3/21/05 REPORTS: OK/TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skip,

I believe there were three cells that tried to form east of DFW. From my knowledge, the Paris storm was the northernmost out of the three, but it was definitely in what seemed to be your target area!

3/21/05 - Paris, TX Tornado

ddb485a8b54c322d37c1df9efe76354b.jpg

Jason Politte, Marcie Martin, and I intercepted a relatively low-topped supercell on Hwy. 19 about 5 miles south of Paris, TX and observed the storm shed one mesocyclone to our southwest while a new area of rotation formed to our east and rapidly organized, producing a tornado in short order. The tornado transitioned from a slender stovepipe to a thick elephant trunk with a translucent tube before kicking up a large cloud of debris. The tornado lifted briefly before condensing fully to ground again and displaying its inner core surrounded by an outer sheath before dissipating. The mesocyclone occluded over Paris, TX containing intense rotation aloft.

More photos will soon be posted on my website.

Scott Blair
http://www.targetarea.net/

Anyone find it somewhat ironic that Harper County, KS had a report on the first real chase day of this season (after last year)? Anyway, for those of you who have posted photos, I really enjoy all of them! Keep them coming :).

I was on the Paris storm as well. I think everyone was about in the same place for viewing this tornado as this photo resembles Scott's a lot. Just got home from being on the road for almost a day straight and I am pretty exausted. More later.

Darin

c78ea84b3c6f71e83811056a0ff0d625.jpg

What a chase to begin the year. Bill saved my butt today it looks with him redirecting me to EC Oklahoma. I was just past Ardmore when he told me to hold up a few because NE TX was't looking as hot as earlier. I got another call directing me north to the OKC area as a Torn Watch would be issued and there was convection going up there. As we neared the convection I saw three nice looking cells, all low topped supercells it looked, so I went with obivious rule no. 1 and took the southern storm.

Going down Highway 9 after a gas stop we saw what looked to be a fairly persistent funnel about halfway to the ground about 10 mins before this thing went tornado warned. Then, in classic E. Oklahoma fashion, we saw a needle funnel off the new mesocyclone that might have been producing at the time but as we rounded the mountain which took about 3 mins another (or the same) tornado was ongoing SW of Cromwell. So then we had to round ANOTHER mountain but this was after the rotation slowed a bit, and once we got around that, we saw the Wall Cloud produce intermittent touchdowns all the way through Cromwell. Got some really nice video of these, especially of one that looked to be in town as we were about 1/2 mile from it when it touched for a few brief seconds.

I think we jetted eastthen, watching the Meso to our north. We were back on the bugger at Okemah, just north when it produced another tornado after gearing back up for about ~1 min. We then took the chase north on 59 when we spotted a white cone in the muck which looked to be multi-vortex before it got wrapped in rain. Thanks to the GPS, we stayed within a mile of the rainshaft through this whole period on the county roads and we would see a tornado within the rain, either stovepipe or cone, intermittently for about ~20 mins or so, up until Lake Okmulgee when things got hairy for us and I had to concentrate on driving (flooded roads). We fell behind for good here and we met up with Bill Hamiton around Lake Okmulgee and decided to try for a newer southern storm in the town of Okmulgee, but we could never get a good view of the meso of it and AOA 6:20, we decided to head home because it was going to be getting dark and I was contempt with what we had gotten for the day.

Overall a GREAT chase to start the year. I'm working on a new website to post my pics on, so it may be a few days, but I'll get some pics up soon!

A note: I had planned to be in Paris, TX today, but after Bill told me of the situation, I figured my chances were better in Oklahoma. Better lucky than good sometimes in my case :)

We f'ed this day up good. Started in Norman, ignored the convection developing northeast of there to head for NC OK. Stopped in Guthrie to check radar, decided to go for the initial stuff we'd seen, now in SW Lincoln county. About halfway there, we couldn't see anything for low clouds and, hearing the continous radar reports that the storms "weren't anything significant," decide to go back to Guthrie to play closer to the LOW. Major F'UP #1.

Raced south to I-35 to intercept the Seminole storm, and missed the exit to I-40. Major F'UP #2. No sweat, we'll just run down a mile, hit the cross under, and get back east....except we missed the exit back east and instead went south towards Dallas. major F'UP #3.

At this point I could only stare out the window. WE finally almost caught up to the storm near Okemah, but then we were almost out of gas. (someone trying to tell us something??) Gassed up, got on with the chase. Finallly worked our way into a real storm with intense rotation near the small community of Onapa,

Feels like every April of my career.

