4/21/04 RPTS: OK/KS

I have a different story, i was on the cell that initiated over Henryetta,Ok. I left SE KS at 1230pm and headed south to my target of Henryetta.I arrived shortly before 1600 and the cell that hit FT.Smith was already going but i didnt believe i could intercept so i stayed put and waited for more convection to happen. When i pulled in for gas, i saw the Tulsa Channel 6 satellite truck sitting there so i decided to go talk with them. They had 6 guys from CNN waiting to go on the chase with them. They were some nice folks and i enjoyed chatting with them. I called Dave Crowley to see where he was chasing and he said they were on a Tor Warned cell near OKC. By this time, a cell was going up right over my head so i decided i would stay with this one. I followed it to Muskogee county where nws tul put out a thunderstorm warning with rotation in the storm. I saw this cell produce 4 different wall clouds and several funnels but no touchdowns that i could see. The RFD in this storm was quite strong at times with probably 50+ mph winds. As i got north of Muskogee the roads were a problem and i could not stay se of the wall cloud any longer. I believe it went below severe limits after this as i heard no new warnings on this cell. All in all, a decent day for me, but my wife was angry that we drove that far and didnt see a nader.

Thanks to Gary Kimball for nowcasting for me.

We were on the stuff as it fired in Chickashea and followed it as it began to mature and produced that large wall cloud that most saw near Purcell. Not sure why some said it was not rotating, because it was. Once I finally get done chasing and back home looks like on Saturday now I will post a vide clip of it. Can't do that too well with dialup where I am now. Stayed with that a while to see a couple more wall clouds and then decided to drop to the next storm south. As we manuvered into position we saw a very nice mid level cold air funnel that persisted for over 5 minutes and was very well formed. After that just wall clouds under high based stuff with a couple of clear slots rotating in and that was about it! Been on the road since Monday chasing and out for another round again today in OK! :shock:

Jason Montano and I were also unsuccessful as well, but all in all, not a bad day considering we saw some awesome structure. We left Norman and headed toward Pauls Valley at 1230 and waited in Pauls Valley until about 3 until things finally started going up to the south of the OKC storm.

We decided that we wanted to focus our efforts on the southern extent of the line as we felt that any storms that developed in that region were in a more favorable environment for tornadic activity. We left Pauls Valley and headed west to Lindsay where we dropped south. At this time, storms were really getting going in our vicinity and we followed a rapidly developing cell south of Lindsay back through Elmore City and then to I35 where we met up with quite a decent hail shower.

We regrouped in Pauls Valley and got a fresh radar update, then deciding to stick with the cell we were on (deciding against the Purcell storm as it appeared that it would get cutoff by our storm). We followed this cell east toward Ada, navigating many rural roads which I was afraid we might get stuck on until we were about 5 miles west of Hwy 1 and Roff. At this location, we saw a rapidly lowering wall cloud and much better rotation than we had seen all day. At one point, it appeared as if the whole wall cloud was going to come down to the ground. Also, the upward motion of scud into this wall cloud was very fast. We followed this lowering north on hwy 1 and then to hwy 3, where we decided to call it a day and head home.

We saw that too near Ada. The vertical velocities were pretty intense going up into that particular wall cloud. We could tell if the wall cloud was rotating or not, but the rain/clear slot RFD wrapped around it pretty nicely. We too stayed on this until it got dark and then packed it in.

Heading for Ardmore today!

21 April

Well Lance summed it up just wanted to say that I have the pics from yesterday on my website now. I also uploaded the crappy pics I got from 19 April.

Heading SE of Norman Today, not sure where yet.

2004 04 21 Tulsa chase

Drove down from Denver Wednesday and chased the line moving east towards Tulsa. Here is a screen grab of the radar as I drove east on HW412. http://www.geocities.com/stormchaserco/200...40421radar1.jpg Had to pull over as the rain was too intense to drive in and all viewing was obscured. Learned later that 2 mobile homes had been destroyed in Silver City near the time that I had been in the area. Luckily they were vacant but a guy was set to move in to one of them.

Back