4/10/79:Red River Tornado Outbreak data wanted (AKA "Terrible Tuesday")

Jason A.C. Brock

I was wondering if anyone had any old radar data or any type of data at all regarding the day of 4/10/79 of the Red River tornado outbreak. I am interested in photos, damage paths, charts, radar, Satellite data or ANYTHING regarding this event.
I am aware of the data that the NWS has posted on their website by Don Burgess but I am looking for more. I plan to give a presentation on this event at Midwestern State University Late this Winter but I am focusing more on the Meteorolgy of the event and not so much as just what the that media type coverage or statistics these storms created. While I will focus more on the Wichita Falls storm I also want to give a general synopsis of the weather that came together that day to create all the storms in the area.
Does anyone know who I might contact at the NWS in Norman for instance on any archived data they might have on that day?
I wish I had more time for the presentation than what I am being given (20 minutes) but I am trying to get a general idea of what this event may have looked like for instance on potential weather maps radar and satellite if it had occured with todays enhancements in forecasting. What would the Day 1 outlook have looked like? What would the doppler od today have shown? Etc.... I the later requests may be hard if not impossible to know for sure since this did occur afterall in 1979 but I would like to know if anyone has seen anything written about this event that might add to or be even a little more detailed than what is already available online.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and I think would just be neat to see so that others can get idea jsut how amazing and rare this event was.
Thanks to anyone who has any ideas
Jason Brock

P.S. I know 20 minutes wont even scratch the surface of what I am wanting to do and just going over the basics of supercells, wall clouds and tornadoes & the types of weather setups that create them will take up most the time for this talk, but I want to get as much info as I can to make it seem I guess as "in real time...or to paint a picture" rather than jsut spitting out what everyone has already heard about ths event. Think of it as if you were doing a synopsis of the event yourself and had actually chased some of these storms and wanted to do a little presentation on youtube for instance...
This will be a problem trying to explain the meteorology of the event to many who know nothing about or very little about Meteorology and or severe weather scenarios while trying to also explain how a severe weather event occured on a particular day and why. A crash course in severe weather to explain Terrible Tuesday is the general idea.

Hi Jason,
Rick Smith is the WCM at OUN. You might start with him. SPC may have something too. Greg Carbin is the WCM there. Do you have access to the Daily Weather Maps? That will give you the surface and the 500mb charts for that day. Good luck with the presentation...sounds cool!

Another thought is that Fredrick, OK was the NWS office at the time, since closed, and I assume that all records would have been transfered to Southern Region or Norman. I would be interested in what you obtain and your presentation. I was there that day and it was a heck of a day! Good luck.

Greg Higgins

Back