6/1 NOW: TX

Tornado watch in effect and FTW has locally upgraded the northern TX to moderate risk...

Cells look to be firing west and southwest of FTW right now. Actually, a very nice hail spike on bref on the cell southwest of FTW. Severe cells also near Wichita Falls.

Since there wasn't a FCST thread, here's a very brief breakdown: RUC pumps CAPE >7000 soon in northcentral/northeastern TX. While this seems a little unrealistic, instability is very strong in northern TX. Additionally, RUC indicates helicity increasing as the hours pass near FTW/DFW.

Post your NOW observations here

storm in southern clay county has a strong meso, has had several BWERs, and has already dropped 2.50" hail 10 W Joy, TX.

turning hard right and SE along the boundary...given sfc obs...should have decent tornado potential....91/70 downstream along the boundary with ESE to SE winds....this storm concerns me as it has FTW in its sights...

storm NW of SPS continues to strengthen...

dominant supercell on radar appears to be in Jack County now... has made transition to HP...still moving SE along the boundary...broad rotation, but probably chucking out very large hail...

FTW still in it's path....

EDIT: Meso has tightened and not as broad...100 kt GTG on lowest velocity tilt in Central Jack County.....

Just heard on the Denton skywarn net that a spotter reported a funnel cloud just west of Fort Worth Drive. No touch down however.

Not good...

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORT WORTH TX
912 PM CDT TUE JUN 1 2004

..TIME.. ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE.. ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION.. ST ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0907 PM TORNADO ARLINGTON 32.69N 97.13W
06/01/2004 TARRANT TX TRAINED SPOTTER

TORNADO IN SOUTHWEST ARLINGTON NEAR INTERSTATE 20 AND

It sucks that there's such a vacuum of information about what happened in Fort Worth and Arlington. The news pages for KXAS/WFAA/KTVT all have no information, and the warning just says a "spotter report" of a tornado. Seems the only way to get reliable information on the outside is to get posts from Stormtrack people who are in the area.

So, what happened there?

Tim

supposedly there is damage in downtown Dallas from straight line winds.. thats from a third party source and can't be confirmed.

CBS is supposedly feeding video from KTVT ch 11 but all I'm seeing is some backhaul from a weather liveshot with no video or damage (can't hear audio right now since I'm on the air too.)

- Rob

NBC and channel 8 are reporting damage in the Arlington area. Some roofs were blown off, and numerous power outages. No reports of injuries so far. Only reports of the tornado came from a trained weather spotter, and doppler indicated. Many reports of straight line winds, and hail.

So far thats all I'm hearing.

Live cams at

http://www.wfaa.com/cams/

and

http://www.nbc5i.com/57811/page.html

I just heard Amos got caught in big hail and sustained vehicle damage.. Hope you're ok Famous Amos!!

Back