6/20/05 TALK: CO

We've got an SPC Mesoscale Discussion regarding Severe Thunderstorm Potential for the greater portion of Eastern Colorado, reaching into the NE corner of Colorado, and since there are a number of chasers in that part of the world, I thought I'd open a TALK thread. I'm not getting any data on the page with the particulars at the moment.

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

Wind speed is quite weak in this area, so most of the storms will likely develop, not move anywhere, then collaspe in on themselves. Flooding will again be the biggie of the day followed by hail and downburst winds. Not really chasable storms due to the piling of precip you'll get, but the core punchers of Colorado may have some fun today if they don't get swept downstream. I may venture out of town here shortly if the MD brings up anything useful, otherwise, I'll play spotter locally.

Interestingly, there is a storm about 60 miles NW of Ogallala, NE that currently has the radar shape of a flying eagle, but is flying BACKWARDS. Looks like a hailer for sure.

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

I did play local spotter as I paired up on storms in the western suburbs of Denver. Heavy rains and some peas came down. Had some fun shooting video of the parking lot/lake!

I'm in Colby, Kansas on a cross country tip in the Miata, and while I was watching the Kansas Quick Lube destroy my transmission when we had a small t-storm roll through with dime to nickel size hail, and wind gust up to 35 mph. The storm rolled through at about 6:40ish pm.

Back