5/12/04 Reports: KS,CO

Had to work all day so missed out on the KS fun.... was sad at first, but decided to give the dryline a shot in W. OK. MAN DID IT PAY OFF!!! Got an amazing LP storm near Gotebo, OK which is simply one of the best supercells I have seen. It also displayed some funky splits.... check out the pictures... there is a mirror backwards looking LP attached to it on the backside.

Very weird stuff, I gotta go back and look at radar and try and make some sense of it all. At anyrate, the cell gave us an impressive show.

www.convectionconnection.com/CHASE-051204/

Sneak Peak:
[Broken External Image]:http://ww2.convectionconnection.com:8080/CHASE-051204/crw_9469_std.jpg

Aaron

Well this isnt a report for Kansas or Colorado but for North Texas. I chased some crappy storms compared to the Kansas stuff in Western North Texas. There were some big hail reports in Southwest Oklahoma of up to tennis balls near Gotebo. I chased the cells in knox & Wilbarger counties but these cells were high based & outflow dominate. The Knox cell did briefly become HPish but soon died out. Ill have some pics later at http://www.texhomastormchasers.com

I did just get off the cell with Kenneth McCallister who chased in Southern Kansas today along with half of the resident stormchasers of Oklahoma lol. He said he had the best chase of his life with as many as seven tornadoes two of which were large & lasted as long as 20 min each! These were from the cell near the Attica area where damage was reported. Im sure Kenneth will have pics & vidcaps posted soon as he says he took a ton of pics. Yeah you can rub it in Kenneth.....alot of us should have went to Kansas including myself. Looks like the added kick these cells needed occured at the right place at the right time....Kenneth also reports Karen Rhoden, Tim Marshall, & The DOW team were on these cells......YEAH KENNETH! YOUR MY HERO! :p

I have way too much to post right now, but wanted to say WOW!! Seven tornadoes on the day, 6 before dark, one after dark. Here's a sample of what's coming.. this was taken near Sharon, Kansas about 7ish this evening. Much much more later!

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tornadoeskick.com/Sharon.jpg

Amos, Scott, and myself among others enjoyed an incredible show.. its going to be the weekend before I get all of this up, but 7 confirmed tornadoes through south Kansas. Wow wow wow!

Kyle Poage, a forecaster from Topeka, and I chased a line of storms from Sitka to the east,
and intercepted a low contrast tornado at 714 pm. We think the tornado was about 5 miles
south of Medicine Lodge. It lasted into the rope stage until 722 pm. We then went north
to chase a lowering near Pratt that did not produce. So we missed several more tornados
on tail end charlie from Sharon to Attica.

See my quickly made picture page at:
http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.com/~fkruse...e/MedLodge.html

As Tony posted, we had an amazing chase day, observing one of the great supercells I've ever seen from early initiation through rapid cycling that produced between 5 and 7 tornadoes, including three large tornadoes, of which the Attica tube was one.

I'm very tired but will begin my report and post at least two or three images before I go to bed tonight.

Thoughts are with the people of Attica and other communities in south Kansas tonight. Hope all the chasers made it across State Road 2 safely--more on that later.

Well, I'm glad everyone had a great chase in south Kansas.......I on the other hand want to pull my hair out at this moment. There were two cells that initially popped west of Medicine Lodge, Kansas.....a cell to the southwest of Sun City and a cell to the southwest of M.L. Guess what, I chased the storm southwest of Sun City..... :cry: and we all know what happened with the storm to the southwest of M.L. That's all I have to say. I guess everyone makes the wrong decision...and I based my decision on the idea the shear would be greater to the north....big time ERROR!
I hope everyone made it out ok today, people who lost homes and chasers. Well get after it tomoroow.

Barber and Harper county Kansas

Eight tornadoes today. I had one close call with two tornadoes on the ground at the same time, I had to reverse to miss the first one that crossed the road right in front of me and then the second one which was a big dirt filled stove pipe that was about a quarter to half mile to my South. Incredible storm, it just was putting them down one after another. A lot of them were weak, but there was three or four that were pretty impressive. Right at dark there was very large funnel that touched down and quickly became rain wrapped, but I was to the east of it and could see it for several minutes before it became a wall of haze and it looked fairly strong. I sure wasn't expecting eight tornadoes, I would have been happy with a funnel.

I have a remarkable pic of the Attica tornado, from about 100 yards west of the tornado. No other chaser could be seen on this side of the storm. Dave Williams and I videoed it and heard and watched it destroy a barn-- got it all on video and digital camera== how I can upload it on this site?[/img]

REPORT: May 12, 2004 South Kansas Tornadoes

Okay, here's some photos with timestamps. I'm not going to locate these geographically until I'm more certain. This chase will have to be reconstructed with radar loops and GPS log files. I'm sure the number of tornadoes involved will be a subject of debate. If we counted all the rapid dust rotations we saw between the major tornadoes, we might count in the double digits. But I'm convinced these were the same circulations that eventually filled in and produced the big stovepipes and tubes, so I think I saw five tornadoes, the next to last of which I barely beat across State Road 2--something I did not do on purpose.

