4/1/2006 REPORTS: TX/OK/KS

Just got back to Denver after 24 hours and 1500 miles chasing the cell that followed I-40 in OK. Chased with Tony Laubach, Jon Van De Grift, with Katie Burtis nowcasting. It was a fun chase, no tornadoes but a great sunset east of Elk City, OK! :)

20060401_5_sm.jpg

20060401_7_sm.jpg

20060401_10_sm.jpg

20060401_12_sm.jpg

1203 Miles Driven There and Back
Caught those 2 tornadic cells everyone else was on , ill make this short im very tired...

encountered dime to ping pong ball sized hail, wall cloud , scud i follwed the first cell until i gave up due to the precip surrounding me, i ended up making a big mistake those OK red clay roads or w.e dirt it is flooded like nothing i seriously thought i was going to be stuck, i ended up going in all directions to only find water covering the road, by luck some other chaser's i assume took me to a road, i followed behind and they got me to pavement thanks so much ... sorry i dont know who you 2 are but thanks i appreicate it, anyways after getting out of that mess i headed south where the 2nd tor warned storm was coming up from the west to northeast basically right behind the first cell i was on... it was pretty good with structre just as sun set, the orange glow and lit up structre was quite the sight... i followed that storm all the way east until it lined out, basically merging with other cells which later became a squall line as i was headed home... i was on alot of Hwy's and Roads , too many to list here's a few pics..

.EDITED 4-3-06( Pics and Account now up go to www.stormchaserdan.com and click the photo link to 2006
vid captures and digi pics are there... to bad i didnt get close to the storms..

Full log can be found here!

An epic chase for a few of us here in Colorado in terms of distance traveled in juts over 24 hours. At 5:30am, Verne Carlson, Jon Van de Grift, and myself embarked on a journey which took us across 4 states, 1500 miles, in a time span of 25 hours and 38 minutes. We left my apartment in Lakewood, Colorado at 5:30am and wondered into Kansas and south through Liberal where we raced south to get out from under a thick cirrus shield. Our target continued to move south as cirrus continued to threaten storm chances from the Oklahoma Panhandle northward. We eventually stopped in Pampa, TX where we met with Amos Magliocco, Eric Nguyen, and Robert Hall and chilled with them for a bit before heading south to I-40 and moving east to get on the cell of the day in this region of the country. We headed 20 miles into Oklahoma on I-40 before jumping south to get in front of the storm on Hwy US Hwy 283 south of Sayre, OK. We followed Hwy 283 south and east til we were a few miles north of Willow where we cut over to OK-34 on a county road which started as groomed gravel and ended up as a very soft sand where I scraped the bottom of my van in the ruts til we happily arrived at OK-34 and headed north to Carter with the storm in front of us. We jumped east again on OK-55 over to OK-6 where we stopped and watched the storm try to get its self together. It was here we made a crutial decision to drop south on OK-6 as opposed to going north to the OK-152 east option we wanted. We followed OK-55 east to Sentinel where we topped off on gas and fired north on OK-44 to OK-152 where we again stair-stepped the storm eastward to Cordell where tornado sirens blasted away as we went thru town. Prior to getting into town, we stopped to drool over the awesome sunset which was illuminating the storm to our west. The storm by this point began to take on a linear mode as darkness began to fall, so we headed north out of Cordell on US Hwy 183 back to I-40 where we blasted throught the line and beat it into Oklahoma City. We headed north out of town to meet with a few chasers at Arby's in Guthrie before cleaning the van and making the 9 hour trip back to Denver. We pulled back into my apartment at 7:08am at 1500.2 miles.

This definately ranks as one of my favorite chases in terms of fun as I enjoyed good times with good friends. We accomplished something none of us had ever done before in terms of miles driven in such a short amount of time. This ranks as #6 in terms of longest distance traveled in a single chase and #1 for distance vs. time. We had a great time and enjoyed a good storm on a trip where we had some good laughs. The van definately earned its stripes yesterday as it got the three of us out and around safely and comfortably. We may have discovered something with this three to my van thing; cheaper and rotating drivers while the other two slept was a huge help in getting us back this morning.

