4/24/06 NOW: KS/OK

Looks like the true dryline/cold front is finally starting to show its hand in northeast Kiowa Co. OK per latest visible imagery and 524pm KTLX base reflectivity.

Hopefully chasers aren't getting overly distracted by the line of supes from ICT south, which still do not appear to be sufficiently rooted in the boundary layer and are likely producing little more than some very large hail - - - my feeling is that there is appreciable convergence still further west closer to the triple point, and the dryline appears to be making a bulge to the northeast. There is a pocket of Cu running in a line from Woods into Major and Alfalfa counties that I would be more interested in watching at this point. It appears to be firming up a bit. So far, not that impressive of an afternoon in all, but that could change shortly -

Hopefully chasers aren't getting overly distracted by the line of supes from ICT south, which still do not appear to be sufficiently rooted in the boundary layer and are likely producing little more than some very large hail - - - my feeling is that there is appreciable convergence still further west closer to the triple point, and the dryline appears to be making a bulge to the northeast. There is a pocket of Cu running in a line from Woods into Major and Alfalfa counties that I would be more interested in watching at this point. It appears to be firming up a bit. So far, not that impressive of an afternoon in all, but that could change shortly -
[/b]

It does appear as if there is some new convection firing along the dry line in Kiowa and Tillman counties in southwest Oklahoma. Hopefully they have a better chance of staying discrete, as the first set of storms was a multicellular cluster way to fast.

Derek and I are now currently sitting in the Hennessey library checking out some more info. For the last two hours we have continually watched impressive-looking towers go up and subsequently disconnect from their bases....seems to be a bit of a cap issue at the moment. It was really interesting hitting the OFB along hwy 51 eastbound between here and Okeene as the wind shifted from the WSW at about 20 to ENE at about 10-15. We couldn't be better situated in reference to the triple point and we are just going to sit here and wait for something to finally sustain itself.

Boom! Two discrete cells have exploded along the dryline in W SW Okla. Cape is btw 4000-4500 j/kg. With that type of instability we should see some large hail and rotation, even though shear is rather week, large instability may be able to force some low level rotation :unsure:

In addition to the nice storms (with great overshooting tops) that have fired along the dryline in SW Oklahoma, Lance is probably in a pretty good position - there is another group of towers that appear to be on the verge of initiation (if not already initiating) just southwest of Hennessey. Looks to me like the real show is finally starting up -

I'm still eyeing that area around Alva to Wakita too ...

There is a pocket of Cu running in a line from Woods into Major and Alfalfa counties that I would be more interested in watching at this point. It appears to be firming up a bit. So far, not that impressive of an afternoon in all, but that could change shortly -
[/b]

Unfortunately, a layer of very dry air between 10,000 and 15,000 ft has surged into that area from the SW. Convection initiated at the DL/OBF triple point in southeastern Woods CO, and the entrainment of this dry air into the updraft killed it. So, it looks like things are probably not going to happen there at this point.

- bill

Cell in Central Caddo County getting its act together...but as the cf overtakes the dl, we are transitioning to linear, and you can see this already on the returns.

If it can stay discrete and not get disrupted in the next 1-2 hours, will be interesting to see what happens with it. Screaming eagle look developing, tops over 45kft, VIL >= 65, and some organizing rotation at T2 & T3. I don't like WxTap's velocity products, and it's times like these that I wish I had my Windows box and GRLevel3 handy ;)

EDIT: And the cell in Caddo Cty is getting disrupted as the cf/dl is starting to fill in. Wonder if anyone is playing a tail-end charlie down in SW OK?

The cell approaching Tulsa isn't looking to bad, the low level rotation has weakend significantly but it sitll shows a strong mesocyclone and appendage.

I think the Tulsa storm is actually looking better, I think its interference with being so close to the radar might be making it look like it has weaker rotation but when you check it out from a different radar sight it looks pretty mean

KFOR helicopter showing slightly rotating lowering on the El Reno supercell. Running out of light, but it looks intense enough to do something here soon.

EDIT:

funnel cloud just slithered down to near ground level, strong updraft forming near the base, TOR WARNED now

cam3.jpg

TULSA WEBCAM

Does KFOR stream coverage?

Tornado on the ground moving east in El Reno, Channel 4 helicopter showing it live. Tornado is growing from a rope to decent wedge right now.

Southwest of Downtown El Reno

EDIT:
Two tornados now, first rope tornado moving east and dissipating
Second tornado formed south of first one, second one is much more intense

2nd EDIT:

Second torando just hit EL Reno airport and hit several hangers.
First tornado reintensifying and becom,ing more prominent, Both tornados currently roped out and doing damage

Back