6/20/06 NOW: MN / IA / WI / NE / CO / KS

a storm west of seldon kansas is moving east at 50 mph and is capable of producing TENNIS BALL SIZED HAIL and 60+ winds. Yikes! Hail that large can do lots of damage. The storm appears to be a supercell. Storms are on the increase and the whole thing is moving east from Kansas/Nebraska Towards The Iowa/Missouri area. New SVR thunderstorm watch issused for parts of Nebraska and Iowa. Still a chance we could see a tornado or 2 tonight so lets not call this event a bust yet. Especialy when storms out west our capable of producing destructive winds 70+ mph and destructive tennisball sized hail and conditions are still very favorable for SVR storms. Atmosphere is still very or extremely unstable so looks like a nighttime event now. Anybody still chasing? -MatthewCarman.

I think you read the LSR wrong - 60mph winds were estimated by a spotter with dime-sized hail. No tennis balls have been reported, and AE reporting a max estimated hail size of about 1.5"

I think you read the LSR wrong - 60mph winds were estimated by a spotter with dime-sized hail. No tennis balls have been reported, and AE reporting a max estimated hail size of about 1.5"
[/b]

NOAA said the storm west of seldon was capable or producing tennisball size hail. "DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO
INDICATE A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING TENNIS BALL SIZE HAIL"

Sorry for the mistake I forgot to put the word capable in. New TOR warning in Kansas looks like the tornado threat is not over yet.
Decatur county in Kansas is now TOR warned.

Gotcha. It looked like things flared up a bit (AE even up to 3.5" briefly) but have now diminished, but it's also getting far from the radar. Only hail report was 1" so no tennis balls.

I think the TOR was more of a CYA, rotation didn't really look that strong but again it's far from the radar. It was canceled early - what do you see to keep the tornado threat significant overnight?

Still a chance we could see a tornado or 2 tonight so lets not call this event a bust yet. [/b]

The heating today barely removed the cap...just briefly perhaps. With the sun having set long ago now and still very warm 700mb temps I'd say we are safe from tornadoes tonight.....hell the rest of 2006 at this rate.

Ironically, now WI is coming to life, after midnight. Clark County has a fairly nice storm that has been hovering just below 100% POH and VIL around 35 with VILD between 3.5 and 4.0. Could be better but it looks alright. Stuff over Lake Michigan really flared up. And if you look now on the KARX loops you can see a lot of light echoes popping over SW/WC WI. Maybe I will be surprised. Now I have something to watch while I wait for the SWODY1. :D
[/b]

Same thing going on down along the Illinois/Iowa border. Little cells have been trying to develop for the last few hours in that area but are still struggling just as things did all afternoon. Airmass is still primed and shear is still ample over central Illinois should anything decide it finally wants to go up.

Just got back from a clear sky Iowa bust and to top it off a 120 mile ride in a tow truck after Jordan's fuel pump went out from what I can tell. The 2006 funnnnnnnnn continues :p

Back