• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

2023-07-12 REPORTS: IL

After the day dawned with only a marginal risk of severe weather north of I-80 in Illinois (on the 06Z and 13Z SPC outlooks, the maximum tornado risk was 2% within 25 miles of a point, and the area where these tornadoes occurred wasn't even included in that), conditions rapidly changed for a significant tornado threat from I-39 to the Chicago metro, so after glancing over the data I headed out for an impromptu after-work chase.

I set up at Davis Junction, along I-39 between Rockford and Rochelle, in the mid-afternoon. A cell fired just to the west near Byron and I began following it east along State Highway 72, soon cutting south to Highway 64 but it didn't seem in any hurry to do much of anything. There was some thought that a relatively short window for destabilization following an earlier round of rain and storms would end up limiting the tornado potential after all, but something told me to stick with the storm. Perhaps it was the fact that as I crossed the state line on my drive down, I had seen very low clouds moving very rapidly in different directions...a visual manifestation of strong low-level shear. Nearly every chase day I've had when there have been tornadoes in the area (whether I saw anything of them or not), I've observed this phenomenon.

Shortly after I passed Lily Lake, a dramatic uptick in lightning detection on RadarScope occurred with the storm, followed by a blast of inflow rocking my car. I intended to turn north at Wasco toward Campton Hills; as I did so a tight velocity couplet abruptly appeared and a WEA for a tornado warning blared over my phone. As the video begins I emerge from the rain and trees at the intersection of Corron Rd. and Silver Glen Rd. to see, to my amazement, not one but two brilliantly-sunlit white tornadoes churning to my north-northeast. I turned east on Silver Glen Rd. to follow their eastward motion, which was probably a mistake (should have continued up Corron to the next east-west road). As the video ends you can see the death knell of my chase...trees! After this point, Silver Glen was completely lined with trees as it entered South Elgin and T'd out at State Highway 31 and the Fox River, and I didn't get another view of the tornado(es) after this.

Images are video frame grabs, first from my dash-mounted GoPro and the other two from my 4K camcorder.

071223TornadoGoProGrab_01.jpg

MVI_1516.MP4.03_39_56_01.Still001.jpg

MVI_1517.MP4.03_40_08_18.Still001.jpg

Part of my problem was I didn't interpret the rather non-standard storm structure correctly...I kept trying to hug the southern flank, where it appeared a hook would occasionally try to form, while velocity showed a broad couplet further north, where I assumed it would be buried in rain according to reflectivity. It wasn't apparent to me that this was the real deal until the couplet abruptly intensified just before producing. I also kept expecting the storm to turn hard right, moving SE along the warm front, but the tornadoes just kept moving almost due east.

At present, the larger (left, northern) tornado has been rated EF1, and the closer but smaller right/southern tornado EF0 per preliminary survey from NWS LOT.

Adding another frame grab from about 30 seconds after the last one, at Silver Glen Rd. & Denker Rd. The closer/southern twin had appeared to lift (at least in terms of the condensation funnel) but those cloud tendrils were still spinning wildly. Meanwhile it's probably my best glimpse of the Plato Center-Elgin EF1 toward the left.

Two concurrent cyclonic tornadoes from distinct mesocyclones in such close proximity, one of those things that seems to defy the laws of physics (except, Pilger happened). That's the amount of low-level shear that was present over the Chicago metro on Wednesday.

071223ElginTornado_4K.00_00_53_09.Still002.jpg

I was glad to read your write-up Andy, referring to the "non-standard" storm structure. This near-chase environment messed me up. I observed one area of updraft pass across Peplow Rd. north of IL64, with an associated clear slot. This was followed by intense rain - not unexpected - and then some strong west winds. These did not strike me as rear-flank downdraft. I assumed - wrongly - that any circulation would be rain-wrapped, so I headed south rather than east.

It seemed to me these tornadoes were located behind all the the convection - I couldn't figure out where the inflow was coming from. I wonder if these strong west winds cleared-out the low level precip, opening up the sky to give the very bright front-lighting. I looked behind me as I headed south, and saw what I've come to learn was the larger of the two tornadoes. It seemed to be in such a weird position that I didn't understand what I was seeing. I know that the following edge of strong convection can show "odd" cloud structures.

I peeked at the HRRR before going to bed the night before and decidedly kept my hopes down, assuming early day convection would mitigate overall potential. By noon on the 12th though, visible satellite was looking good with clearing over the Mississippi River working eastward, low level shear looked impressive, SPC had upped the tornado risk, and I was rearranging my day for a local chase. Also a 3km CAPE bullseye of 100+ J/kg was forecast to drift across northern IL, coincident with storms through the afternoon.

I started east of Byron and encountered the same confusion and frustration as others on this thread regarding storm structure. Lots of flipping back and forth between reflectivity and velocity, noting rotation farther north and west of where I would expect. I stayed close on the southern edge of the storm cluster, sometimes catching some rain, waiting for the northern rotation to falter and something better to develop closer to me. Finally after a pretty uneventful afternoon, I cautiously prodded north ahead of what I decided to interpret as a bowing RFD gust front:
Screenshot_20230720-005249.png
A few minutes later I was already seeing some clearing ahead, and a lowering to my northwest. Then a very tight velocity couplet at the northern end of those bowed out inbounds.
Screenshot_20230720-005339.png
Sun began to shine and I watched the Elgin tornado cross to my north within a mile. I stopped at Bowes/Corron Rd intersection and viewed the tornado from the west with an accompanying rainbow. Holy cow what a sight! Then along came the second tornado south of the first one. At this point it became apparent I had likely driven across its path without more than a minute or two to spare. Yikes... My view to the west had been largely obscured by some wooded areas, and radar only showed very weak rotation there. I had been more aggressive than normal due to the weak nature of these storms. I'll take it as a reminder not to underestimate tornado potential just because storms are small, sub-severe, low-topped. If the environment is primed in the low levels like it was, then stay vigilant. Looking back, some of my favorite tornadoes have occurred with non/marginally severe storms that weren't all that impressive, tornadoes aside. Here's a couple screen grabs from video looking ENE: Snapshot_2.JPGSnapshot_3.JPG

Back