Don't beat yourself up too much. I sure don't consider yesterday as a "killing" - LMAO! We had plenty of opportunity to mess up just like you did yesterday which I'll talk about in my full account online. Fact is - there were three distinct target areas and every one did it, if you are being literal. Hell - we left the house without a weather radio!

Ending up on the west or northwest side of the Okemah storm - like you and I did - was the worst place to be - but it seems that almost everyone WAS. It was a b*$tard to punch with HARD dime-quarter sized hail making you feel like you were being gunned down in a tin can, an intense hail swath to circumvent, and minor flooding to boot. It was not a dry storm. People observed the Paris, TX tornado yesterday from the WEST, I believe. Ha! Try doing that with our storm!

Anyways - don't judge your chase season on something in March. Or April. We still have many months of the big-players to come - and that's what I'm focused on. Yesterday was a nice warm-up and I feel lucky to have seen anything - but it was just that. A warm-up.

And we barfed when we got home and saw Jeff P.'s footage on TWC. Just disgusting (considering my initial morning target was Lookout, OK).

KR

Re: 3/21/05 NE TEXAS CHASE

I headed out of Wichita Falls Texas about 11am heading towards my initial target area from the previous day of Sherman Texas. I was tempted to head towards Central Oklahoma and hang out in OKC (which I should have done) but I wanted to show a little discipline and keep to my original target. It didnt look too bad either but the slower than anticipated movement of the dryline would actually be my undoing. I was a little glad the dryline had slowed actually because I was afraid any storms that formed would race NE at up to 40.
I heard over the scanner that A tornado watch had been issued until 7pm but was a bit perplexed that the entire watch was North of the Red River. I figured things would just be expected to fire a little later (perhaps mid-afteroon) and stopped in Sherman my target area and was able to obtain some net access and also using my XM WX WORX was able to see a small storm develope just E of DFW. I was about to head toward Denison and then into Okie land but this new storm was much closer than anything else so I figured the show was about to begin.
I caught this small cell just South of Whitewright and took alot of timelapse of the cell build then die and build then die and also watched as marble size hail pelted me for about 5 minutes then turn to more slush than hail. Just as the cell was to my East about a mile It seemed to gain alot of strength with an overshooting top and somewhat corkscrewing updraft but yet again soon weakened. I also watched as a few new cells developed to my SW towards Rockwall. I decided this little cell wasnt ging to do anything so I headed towards Greenville as the cell near Rockwall was getting stronger and headed that way. Each cell exchanged intensity and the Greenville cell even began to form a bit of a wallcloud but soon once again weakened. The time lapse of these storms was incredible and I was in awe at the motion of the clouds.
knowing i had to be back to Wichita Falls for some sleep for class at 7am I headed back home about 6pm. To a little of my disapointment I later learned the original cell I had been on eventually did form a tornado Just South of Paris Texas at about 6:49pm or so. I probably should have stayed on the cell till total darkness but oh well. Better luck next time. It was jsut good to get back to chasing once againand be able to get away for a day just going where the storms lead me.
Ill try to have some pics up at http://www.texhomastormchasers.com in a couple weeks as the whole website needs a major makeover.
Congrats to those who saw the naders today and glad to ehar everyone stayed safe.
Hopefully another chase day is not too far on the Horizon?
thanks to Jeff Papak & Kenneth McCallister for nowcasting even tho my cell phone crapped out and I need to get a new one.
Total chase miles 457.7

I feel your pain Jason. We were on the Greenville storm for some time. Not sure if this was the one that eventually tornadoed, but the pulsing intensity of these storms was not very re-assuring. Just about when we were ready to give up, it would start to wind up again. The 3 cells in the general area all seemed to be doing this as far as I could tell by radar. Anyhow, we eventually cut off the chase just SW of Paris. :roll: :evil: As mentioned, the cloud motion was incredible, and the inflow bands at times was very impressive. Facinating watch the atmosphere operate!

The tornado watch issued in OK earlier on did not boost my confidence either about Texas. Still not sure why these storms pulsed the way they did, and never really got going. It was a frustrating day to figure out weather wise, but it was nice to at least be out looking some storms for a change. From a chaser perspective, it was somewhat dissapointing, but from a pure weather inthusiest perspective, just seeing mother nature do here thing was great, even if she didn't perform the way I wanted her to. 8)

Congrats to everyone in OK that saw some action, and happy to hear everyone got home safe and sound.

