4/7/04: NOW

• Thread starter Jason A.C. Brock
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason A.C. Brock

TORNADO SIRENS SOUNDED IN WICHITA FALLS.

Today to the amazement of several residents of the Wichita Falls area the tornado sirens were sounded at 2:15pm. Just minutes earlier on KFDX TV 3 a special weather statement was issued on the air aurging residents that some funnel clouds were possible in the area but these were cold air funnel & no severe weather was likely or occuring in the area. Sheppard Air Force Base fighter training pilots reported the funnel over the city first & then a local Sheriff reported the funnel as well. A bit later a local storm spotter reported the funnel just East of the local prison. The sirens were then sounded at 2:15. I myself went out into my front yard to see what the commotion was about. There to to North Northeast was a large funnel which was lifting back from 3/4 of the way from the ground to about halfway to the ground. I ran quickly inside & grabbed the camcorder & took the above vidcap. The funnel then rapidly desipated. Many residents were mad becuase the sirens were sounded when it was apparent the funnel had no rotation & was not a threat. Mant residents wanted to know why the sirens were sounded today & not on March 4th when a very strong line of severe storms moved into the area producing winds to 91 mph which caused very severe damage to localized areas of Wichita Falls ripping roofs off of houses & flipping cars while a tornado warning was in effect. One local TV station reported the sirens should have been blown. The other TV station had an individual from the Wichita County EMS who apaologized for the sirens being blown 7 that it was a mistake & would never happen again. So whats the deal? I am sure this will be up for some pretty good debate over the next few days at least.

I am sure this should have been posted in the NOW topic but there was none for today & I didnt get a reply from any moderators so anyone feel free to move it to a better location if needed.

BTW The pic will be posted at http://www.texhomastormchasers.com/page6.html later this evening.

Cold air funnels _do_ have rotation, although I agree they should not be siren'ed for. I tried to hit your page for pics but your page tried to install software on my computer and then played obnoxious noises so I passed ;>

I was just going to comment on the same thing but Rdale beat me too it.

Is it possible for you to hotlink to your images vs refer us to your webpage..I don't appreciate sites that try to install spyware on my system (comet cursor)

Thanks

<commentary>

This kind of thing is what makes improving public warning response so challenging. The public has been conditioned by the media to believe any funnel cloud they see is potentially deadly (as many storm chasers have been conditioned to call every little dust whirl traversing a plowed field near a thunderstorm a "tornado", but I digress...).

So, here's a case of a well-developed funnel cloud easily visible in a city of 100,000. If the sirens don't sound, and a warning is not issued, it's taken by many that the warning system failed. If warnings are issued and sirens are sounded for every event like this, it becomes harder to get people's attention the next time a rain-wrapped F5 is approaching.

</commentary>

Originally posted by rdale
Cold air funnels _do_ have rotation, although I agree they should not be siren'ed for. I tried to hit your page for pics but your page tried to install software on my computer and then played obnoxious noises so I passed ;>

:lol: It's not that god aweful comet cursor is it?

Originally posted by David Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Drummond)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-rdale

:lol: It's not that god aweful comet cursor is it?[/b]

Yup.. when I click a page and stuff tries to install I don't care if its Jimmie Johnson in all his glory pictures its getting the X in the top right hand corner.

If you knew the whole story you may have a different opinion on the sirens being blown or not. It seems that here when the sirens should be blown that they arent and when they shouldnt they are. People get hurt and roofs come off and people ask why the sirens werent sounded. Today I probably would have blown the sirens as well. Also note that I didnt say that cold air funnels dont rotate. I agree that they do. This one didnt seem to be but im sure it was somewhat then again if it wasnt rotating I guess it may have not been a funnel. If that was the case then the sirens really shouldnt have been sounded :p.
Also I thought the comet cursor software gave an option to either load the application or not. If it doesnt allow you to choose I may remove it altogether. No need to let me know if it does or not becuase ill check it out. The sounds on the site will stay because I like them and think they are cool and they annoy people. WARNING: Adjust your volume!

P.S. I also have to look at alot of stuff on this site I dont like but I deal with it :p.

BTW the P.S. was a joke!!!!!! Dont anyone go running off now :)

Originally posted by mrobinson+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrobinson)</div>
Originally posted by David Drummond@
<!--QuoteBegin-rdale

:lol: It's not that god aweful comet cursor is it?

Yup.. when I click a page and stuff tries to install I don't care if its Jimmie Johnson in all his glory pictures its getting the X in the top right hand corner.[/b]

Agreed. Comet cursor is the bane of my existance, right next to Real Player. I wanted to see that picture too!

well Jason if you want people to see your images then I'd suggest you hotlink them cause I've had more than one complaint about your site not being user friendly..

I have removed the comet cursor software. When it was first installed the the problem did not exist with the annoying pop ups etc. Also if anyone has problems with the site please use the email provided on the website and not mrobinson as she has no business with the T.A.S.C. site. There is a email link on the site for such purposes.

I am sure there were no ill or sarcastic meanings in anyones replies but some people tend to come off on the side of sarcastic toned replies and messages at times. I have had more than one complaint about this from other memebers of the website who periodically check the email on the site & it always seems when there is something "controversial" or "peoples feathers are being ruffled" certain specific individuals are always on the other end.

The pics will not be hotlinked & anyone visiting the site should have no more problems. Suggestions & comments are welcome through the email provided on the website. Sarcastic undertones & mischevious wording are not.

I am sure ill have no problems with those who post in this forum anyways :).

Take care and watch out for Friday!

Originally posted by Jason A.C. Brock
I have removed the comet cursor software. When it was first installed the the problem did not exist with the annoying pop ups etc. Also if anyone has problems with the site please use the email provided on the website and not mrobinson as she has no business with the T.A.S.C. site. There is a email link on the site for such purposes.

I am sure there were no ill or sarcastic meanings in anyones replies but some people tend to come off on the side of sarcastic toned replies and messages at times. I have had more than one complaint about this from other memebers of the website who periodically check the email on the site & it always seems when there is something \"controversial\" or \"peoples feathers are being ruffled\" certain specific individuals are always on the other end.

The pics will not be hotlinked & anyone visiting the site should have no more problems. Suggestions & comments are welcome through the email provided on the website. Sarcastic undertones & mischevious wording are not.

I am sure ill have no problems with those who post in this forum anyways :).

Take care and watch out for Friday!

Jason when I say complaints about it and they bring it to me it is because you are linking to it from HERE.. which is my business. Its not a big deal to hotlink and if you have removed the problem thats wonderful.. the entire goal here is that we want to see your pictures but we don't want to be spammed with popups, spyware or have our ears assulted because of it. You want to share your pictures and we really want to see them.. its not a flame nor sarcastic, its a request. Make it easier for people to get to your site so you can show off your work.... not harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back