I can't say I never saw anything in Kansas again.

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://www.blacklandprairie.net/images/chase2004/12May2004/2004may10-052TOR1-723thumb.jpg[/url]
Tornado # 1 7:23 PM
(click to enlarge)

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://www.blacklandprairie.net/images/chase2004/12May2004/2004may10-082TOR3-813thumb.jpg[/url]
Tornado # 3 8:13 PM
(click to enlarge)

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://www.blacklandprairie.net/images/chase2004/12May2004/2004may10-086TOR3-814thumb.jpg[/url]
Tornado # 3 8:13 PM
(click to enlarge)

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://www.blacklandprairie.net/images/chase2004/12May2004/2004may10-087TOR3-845thumb.jpg[/url]
Tornado # 3 8:14 PM
(click to enlarge)

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://www.blacklandprairie.net/images/chase2004/12May2004/2004may10-092TOR4-837thumb.jpg[/url]
Tornado # 4 8:37 PM (shot this while racing the tornado across State Road 2. Photo is blurry. Video will be better for this one.)
(click to enlarge)

Many thanks to Steve Miller, Jeff Gammons, and Jeff Lawson for nowcasting, and my chase partners Scott Eubanks, Tony Laubach, David, and Curt.

Best chase of my career thus far.. Saw some awesome structure and baseball hail. Oh yeah, and 7 tornadoes!

Will make this brief since I am tired... Saw the small yet photogenic tornado southwest of Sharron. Then saw a relatively short-lived (1-2min) tornado south of Attica. The RFD was kicking up a lot of dust and dirt at this time also... Was on the east side of Attica on 160 when the third tornado dropped. We actually had to back up, as our position would end up being in the damage path. Tornado passed about 500-1000 feet east of us, with very rapid rotation. Unfortunately, we did see a house on the southeast side of Attica lose its roof and several walls... As the Attica tornado roped out and dissapated, saw another tornado to its east-southeast. This was more of a dirt-nado, but was definately a tornado nonetheless... Was afraid the rotation was going to cross 160, so we headed some and east on some po-dunk roads. Saw another large tornado northwest of Anthony as the sun was setting... Contrast and visibility were quite poor, and since night was falling, we started to head south to get home. However, when in Anthony, saw a beautiful tornado to the north-northwest. While it was dark, incessant lightning behind it made for some beautiful shots...

A couple things to note: This supercell had the most intense RFD I have seen to date... The RFD was quite warm... Cloud bases seemed a little high for strong tornadoes... There was a nice mid-level funnel immediately to the west of the Attica tornado while the tornado was in progress... I'll put up vid and pics Friday, assuming tomorrow is a chase day...

Originally posted by George Flickinger
I have a remarkable pic of the Attica tornado, from about 100 yards west of the tornado. No other chaser could be seen on this side of the storm. Dave Williams and I videoed it and heard and watched it destroy a barn-- got it all on video and digital camera== how I can upload it on this site?[/img]

George,
You can't upload to Stormtrack... you must save it to a webpage/server and link back to it on this board....

I think we saw the same tornado from the same distance as you... We were about 500 ft west of it on the far eastern side of Attica as it was destroying a house...

Dwain Warner and I convoyed with my girlfriend Jo Radel, Chad Lawson, Mickey Ptak, and his bro-in-law (sorry his name escapes me right now).

Here's the gist, cause it's too late and I'm too tired for details:

We observed 3 tornadoes in southern Kansas today (possibly more pending reports/surveys/etc)

First one was a brief anticyclonic dust whirler about 4 miles NW of Kiowa, just across the border. A brief dust whirl developed below an anticyclonically-rotating cinnamon swirl. (RFD prior to this was gusting up to 50-60mph).

About 2-3 minutes after the anticyclonic tornado dissipated, the storm put down a 20-minute beauty , easily the most spectacular tornado of my career. It formed about a half-mile NE of us, appearing as a white nub funnel with an orange dust column working its way up to the funnel base. Eventually, the funnel worked its way down to form an amazing, slender truncated cone.....which was perfectly sunlit and ghostly white. After several more minuts, the funnel filled in completely to the ground, then became shrouded in orange dust. The surface rotation was quite intense, I'd estimate low-end F2 if it hit anything. This tornado was a dream.

Unfortunately, tornado number three hit the east side of Attica. We sincerely hope the injuries weren't life-threatening.

