5/9/06 NOW: OK/TX/AR

tornado watch issued for all of SE OK. I'm in McAlester about to head west. good luck to everyone out there today. Yay for May.

we're still sittin in Mcalester. Cu field is just not happenin right now...but there's time. hope the ruc is right.

Sitting in Ada at the Phillips 66 station. Towers beginning to go up and a very thick CU field here at this time. Just waiting for something good to pop as the cap continues to erode.

Chris

Rapidly building cumulus outside the office window here just north of the Metroplex- the air is unbelieveably thick with humidity here. Looks like on hi-res visible satellite shots there's Cu development in north Texas right over Fort Worth and northward.

Good luck to all today.

Convective initiation, convective initiation! Ocfuskee and Hughes counties, OK. Very fast, tops to 40,000 ft. quickly....right in the bullseye. Hope we have some chasers out on this.

If I were out I would be sitting in Calvin right now. It has good road options and it is far enough ahead of the boundary intersection to give you time to move North or South if you need to. There are two targets that stand out to me. 1. I think the best target today is boundary intersection. I would get out ahead of it a little ways (Calvin, OK) and watch how storms come off the intersection and dryline. The storm that comes off the area of convergence with unimpeded inflow will be the storm of the day IMO. 2. The second place I like is the dryline just barely North of the Red River. I think this area could see a discrete supercell that could put down a tornado or two.

It looks like the most likely place for initiation is barely SE of Seminole. Blow off from towers is evident in the last vis. satellite image.

It looks like there is an enhanced area of convergence along the dryline in Johnston county. If I were playing the dryline in southern Oklahoma I would set up on the East side of Johnston county. If a storm is going to go down there, I think that is where it will be.
edit - it is starting to seem like I am talking to myself

Tornado warning on the coal county storm.....just entered coal county myself...........trying to decide best way to get to the base

Cell moving into northwest Sequoyah county, OK now moving strong-right with tightening meso and signs of a hook forming. Along I-40 about 20 miles west of Fort Smith, AR would be a good place to be in the next hour.

Cell moving into northwest Sequoyah county, OK now moving strong-right with tightening meso and signs of a hook forming. Along I-40 about 20 miles west of Fort Smith, AR would be a good place to be in the next hour.
[/b]

Tornado warning until 715 pm CDT for this storm...LOCATED NEAR BOX, OK...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 15 MPH.

Good luck to everyone back in Oklahoma. Dell unfortunately sent me to Round Rock for the next two weeks, though some pretty okay cells to out west - all currently severe warned. The original one, which is still in Gillespie County has done a lot of cycling with its structure - though has had a decent rotation with it for awhile now.

As for Oklahoma...

I like the Coal county storm the best from what I can tell, and also experience down there. Wish I could help on road options, they just stink. 69 may be the best option, but you'll eventually have to let the storm go. Be glad they aren't flying.

Hopefully someone is gonna be on the Sequoyah County storm, but the terrain just stinks there.

I'm not a fan of the tornado parameter, but SPC significant tornado parameter is showing 7 right ahead of the southern most storm that came off the dryline. 3km EHI is 10. Some pretty impressive numbers. I don't see much standing in the way of this storm producing a tornado. Directional shear and deep layer shear leave something to be desired. 0-2km SR winds are 20kts according to SPC mesoscale analysis page, but I don't know if I'm buying that.

Storm approaching McAlester just started showing rotation. It got tornado warned just a minute ago. The area of rotation should go right through town or just South of it.

Tornado just witnessed by the University of South Alabama Chase group near clarite/olney OK.

chaser Erik Perozo is on the northern storm near stuart watching a wall cloud....

Just talked to Eric B' Hymer........Darin Brunin, Nick Grillo, and Jordan Wrecke witnessed a rain-wrapped funnel NW of McAlester, and I believe are ditching this storm for the southern most.

Significant tornadic event beginning to rapidly unfold across eastern portions of Oklahoma, including the McAlester area. Storm moving towards the Fort Smith area has a pretty classic flying eagle radar presentation. Boy do I wish it weren't finals week!

060509a.gif

EDIT: also TOR-warned storm near Iowa City, Iowa has a spotter-reported funnel cloud associated with it as of the latest SVS at 730CDT.

Perhaps now would be a good time to change the title of this thread to reflect the full impact of the severe weather threat.... This system is actually affecting OK, TX, MO, and AR.

Also, i would be careful to call this a major tornadic event as there does not appear to be any storms with confirmed tornadoes at this time. One supercell with a decent hook for quite a while now, but haven't seen any reports from it.

4.5" hail reported in the east Tx panhandle south of Shamrock near Samnorwood in Collingsworth county. Also baseball size hail now heading directly at Childress.

No tornado warning on these so far but they will move into better shear in Oklahoma

Sitting here in Antlers on the Indian Nation Turnpike.........was one the Coal County/Atoka County storm.......if you can call it that........now I know why they call SE OK the jungle. Got a good look at a very nice wall cloud near Atoka.........but after about 5 minutes of viewing it the storm passed over some hills and trees and that was that. Oh well.....didnt expect much today. Raining like heck here in Antlers and looks like it will be for some time as this line is barely moving.

Jay:

I just noticed that 4.50" hail report as well. It sure does look like those 3 apparent tornadic supercells in the far Eastern TX panhandle are the best show in town right now. 10-15 minutes of golfball to baseball sized hail near childress. Ouch!! Anyway, those storms sure look like they mean business and they also look very capable of producing tornadoes anytime now.

0905 PM HAIL SAMNORWOOD 35.06N 100.28W
05/09/2006 E4.50 INCH COLLINGSWORTH TX LAW ENFORCEMENT
WINDSHIELDS BROKEN OUT

EDIT: I am baffled that the 1 supercell is not tornado warned. It is exhibiting intense Gate 2 Gate shear right now and one heck of near perfect hook.

tornado being reported on the ground IN the city of Childress by Jason Boggs and Matt Hines. Apparently it is moving through tghe north side of the city. Multiple power flashes and backlit by lightning. Warning has just been issued.

tornado being reported on the ground IN the city of Childress by Jason Boggs and Matt Hines. Apparently it is moving through tghe north side of the city. Multiple power flashes and backlit by lightning. Warning has just been issued.[/b]

OH NO! according to the latest LSR, significant damage was done to the city of Childress (pop. ~6500) by this tornado. looking for more information now.

http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KLUB/0605100301.nwus54.html

This hurts to watch. I conceived saddling up and riding out that way when I watched that tower blow it's top earlier on this evening. I had a feeling in my gut. Nothing else to contribute except the warning is reissued and the hook is hugging 287.

Tornado on the ground with the Collin County TX storm as of 1029CT; power flashes just north of Anna. SVS says it's heading toward Westminster.

060509anna.gif

New warning for the adjacent county related to this cell -- spotters reporting a large tornado on the ground 5NE Anna.

Back