6/1/07 REPORTS: KS / OK / TX

Shane Adams

Observed a brief tornado north of Munday this evening. I approached the tornado-warned sup from the northeast, taking US70 southwest from Vernon. East of Crowell, I took 267 south and drove to the 267/1919 intersection. The storm looked undercut, ouflowy, and crappy. It was obviously rotating higher up but nothing could get going downstairs. I ended up commited to 267 and was forced to go west about 3-4 miles into the mouth of this thing before I could get south again (my only other option would've been to give up and head east on 1919 earlier....no thank you). I made it to the south turn and then went into a basic "escape" mode, just flying south to get away from the thing.

I eventually caught up to the end of the gustfront, which began to turn in on itself and rotate rapidly. I stopped a few times over the next five minutes to shoot some video of the rotation. After one of these stops, I got back on the road and drove about a quarter mile when I saw a debris whirl spin up in the field next to me, about a half mile to my west. I stopped and shot video, noting the ground circulation was below the area of intense rotation. The debris cloud looked like a large dust devil, as the milky white clouds above it spun like crazy. After about thirty seconds or so, the debris whirl began to fizzle, but the rotation stayed strong. I should've just stayed there, but I thought it was over, and decided to move further south to stay ahead of it.

About another quarter to half mile later, I looked over my shoulder and saw a vigorous debris swirl shoot up again, this time very intense, looking identical to the orange debris swirl the Mulvane tornado brought up as it dissipated. I pulled over again and went to shoot video....but I'd never stopped recording from the first time I saw the tornado...so when I pushed "record" this time I was really pushing "pause". DOH.....son of a b#$#%!!!!!

But regardless of my dumba$$, it was awesome to see. There was a ragged cone funnel above it, rotating rapidly....within the leading edge of the gustfront. I've never seen anything like it. After it dissipated, I discovered I'd missed the main portion of it on video, and cussed myself as I moved further south. Another orange debris whirl appeared again, this time just east of the road. It lasted about 45 seconds, but seemed more of a gustnado.....but it did form in the same area as the tornado.....but I couldn't see rotation above it so I didn't log it as a nader.

So all in all, a decent forecast, semi-decent chase decisions, and a needle-in-a-haystack tornado....that I managed to at least get a portion of on video. Had I not screwed that up the day would've been a home run......but another tornado another good day regardless.

EDIT: I have about five seconds' worth of the tornado....once I get moved in and settled I'll eventually post an image online.

Last edited by a moderator:
6/1/07 REPORTS: KS

We had a nice line of severe storms come through Friday night. I ended up sitting west of Girard Kansas on highway 47 where I just encountered heavy rains. The lightning was intense, had CG lightning all around me. Here is some video I shot of the lightning and put it in slow motion..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWt9kKGrFTE

Target was I-40 at the TX/NM border. Headed west from AMA when we saw convection on satellite south of TCC. Got on the tail end storm northwest of Clovis. This classic supercell looked great on radar but unfortunately was high based. The storm drifted southeast and cloud base rotation and small funnels were noted over Portales, NM. The storm became outflow dominant as it reached the TX/NM border then evolved into a HP-bow structure racing southeast. We filmed two tornadic gustnadoes (with condensation funnels above) along the leading edge of the surging outflow. Our view of the sun through the pall of dust plumes was spectacular. The sun also illuminated the vaulted (back) side of the shelf cloud in orange and red colors. Then, we sought shelter underneath a carport and let the core go over us just east of Levelland. Encountered near hurricane force wind gusts for about 10-15 minutes, torrential rain, and small hail. A great day. TM

We were on the storm west of Lamesa, TX and may have seen the very end of a tornado...there was a confirmed tornado (SPC report from an off-duty NWS Meteorologist) around the time our pictures were taken:

First two pictures are unedited...the last two are enhanced...there appears to be a definitive difference in contrast between the RFD dust/precip to the right and what appears to be dust/debris underneath the funnel cloud...note the white/clear area separating the possible tornado and the RFD dust/precip.

Is this a tornado? We're close to saying yes, but not positive...thoughts?

We followed the storm all the way to NE of Midland where the updraft took on a beautiful stack of plates appearance.

-Chris Hovanic

Attachments

• 6.1.07-assorted-005_orig-sm.jpg
    6.1.07-assorted-005_orig-sm.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 6.1.07-assorted-006_orig-sm.jpg
    6.1.07-assorted-006_orig-sm.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 6.1.07-assorted-005_tweak-s.jpg
    6.1.07-assorted-005_tweak-s.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 6.1.07-assorted-006_tweak-s.jpg
    6.1.07-assorted-006_tweak-s.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 60
Darin Brunin and I, after much hesitation, intercepted a storm near Thayer, KS and followed it to near the Missouri border. A nice relaxing chase, with some good CG's towards dusk. An amish man was racing home, trying to outrun the shelf, and was greeted to about 15 members of his family waiting outside!

thayer1web.jpg

girardshelfweb.jpg

amish1b.jpg

girardcg3web.jpg

Back