Quick update....I was wondering how we missed 4 of the tornadoes that everyone else saw......we were stopped in Attica (we were west of town following the tornado from probably 5 miles away) by a police roadblock and forced to turn back....so hence our miss of everything along the KS 2 corridor. I had a feeling that fat cop was costing us more. LOL, came walking up to the car yelling at me to turn around, while standing right in front of the car and I've got other vehicles immediately to my right.....I needed room to turn a uie. I wasn't pleased with his shitty attitude and I let him know it by spitting gravel as I whipped the car around headed back west. I know this may piss some of you off, but there was no reason for the guy to scream at me....I was one of about 100 cars in that line.

Other than Attica being hit, this was an awesome day. Looks like round two tomorrow.....

It was a great day, saw 4 tornadoes and tons of meso's. Lance and I got a lot of pics and will post an account tomorrow, for now I need to go to sleep. Here is one of my better pics of the day.

[Broken External Image][/b]:[URL]http://students.ou.edu/M/Jason.J.Montano-1/12%20May%202004/ST10%20edit.jpg][Broken External Image]:http://students.ou.edu/M/Jason.J.Montano-1/12 May 2004/ST10 edit.jpg[/url]

*EDIT: Darn, I don't know what I did to that pic while trying to down-size it but it looks like crap now. I will have the rest of my pics on my website probably on Friday.

My goodness!!

Not sure what else can be said about this day, but I'll try! Everything's pretty much a blur right now. I also saw 3 tornadoes, including one very dramatic-looking one from the Chapparal (sp?) High School parking lot right at nightfall about 9 to 9:10pm.

#1 was perhaps 5 miles south of Medicine Lodge. Didn't see it start, but got some video once we got up on a hill and looked to the east southeast.
#2 was very intense for me. I was behind two other chasers and we headed east into Attica. A few miles outside of town, sporadic golf balls with a few tennis balls started up. Once into town, I noticed their vehicles ducking for cover wherever a spare carport was available. I found mine off the main street and was scanning around for a clear view. I didn't like having the trees around at all. I looked up into an opening and saw a clear slot developing basically overhead. With no hesitation, I bolted west out of town in a *hurry*. Got about a mile west of town and started shooting video of the entire (at least to my eye) life cycle of the Attica tornado. I couldn't quite see the base due to trees and I was very concerned about the town.
After it dissipated (just guessing elapsed time was about 10 minutes, it will be interesting to see what the tape says) I filmed a local who picked up a legitimate baseball on the side of the road. I needed a little time to regroup and eventually I crossed past the roadblock on a couple of dirt roads to the north and east of Attica. There was very little rain and no lightning that I noticed.

Kept hearing ALL SORTS of chasers on some storm off to the east/northeast of Attica. Drove east for a while and from the back, we got in heavy rain and quite dark conditions. Now it wasn't easy at all to make out what was going on. Unsure of what time this was. Perhaps 8, 8:15? After the close call in Attica, I wasn't willing to try punching and seeing the other side.

Bailed south at the Hwy 2/160 intersection and by now it was almost dark. Saw some lowerings in the thin slice of dull orange off to the west. Pulled into the Chapparal HS parking lot and filmed. At 9pm, a new tornado formed (estimated) 3-4 miles to my west. Called it in to 911 just in case. It looked like it meant business. Had nightshot on and again, I'll be curious to see how it looked. This tornado became a real nice elephant trunk and got closer as it moved to the northeast. Not sure who might have seen this one. My impression was that most chasers had gone off to the northeast a ways.

The Chapparal HS tornado got closer and it was fully dark by now. Fairly frequent lightning helped. I didn't like the closeness and bailed back to the south on 160. Ran into some friendly local cops. One guy was from Attica and he confirmed for me that nobody was hurt in Attica. I did shoot video of the house that got whacked. It was on its own, about 1/2 to 3/4 mile east of Attica. Attica itself did NOT get hit. The house had the roof completely gone and a few nearby trees were basically stripped. Looked F2'ish to me. Maybe F3. I'll let the experts debate.

Kept hearing more chaser reports of a large tornado during the 9:15-10pm timeframe. I'd be curious to see their GPS logs. I'm low-tech and don't have that yet. I didn't want any more trouble and I broke off toward Arthur. Found a few folks who were closing up McDonalds. One had a scanner and all sorts of reports of road closures (mostly 160) coming in. Hoped to God that nobody had gotten hurt and no chasers had gotten munched. Lacking radar, I had no desire to go back toward the hot spot. But I bet it was tasty. :)

In Enid, and need to sleep and get ready for tomorrow.

Thanks to those who helped. Special props to Tony for his wi-fi and laptop help in Hays on Tuesday night. Tony, I've got wi-fi here at the Ramada in Enid! It works, LOL.

Back