Dan Dawson and I lingered in Norman too long, waffling on whether to chase north or east until the tornado warnings went out for Seminole Co. around 3 p.m. We blasted east on I-40 and saw the rotating base passing over Okmulgee. Unfortunately, we happened to witness a car accident on Hwy. 62 east of of Okmulgee around 5 p.m. and had to stop to check for injuries and to give our statements to the police. (Some of you might have seen us standing by the bridge over Caseetah Creek. While we were waiting, Eric Holthaus and Nick Wilson saw us and pulled over to show off their pictures of the second tornado in Okfuskee Co., and then drove off.) Since it was a non-injury accident in inclement weather, the cops took their sweet time getting to us, and an hour and a half had elapsed before we got back on the road. The storm had essentially outrun us by then. We quickly lost daylight and turned around at about 6:45 p.m.

Oh well, my appetite is whetted. What a way to start spring!

I may have been one of the only chasers in south Texas.

A supercell fired about 30 miles north of I-10 off of I-35 around 3pm. But it was moving at about 15mph!

Once 4:45pm creeped up to me, the supercell was looking really impressive and moving due east. So I left work and hauled it north on highway 6 (Houston), and then wnw on 290. (I-10 is a parking lot at rush hour, otherwise would have taken it).

I didn't catch up to the storm until after 6 because it turned right and to the southeast. But whatever, I still caught up to it and had about 45 minutes of daylight. It had a nice rainfree base, but seemed to be struggling with the cap. Wall clouds developed pretty quickly and would quickly dissipate (non-rotating). But the supercell had decent structure and nice midlevel inflow band.

Got some great picks (hopefully) of a wall cloud with a nice tail at twilight. This storm was also low topped and seriously barely moving!

Had this storm not turned southeast the tornado potential would have been there.

Great chase!

- Congrats to all for your great pics and accounts. Keep them coming!

My report is similar to Aaron's... two tornadoes south of Paris... Pics and logs can be seen at http://www.tornadocentral.com/chasing/2005...05/032105.shtml

EDIT: I forgot to mention something... Despite what people warned, the chase territory between I35 and Paris TX is EXCELLENT! The land is as flat and relatively tree-less as many places in western Oklahoma! Things only got pretty bad when we moved east of Paris, at which time trees became much more dense and the land was more hilly. Otherwise, this area was excellent to chase in!

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tornadocentral.com/chasing/2005/032105/img_0316web2.jpg

What a nice way to start spring! It's also nice for me when storms occur on Monday because I can get home as late as 8:00 without my wife getting too irritated at me.

I began in the morning by running my brother from Stillwater to Ada after a fun weekend watching NCAA basketball in OKC. In Ada, I noticed the rapidly advancing dryline in the south was going to force me to choose between going back toward N OK or futher south to TX. I chose to head toward Stillwater and see what might happen later. Between Asher and Shawnee, I noticed a lot of development just to my east, and at a gas stop at I-40 heard the tornado warning for the Seminole/Cromwell storm. Good news: tornadic storm close by. Bad news: lousy position relative to storm. More bad news: haven't configured my cell phone/laptop connection yet, and OKC TV reception fades E of Shawnee.

I wasn't really comfortable going too far E on I-40, as interstates provide limited on/off choices -- so I used 99A, which runs parallel to I-40 about 2 miles south. Approaching Cromwell, I had a dilemma. TV radar showed a classic hook echo, but I was beginning to lose reception. If I drove forward, would I run into large hail wrapped around the back side of the meso, or worse yet, the tornado itself? So I called my cousin, who "nowcasted" for me.

Eventually I ended up getting a decent view of the rain-free base just E of Okemah on I-40 (where it looked very "scuddy") and again just S of Okmulgee on US 75. Unfortunately, by the time I got in position, the storm had weakened and I saw no tornadoes. Oh well, that's how it goes pretty often, as we all know. I am ready to try again at the next available opportunity!

Martin Lisius' account and photos from the Paris storm yesterday:

http://www.prairiepictures.com/chaseday_ma...005_lisius.html

In addition to that nice, backlit tornado, he has some great shots of the cumulus and parent structure. In several of the shots I've seen from different folks yesterday, it looks like there were some Pileus formations that had formed above the rising CU, which then broke through ... as in this shot:

http://www.prairiepictures.com/ChaseDayMar...omPecanGap3.jpg

(edited to adjust the word 'lenticular' to 'Pileus' ... thanks Jeff S.!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back