4/10/08 NOW: TX/OK/KS/NE/IA/IL/WI/MI/OH/IN/KY/TN/MO/AR/LA/MS/AL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrin Rasberry

Remaining MCS from the ninth is currently taking advantage of the incredible conditions present in Missouri. Howell, Oregon, Shannon, and Texas counties in that state are tornado warned at 8:30 AM, with two separate tornadoes on the ground according to Springfield, MO doppler. The storms are expected to move quickly, moving northeast at 60-75 mph.

Additionally, Little Rock, Arkansas shows the squall line beginning to break, and extreme East Texas is receiving some severe warnings from the semi-isolated parts of this line.

Damaging winds are expected with the current MCS along its SE TX to Missouri extent. Additionally, clear skies according to recent satellite imagery over western Tennessee, as well as likely clearing skies from northern Louisiana through Arkansas as the MCS moves out, should clear the way for adequate convection, and, possibly, enough temperature to aid in breaking the expected strong CAP and form isolated, damaging surfaced-based supercells over the eastern Missouri/western Tennessee area as the day progresses into the early- and mid-afternoon.

EDIT: Shortly after this post, Shereveport, LA radar indicated that one of the aforementioned semi-isolated splinters from the broken squall line crossing into Arkansas from Texas is capable of producing a tornado. Cass and Miller counties are warned, and the storm also possesses a similar fast track of 45 miles an hour. Damaging straight-line winds are also present throughout many portions of this broken line, with some gusts exceeding 70mph in southern Missouri.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in West KY. Winds here are strong - gusting between 20-30 mph regularly, from the south/southeast. There are a lot of breaks in the clouds. Temperatures have been warming since the warm front passed a few hours ago. We are in the middle to upper sixties. Temperatures are approaching 70 degrees along the KY/TN border.

Strong squall line continues to progress through southeast Missouri. It has increased in intensity over the last hour or so.

New tornado watch has just been issued for the region. It will expire at 5 p.m.

Tough call on how this plays out. I am watching to see if we can get some discrete cells in front of the line in Arkansas. The whole line appears to be fading according to radar and satellite images.

Edit: KPAH is reporting winds over 40 mph. Grad winds. Sun is out here in West KY. We are now well into the seventies.

Tornado Warning for Lonoke, Pulaski, and Saline Counties in Central AR. Jason and Karen Politte are just north of Lonoke. One of the tornado warning message said a tornado was reported but it may have been incorrect.

Convection looks like it is going severe in Central and now moving into NE AR. SPC has pulled back MDT risk into a smaller area straddling the Mississippi river...To the north, it looks like alot of rain...Sun is now shining more and more here in louisville. Looks like I am sitting this one out. :(

The one cell that was warned has fizzled out north of I-40. I am sitting about 10 miles SE of Jonesboro, AR. waiting on the next set of cells heading along the same paths. Considerable winds from the SW.

Although MDT was pulled a bit, this was likely due to a reduction in the hatch size for tornadoes, coupled with projected hail/wind mdt severe parameters not matching up with the rest of the 10% region. Note that the risk has been increased from 10 to 15% inside the hatched area, though, which is appropriate considering the present clearing and subsequent instability realization, which increases the likelihood of busting up the EML.

That being said, the junk remaining in southern Illinois may be a death knell for the potential in that state, or at least a significant reduction in that potential. I like the clearing occurring in NC Missouri at the moment, however, and if the mess can get blown away enough there might be some heavier storm potential for my relative area than originally predicted. I would at least possibly add a hatched to Missouri's projected hail, and if the warm front can bring enough moisture to northern Missouri, possibly up the 25 mi. tornado risk from 5 to 10 percent.

I am currently keeping a lazy watch over the shattered remnants of last night's squall, which, for a moment, appeared to want to move apart and become the first discreet supercells of the day. They have work to do against the assumed cap, and either will become severe, die out trying, or stay carefully away and train over already-flooded Arkansas areas while retaining their moderately strong characteristics (and possibly later, reforming into another line).

The tornado warning for the southern Iowa storm was just extended. It looks like the tornado was about 5 miles WSW of Eddyville, Iowa at 5:40pm CDT. This storm is still moving rapidly off to the northeast at about 46mph!

edit: The tornado is now about 2-3 miles northwest of Oskaloosa, Iowa. I am not sure if anyone is reporting a tornado with it now though. The latest warning only mentions Doppler radar indication.

The storm that just moved into Hancock county, IL shows strong rotation, and a tornado has been reported. This storm is moving NE at 66mph!

Keep in mind that they said the Breckenridge tornado yesterday was "large and violent" too. I think it is pretty much automatic for the NWS to say that when a tornado is confirmed and conditions may be able to support a decent/strong tornado.

Keep in mind that they said the Breckenridge tornado yesterday was "large and violent" too. I think it is pretty much automatic for the NWS to say that when a tornado is confirmed and conditions may be able to support a decent/strong tornado.

I wouldn't go as far as to say its automatic, it's probably merely nothing more than someone such as a spotter, Police Officer, Fireman or even public witnessing their first tornado. Of course the tornado is going to look large and violent to them, they probably call the NWS all excited and tend to exaggerate or over excite the report. I would doubt the NWS would report a large and dangerous/violent tornado on the ground if it were not indeed reported to be the case. It was interesting to watch the Dry Slot work NE today and to watch storms fire on the E edge of the clear slot, I had planned to chase today, but pulled the plug after going as far as getting the equipment all setup and the door open, glad I did so as I would have ended up in IL chasing 60mph+ storms.

I was a little disappointed that I decided to head home earlier, until I looked at the storm speeds on the warnings. 66 mph on the W. IL storm, LOL. Even with the 40 mph motion on the Iowa storms, wouldn't want to be chasing those in that not-too-good SE IA terrain.

Wow, SPC nailed this one for Iowa and Missourri. If they hold together, they will be knocking on the door of campus pretty soon! But I can't chase, I got strep :( Gilbert Sebenste is in good position to intercept the storm near Macomb.

Wow, SPC nailed this one for Iowa and Missourri. If they hold together, they will be knocking on the door of campus pretty soon! But I can't chase, I got strep :( Gilbert Sebenste is in good position to intercept the storm near Macomb.

Thats exactly what he'll have to do is 'intercept' it because at these speeds he'll never catch it if it passes him..lol

Could be an interesting evening perhaps even this far north later but at this time coverage is quite limited hope it increases ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back