3/28/2010 REPORTS: NC/SC/FL

This is not an impressive report, sorry to say.
No tornadoes to share here, though the storm in the first pic may have produced one--see SPC report mentioned in discussion thread. Shane Young
helped with some Nowcasting on phone. The first pic is on 192 right near 95 in Melbourne area. Shortly after it blasted rain and the wind blew pretty hard. Some moderate branches down--but I'm not thinking that was more than 40 mph or so, though storm was warned for 70+. That heaviest downpour and wind was near when I exited to the North at Eau Gallie Blvd. and crossed John Rhodes Blvd (heading out to the causeway to cross the intercoastal waters). John Rhodes Blvd. is where alleged tornado is being investigated, but that should have been later on. Chose to reposition East then North after talking with Shane Young. Wanted to get away from the blinding rain for one thing.

The second pic is a screen capture of GR3 about a half hour or so before I arrived. The third pic is a screen capture of part of a video I made of a second storm that had some rotation near Cocoa Beach. I saw some rotating scud, found a spot to pull over and it at least looks like there's a possible wall cloud there. At the time I was thinking I saw a potential funnel starting to hang, but now I rather doubt it since I didn't see rotation with that particular feature--just some nearby scud rising into the possible wall cloud. I think I missed viewing both storms at their healthiest and from optimum angles, though with all the dang rain hard to see much regardless (but maybe someone else will come in with something sharper later).
*(Missed the date earlier, tried to put it in: 3/28/10)

Attachments

• shrunkedgeoftorwarnedbow.jpg
    shrunkedgeoftorwarnedbow.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 39
  • radarbeforedriving.jpg
    radarbeforedriving.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 49
  • shrunklikelywallcloudpossiblefunnel.jpg
    shrunklikelywallcloudpossiblefunnel.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
And here's brief video of the storm that got recorded as producing a tornado minutes later--I wonder if that pink flash around six seconds was a power flash and not lightning, hmm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmyvbss_rE

Except I don't think there were any recorded transformers blown, so must just be something with the light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back