Full log can be found here!

060401i.jpg

060401q.jpg

Was anyone in Tulsa when the line moved through? KTUL & the NWS are reporting a tornado touched down by Tulsa Internation Airport.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TULSA OK
537 PM CDT SUN APR 2 2006

AT 1114 PM CST LAST NIGHT /APRIL 1ST/ A BRIEF TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN
IN TULSA...IMMEDIATELY SOUTHWEST OF THE TULSA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.[/b]

We were right behind the line as it moved through Tulsa and just heard some wind reports. I didn't even hear anything reported over about 50mph (not sure why 40mph wind was being reported, but you know spotters and their radios). I don't think I measured anything about 30mph when the line passed me. I didn't have any damage from winds around my house at all it seemed (I live about 10 miles from TIA).

I left Wichita at 10AM with Ryan Shirk(caravaning) for an original target of the OK/TX border in central Oklahoma. I was particularly interested in the subtle increase in moisture that had made it North to the I44 or I40 corridor(whatever highway that is that goes from OKC to Amarillo) by early afternoon. Shortly after we got on the storm it was showing good signs of becoming organized and I thought for sure the storm would go tornadic within an hour. The one thing that didn't look good when we initially got on the storm was a rain core wrapping in and around the updraft. I had also talked to Ryan about the temperature-dewp0int depressions. I figured this problem would go away towards evening, so at the time it wasn't a major concern. Long story short, I was extremely surprised and disappointed that we didn't get any tornadoes. The storm would cycle through and I would think this is the one and then it would start all over again. Ryan and his buddy he brought along kept relaying tornado warnings and reports to me that they were getting from their dad back in Kansas. I later discovered that there was only one confirmed tornado in Kansas, but at the time, I was shocked that they were getting tornadoes in Kansas and we were getting nothing in west central Oklahoma. Until I found out that there weren't tornadoes in Kansas, I was pretty devestated. I thought I had completely lost any skill or talent I once had had at forecasting. Not to mention the fact that I dragged Ryan on a 600 mile bust when we could have gotten tornadoes within two hours of home. I feel a little better now that I know the forecast flopped everywhere(at least for tornadoes), but Saturday was still a lesson in humility for me. After busting on Thursday, my confidence is getting pretty low. I'm not looking for any relief with this closed low setup on Thursday either. I have a terrible habit of botching the forecast on closed lows, but hopefully I will redeem myself some time soon.
BTW I would put pictures up, but others have already posted the same stuff I got.

EDIT: I just updated my website with a few pictures from April 1st and 6th. No big deal - no giant
tornadoes but a shot of hail and a couple of somewhat interesting storm shots.

Hopefully this crazy year will pull a bit back into the southern plains and give me a shot of
chasing in Tx or outside of the hills and trees.

http://www.tornadoxtreme.com/2006_Chases/A.../april_1-6.html

IMG_1174_filtered.jpg

Original Post Follows:
Headed out with Gene Moore early Saturday with initial target Childress to set up and monitor initiation. We made good time. There in Childress we hooked up with Bill Combes and David Douglas and stopped and grabbed some food. I had the pleasure of finally meeting Tim Marshall, and his friend Sean. I was expecting initiation near 21z and somewhere around that time convection started to our southwest on cue. At this point I'd like to say that pretty much all model products (least that I had looked at) had indicated favorable potential for not only supercells but also tornadoes during the day along the dryline. To keep it short, lets just say that all ingredients appeared to be there on the model products as well as in much of the live data. Note before leaving Childress we had many readings of -13 to -10 lifted indices south of our area per Goes quantitative satellite. We left Childress with Bill and David in tow after providing them with a radio for communications with us. Anyway we shot southwest and intercepted the first building cell on southwest side near Tell. As we approached the lowered base / wallcloud and town we passed some chasers along the way including Jeff Piotrowsky on the side of the road. The setup looked ideal, and we were expecting quick intensification and a tornado to form soon.

