4/16/06 NOW: Midwest

rdale

EF5
AE indicating 3.5" hail along US150 west of Bloomington IL, and large area of VIL > 128 with that supercell moving ENE.

Just north of Bloomington there's a tight couplet, strong shear. SPC has upgraded the tornado probability to 15%. Storms are just exploding along the cold front it looks like. Looks like today could be a good show!

Wow, huge G2G on the storm that recently passed right over Decatur. I sure hope a tornado did not just rake Decatur. Echo tops of 50-55k feet on that storm according to IND shortly ago.

BTW: IL webcams here

Champaign County, IL including the city of Champaign, IL is under a tornado warning. Having a hard time trying to find it on radar to indicate rotation though. Central IL/IN udnder a tornado watch until 9:00 CDT

EDIT: Just happened to veiw ILX velocity radar on COD's website looking like there is a possible tornado on the ground in central Champaign County.

"looking like there is a possible tornado on the ground in central Champaign County."

Radar can never indicate a tornado on the ground... It looks more like that supercell is becoming outflow dominated and lining out.

No tornadoes have been reported in nearly an hour. I think it's getting too messy to worry about a significant tornado event in eastern IL.

The cell riding the warm front in Clinton County, IN has been holding my interest for a while now, as it leaves a trail of storm reports (a few hail and one funnel cloud as of this writing) behind it. It's small, isolated, and has had some decent compact rotation for a while now. Even if it doesn't drop a tornado, it should still be a pretty nice supe to photograph.

I noticed that as well - 3D views show it has a very distinct edge to it all through 40K. However looks like there are plenty of low clouds all around Indiana so vis probably is quite limited.

I'm surprised the cell near Chicago started rotating - I realize it's moving into an area of high 0-1 SRH, it just doesn't appear to be very bulky!

very nice TVS on the cell south of effingham, Il. this cell has really gotten organized in the last few minuets.

EDIT: the cell north of indy appears to be splitting! i'd really keep an eye on the right mover hugging close to the warm front.

the cell north of effingham is coming together nicely now. it should be tornado warned if it isn't already. nice velocity returns and now a hook is visible.

The latest Tornado Warning for Crawford and Jasper County in IL is especially interesting in that the NWS has added the following language:

"THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SITUATION. THIS TORNADO IS CAPABLE OF
PRODUCING INCREDIBLE DESTRUCTION." I'll have to look further but there must have been some sort of confirmed wedge or something similar on the ground...

Despite pulsing Shear scans, the Crawford County, IL Supercell is producing funnels and tornadoes. Numerous reports of both have been coming in over the past 20 minutes or so. Interesting storm...

Back