area. I may end up chasing this one, and am figuring on being near Wall again or south into the NE panhandle. Will get really cold fronty to the north of there. Forecast soundings look decent further east, IF one can get a storm to fire there. Nam has a sharp warm front on the NE/SD border at 18z lifting north to I90 by 0z. Mitchel covective temp is showing 98 however. Just seems like one of these events that things fire in WY or around the Black Hills and moves se. Too bad I can't come up with any example of good storms out of that area.

Overall not terribly excited about this one, much like the last time I went out there. But I again want to go west lol. Last I looked it was supposed to get super ridgy after this.

Edit: I guess if you get far enough east along the warm front it's not capped.

http://beta.wxcaster.com/models/eta/central/CENTRAL_ETA212_ATMOS_LSI_57HR.gif

http://www.wxcaster2.com/CENTRAL_ETA_500_GPHTMPWNDVORT_60HR.gif

http://www.wxcaster2.com/CENTRAL_ETA_SFC_SLPTMPDPTWINDSLI_60HR.gif

Might be able to eek out a good storm or two along the IA/MN border if it's not a big mess early on.

I think I'm going to "wishcast" some better/deeper moisture into ne WY/nw SD. Thinking more and more that far western target is a lost cause, but will likely end up there anyway. Hell the whole day seems lost cause'ish to me, but I just want to chase. What fun those days usually end up being, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little confused as to why this thread is so quiet, given the potential for a fairly significant severe wx outbreak across the Northern Plains tomorrow. This morning's 0800Z Day 2 Outlook mentions a likely upgrade to Moderate Risk for portions of northern Nebraska, the majority of South Dakota and south central North Dakota, and for good reason. Surface and 850 mb flow is now progged to become strongly backed from the east/southeast along and north of the warm front, which will result in enhanced SRH as it slowly advances northward from northern Nebraska into southern South Dakota through the afternoon and evening. The latest WRF runs show a pocket of 3000 j/kg of CAPE in far north central NE into southern and southeastern SD with an area of 300-500 ms/2 helicity and SRH values in excess of 250 across northeastern NE, south central/southeastern SD, far southwestern MN and northwestern IA. Given these parameters, a few tornadic supercells are a good bet along and north of the warm front, with an isolated strong tornado not out of the question. Later in the evening, the storms will congeal into a nasty MCS with widespread damaging winds and large hail across eastern SD/western MN/northwestern IA and track eastwards towards the Upper Midwest.
My initial target for tomorrow would be Winner, South Dakota.
I'm indecisive as to whether or not to chase this setup - while there's a fairly decent chance of tornadoes, I'm nearing the end of my allocated funds for multi-day out of state chases and am a little leery of making another 700+ mile round trip for nothing. I'll make my decision sometime this afternoon once I've scrutinized this afternoon's model runs.

I completely agree on the Norfolk target. We are planning on heading out tomorrow if it looks good! It looks to me that the warm front won't move further north than central maybe north Nebraska. So I'd want to place myself just north of it where there are better t/td depressions and better helicity. i wouldn't be surprised to see a few tornadic supercells from SC SD into NC/NE Nebraska maybe even into Iowa. I will wait and see how it looks in the morning to make a call.

I was just checking out data for O'Neill, NE, which is just west & north of Norfolk, and all I can saw is WOW. The NAM & ETA don't seem to be liking South Dakota (not compared to NE, anyhow), but the GFS does. However, all three models are putting up some incredible numbers for northeast NE from about 18Z Thurs. - 06Z Fri. I just compared O'Neill and Norfolk and they're very similar. "Best CAPE" is showing ~ 6,000 J/kg for both places on a couple of models, EHI ~ 10 ... For O'Neill, the ETA has SWEAT index at 733 and EHI at 14 at 03Z. All three models are in very good agreement at this point for northeast NE, with the exception being the timing on the ETA, which holds things off for 3-6 hours.

Mods, I think Iowa is a safe bet to be added to this thread.

Looks like the Hwy. 20 corridor in W. IA may be a strong play for those of us unable to drive further west into Nebraska. Not sure if the forecast H7 speed max will play out, but virtually all other severe parameters appear as good in Iowa as they do in Nebraska. My only concern is the MCS which the NAM has moving SE-ward into Iowa during the afternoon. However, I've seen many cases where development along the southern flank or south of the MCS becomes supercellular and goes nuts. I'm hoping the ambient warm, moist environment will help to quickly modify any cold pool which develops with the MCS. Current target, FOD to SUX.

