5/9/06 NOW: OK/TX/AR

Sitting in Ada at the Phillips 66 station. Towers beginning to go up and a very thick CU field here at this time. Just waiting for something good to pop as the cap continues to erode.

Chris

Rapidly building cumulus outside the office window here just north of the Metroplex- the air is unbelieveably thick with humidity here. Looks like on hi-res visible satellite shots there's Cu development in north Texas right over Fort Worth and northward.

Good luck to all today.

If I were out I would be sitting in Calvin right now. It has good road options and it is far enough ahead of the boundary intersection to give you time to move North or South if you need to. There are two targets that stand out to me. 1. I think the best target today is boundary intersection. I would get out ahead of it a little ways (Calvin, OK) and watch how storms come off the intersection and dryline. The storm that comes off the area of convergence with unimpeded inflow will be the storm of the day IMO. 2. The second place I like is the dryline just barely North of the Red River. I think this area could see a discrete supercell that could put down a tornado or two.

It looks like the most likely place for initiation is barely SE of Seminole. Blow off from towers is evident in the last vis. satellite image.

It looks like there is an enhanced area of convergence along the dryline in Johnston county. If I were playing the dryline in southern Oklahoma I would set up on the East side of Johnston county. If a storm is going to go down there, I think that is where it will be.
edit - it is starting to seem like I am talking to myself

Cell moving into northwest Sequoyah county, OK now moving strong-right with tightening meso and signs of a hook forming. Along I-40 about 20 miles west of Fort Smith, AR would be a good place to be in the next hour.

Cell moving into northwest Sequoyah county, OK now moving strong-right with tightening meso and signs of a hook forming. Along I-40 about 20 miles west of Fort Smith, AR would be a good place to be in the next hour.
[/b]

Tornado warning until 715 pm CDT for this storm...LOCATED NEAR BOX, OK...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 15 MPH.

Good luck to everyone back in Oklahoma. Dell unfortunately sent me to Round Rock for the next two weeks, though some pretty okay cells to out west - all currently severe warned. The original one, which is still in Gillespie County has done a lot of cycling with its structure - though has had a decent rotation with it for awhile now.

As for Oklahoma...

I like the Coal county storm the best from what I can tell, and also experience down there. Wish I could help on road options, they just stink. 69 may be the best option, but you'll eventually have to let the storm go. Be glad they aren't flying.

Hopefully someone is gonna be on the Sequoyah County storm, but the terrain just stinks there.

I'm not a fan of the tornado parameter, but SPC significant tornado parameter is showing 7 right ahead of the southern most storm that came off the dryline. 3km EHI is 10. Some pretty impressive numbers. I don't see much standing in the way of this storm producing a tornado. Directional shear and deep layer shear leave something to be desired. 0-2km SR winds are 20kts according to SPC mesoscale analysis page, but I don't know if I'm buying that.

Storm approaching McAlester just started showing rotation. It got tornado warned just a minute ago. The area of rotation should go right through town or just South of it.

Tornado just witnessed by the University of South Alabama Chase group near clarite/olney OK.

chaser Erik Perozo is on the northern storm near stuart watching a wall cloud....

Just talked to Eric B' Hymer........Darin Brunin, Nick Grillo, and Jordan Wrecke witnessed a rain-wrapped funnel NW of McAlester, and I believe are ditching this storm for the southern most.

Back