211-Degree Difference: Vostok Antartica/ Basrah, Iraq

Courtesy of Weather Underground:

Vostok: -102 degrees at 6 p.m.
Basrah: 109 degrees at 6:50 p.m.

That's a 211-degree difference.

It always fascinates me to know about humans living under such temperature extremes on the same planet.

Who here has experienced both these kinds of extremes?

Growing up in West Texas, I sometimes experienced temps up around 110F. It's actually a very easy sensation to describe... that of just opening up an oven (especially one that's an under-stove model) when the rush of very hot air hits you... quickly irritating your eyes.

Personally, I'd rather have 105 with no humidity than 85-90 with near saturation. Call me crazy.

I have absolutely no experience with extreme cold or even anything less than, say, ten above.

mp

Growing up in West Texas, I sometimes experienced temps up around 110F. It's actually a very easy sensation to describe... that of just opening up an oven (especially one that's an under-stove model) when the rush of very hot air hits you... quickly irritating your eyes.

Personally, I'd rather have 105 with no humidity than 85-90 with near saturation. Call me crazy.

I have absolutely no experience with extreme cold or even anything less than, say, ten above.

mp

Yes-I'll take dry heat any day over hot and humid.

Vostok is now at the negative century mark as of this writing. I wonder if the 300 Degree Club had any fun. :eek: :shock: :p

I'm afraid I don't know too much about the extremes...New Mexico is rather mild. The hottest it gets is maybe 105, but as it was mentioned before, it's a very dry heat. 15%ish humidity. And the winters are pretty warm, not dropping below 20 degrees. I'd be interested in hearing some accounts of people who have incredible differentiation in temperature between winter and summer.

I was in Michigan during the drought of 1988 (although I was only three at the time). We get temperatures that rival that event every now and again (mid to upper 90s, maybe a 100 or two). The coldest its gotten was 1996, when it reached -20 F with a wind chill of -60 F. Interesting stuff, but no where near close to other parts of the country.

Minnesota, hottest I've been in I think was 102 degrees with some humidity, to around -40 below a couple of times.

Back