Basically that never happened. The cell just started raining and outflowing on the southern end with a bit of lightning in the precip as well were underneath it. We managed to work our way a bit further to the southwest of Tell Here my inverter started going on the blink, but with a little effort managed to get it back on line. However I made a note to replace it and get a better one - which I did yesterday.

We followed this HP blob to the east as it worked it's way up toward Childress and Paducah. From Paducah I believe we went north where there was an intense precipitation core in progress that was very dark and appeared to have some decent wind in it as well. I thought perhaps it was some type of microburst. We waited for that to pass and drove on up into it as it was trailing away where we found some good hail all over the place. Largest stones that we measured were 3" and we took some photos of us holding them. Another cell was coming up to merge from the southwest and it appeared some area to our east had some potential as Threatnet was also showing shear increasing in that area. We thought the merger might be favorable so we cut back south and from Paducah took a road to the northeast that went through Swearingen and on to Quanah. In this area we just drove on into the cores and precipitation was all around with light hail and flooding along the roads, fields, and especially ditches on sides of road. At one point it appeared that Threatnet was all messed up didn't match reality, but it was confusing. We decided to ignore Threatnet and go on what our eyes were telling us as Threatnet also showing rotation directly ahead toward Quanah as it was getting dark. Basically nada. Cut on over to Vernon and stopped at Brahms to eat, and then the long drive home as 1 tornado warning was finally occurring in KS.

So, April Fools I suppose - we got suckered. Not really a bust cause we got the fun of the chase, tested the equipment, met some good people, had good food, and even got 3" hail, but still no tornado - which of course is my main end goal when I go out. I enjoyed it but would have enjoyed it better with some big tubes, and let me just say that I though Saturday appeared to have the potential that apparently Sunday ended up having. Even SPC got suckered, so we were in good company. It was amazing to see all the parameters and indices just somehow miss it.

I think a good post analysis of why there was no tornadic on Saturday is in order. We did note that west of Vernon looking up at the towers they didn't appear to be sheared, and they also didn't appear to be rock hard. Perhaps it was lack of cyclonic curvature on the short wave, perhaps earlier storms had stabilized the area a bit? Perhaps the wave was really late (don't think so). I believe that somehow the storms weren't able to utilize a boundary to increase their effective SRH and go tornadic. That's all I can figure. Other thoughts are welcome.

I took the NW Oklahoma choice today and after filling up the tank and my belly in Woodward, I headed on to the panhandle area. I got to the Elmwood area as a svr warned storm was moving NE from Perryton,Tx.. I headed north to hwy 64 so I could head back east and catch back up to the cell. By then it was already about to cross into Kansas. As I continued east another cell was svr warned for Woodward County, I thought about diving south but with it moving 45 mph I decided to continue east and hopefully intercept as it reached hwy 64. By then another cell had already developed to it's SW. Both produced a funnel as they got in the hwy 64 area but that was it. I believe these are the two cells that merged as they headed into Kansas, I'm not positive since I don't have radar on board yet but they where sorta bumping each other already. Anyway I started to follow them up into Kansas but decided I really didn't want to head up there as it was already pretty dark and wanted to follow storms back home to Tulsa. I headed back down to 64 again and headed towards the Freedom area for another svr storm coming up from Sharon? at 55mph I think it was reported(what happened to the expected 25 mph movements geeezz) anyway it was non-eventfull too.After that it was catch up to the storm lines and follow it home which they beat me home by 30 minutes and also pruduced a short lived F1 tornado a mile from my house in Tulsa... hmmm somethings wrong when the only Oklahoma tornado for the day happens a mile from home and you just drove 600 miles looking for one. I'm not complaining because I always enjoy the scenery and any storm with or without a tornado...

0401061954.jpg

0401061956.jpg

You can't beat some of the chase sunsets
0401061952.jpg

Back