Mods, I think Iowa is a safe bet to be added to this thread.

Looks like the Hwy. 20 corridor in W. IA may be a strong play for those of us unable to drive further west into Nebraska. Not sure if the forecast H7 speed max will play out, but virtually all other severe parameters appear as good in Iowa as they do in Nebraska. My only concern is the MCS which the NAM has moving SE-ward into Iowa during the afternoon. However, I've seen many cases where development along the southern flank or south of the MCS becomes supercellular and goes nuts. I'm hoping the ambient warm, moist environment will help to quickly modify any cold pool which develops with the MCS. Current target, FOD to SUX.

Agreed with Web. Western Iowa may be all the further I need to go, but I still am alright with my Norfolk target, albeit a less obvious target with 0z than the 12z.

Judging by the ETA/NAM/WRF, though, I'd say Norfolk at 21z would be about where I'll play.

How I envy you Plains chasers...I'll be leaving at around 4am unless I change my mind at the last moment...

70 TD in North Platte already! That is some juice for out there. Big juice, fair sfc low, 30-35 kntos wnw mid-level flow, possible mcs along the SD/NE border early....I'm going to have a very hard time not heading out to Cherry County NE. Probably Merriman area, but maybe Valentine. I'm fairly certain no where on the planet likes to have southward moving flying eagles in modest-weak mid-level flow like that localized area north of I80, south of I90. Tomorrow is sort of screaming nc NE day to me.

The 12z ruc forecasted cape/cin in IA is a little funny. 5000 uncapped sfc based cape at 7am....suurreee. But still. I'm not a fan of really early days, and seems like the more east option could be a mess. It's a lot closer to me, so I'm not being "biased" that way in saying that. NAM has it uncapped by 15z in most of IA, and into NE by 18z. If there is any sort of morning mcs in sc SD like it suggests there will be, I don't think it's going to fizzle out. So my bet is later out west, way west.

Wow... if the actual 00z sounding for Norfolk bears any resemblance to the forecast sounding, there will be some b*****n' supercells across north central and northeastern NE tomorrow. The sounding is showing 5200 j/kg of CAPE, an EHI of 9.5, and an LI of - 8 at 00z. The latest WRF runs show an area of strongly backed 25 knot east/southeasterly surface winds, veering to south/southeasterly 30 knots winds at 850 mb, then west/southwesterly 35 knot winds at 700 mb and nearly due westerly 50 knot winds at 500 mb over the target area;talk about classic turning with height! Directional shear is definitely not going to be an issue tomorrow, that's for sure! The 500 mb jet maximum is going to be directly over the NE/SD border in the vicinity of Lake Andes,SD/O'Neill, NE, also at 00z. This maxima (is that even a word? Lol) of parameters is going to be positioned directly over northeastern Nebraska and southeastern South Dakota along and just north of the warm front.
I'm beginning to seriously consider getting up extremely early and going after this setup... it's about roughly 6 hours to O'Neill from Denver. If I left at 6 a.m. MDT, with an hour allowance for eating/fueling, an 2 P.M. CDT arrival in O'Neill would be perfectly feasible.
My decision is pending on the Day 1 Outlook and the latest model runs to finalize my decision, but as of now I'm thinking there's a very good chance I will be setting the ol' alarm clock for 4 a.m. tomorrow morning for one last hurrah in this 2008 regular season...

Jet max? Oh snap. I meant to say 500 mb vorticity maximum. Sadly, there is no 50 knot 500 mb jet max progged to be in northern NE tomorrow. If there was, all hell would almost certainly break loose...

Well, the new Day 1 is officially making me scrap my chase plans. I'm not driving 500+ miles for a 5% tornado, 30% hail and 30% wind setup, with a categorical upgrade likely for damaging wind potential. Yuck. And it was looking so promising last night... sheesh. Oh well. So much for that...

I haven't lost hope in today just because of what the SPC said. All we need today to get storms is some sort of outflow boundary to get a storm going and then if it can travel along a boundary that would enhance the shear creating a favorable environment with the extreme instability and deep moisture. With all of the on-going storms in SD and IA we could very well see some supercells with a couple tornadoes.

Also I'm somewhat confused on how it will MCS so fast if we have good directional shear with SE winds and LLJ and W/SW 500mb winds?

This setup has some very polarized aspects. Seems like the thing to overcome would be the cap. We have great low level shear in north-central South Dakota. The apex for all this - I would give a shot to Mitchell. I don't have great confidence even though we're under a moderate risk now. We'll see when the next round of models come out.

Back