• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

2023-05-12 REPORTS: NE/KS

I am starting a thread for reports this day as some people have some incredible photos. Mine are on this but are only quick cell phone edits so I cannot wait for later reports with better ones.

After chasing Colorado and western Kansas the two days prior we left Ellis Kansas for my initial target of Ansley. We were on the first warned storms and did probably like most and stayed around the newly developing cells. We saw multiple tornadoes around the area of Spalding and Ericson. The one below was the largest we saw as the others were brief. Did anyone closer note if it had a horizontal vortices or not? My photos seem to possibly show one but I was too far away to see for sure.

Overall a great week of chasing but lets see the better photos now!

Screenshot_20230512_190431_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230512_190503_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230512_192536_Gallery.jpg

Good day all, this is my reports for May 12, 2023 in NE...

Summary: May 12 was a long-range, complex, and difficult chase day targeting central to northeastern Nebraska, with tornadoes observed there. I left very early via I-35 north out of Edmund, Oklahoma, and past Wichita, Kansas. I continued north on I-135 to Highway 81 north of Salina, reaching the Nebraska / Kansas border by early afternoon. I passed through York, and headed east on I-80 to west of Lincoln, to look at data and do a thorough analysis. The SPC had an enhanced-risk across NE Nebraska, with tornado probabilities as high as 10%, 15% wind, and 30% hail (hail was hatched for significant). Mesoscale discussion 772 was issued, as well as tornado watch 215, valid until 9 PM CDT. I continued back north and west, via Highway 34 to SR 15 north to near Rising City, then west on SR 92 to SR 39 north towards Genoa. Storms initiated in this area, with an unusual, large tornado near Spalding (not reachable at the time) on the far northwestern portion of the line of supercells. Like many other chasers and tour groups, I stuck with the storms from Platte to Colfax and Dodge Counties via county roads and eventually SR 91 east. A powerful and tornadic HP storm was observed near Humphrey and Highway 81, and a significant tornado on another dangerous HP storm in Dodge County near Scribner east of Highway 275 and east to Highway 77. A wedge tornado was observed at close range in this area. The chase continued north on Highway 77 to near Oakland, then east to CR 21 north to SR 51. I wrapped up chasing after the violent HP storm weakened, and headed to I-29 north - Passing from Nebraska into Iowa, and eventually the extreme SE tip of South Dakota. I spent the night in North Sioux City, South Dakota for the night.

Full online chase log for 2023 (including this one) can be found here: www.sky-chaser.com/mwcl2023.htm

Details (on May 12)...

1). May 12, 5:30 PM
- Observation and penetration of an extremely severe and tornadic thunderstorm in Platte County, Nebraska near Highway 81 and SR 91. The storm was an HP supercell, and was part of an arcing cluster of supercells stretching from near Genoa and eastward to near Humphrey. The storm produced a weak but wide tornado near Humphrey at around 5:15 PM CDT. The storm was HP and visibility was poor. Conditions encountered in the core of the storm were 1" hail, 60 to 70 MPH winds, torrential rains, and frequent lightning. Little or no damage was observed. Conditions causing the storms were surface heating, a dryline / occluded frontal system, low pressure area, and a powerful upper-level low (cold-core). Documentation was digital stills and HD video. A 2022 Jeep Renegade was used to chase the storm. A tornado watch was valid for the area until 9 PM CDT.

2). May 12, 6:00 PM - Observation and penetration of an extremely severe and potentially violent tornadic thunderstorm in Dodge County, Nebraska near Highways 275 and 77. The storm was an HP supercell, and was ahead of an arcing cluster of supercells stretching across northeastern Nebraska. The storm produced a potentially violent wedge tornado from east of Scribner and north to Uehling and Oakland near Humphrey at around 6 PM CDT. This wedge tornado quickly became rain-wrapped during a fairly close-range encounter looking south and then west, especially along County Road F. Major damage occurred west of Oakland and Uehling from this tornado, with 2 injuries. Other conditions encountered were heavy rains, 1" hail, near 70 MPH winds, and frequent lightning. Conditions causing the storms were surface heating, a dryline / occluded frontal system, low pressure area, and a powerful upper-level low (cold-core). Documentation was digital stills and HD video. A 2022 Jeep Renegade was used to chase the storm. A tornado watch was valid for the area until 9 PM CDT.

m24wtorp.jpg

Above: View looking west from Highway 77 towards Scribner, Nebraska in Dodge County at just after 6 PM CDT on May 12. Picture is enhanced as the storm is a violent HP supercell, and a wedge tornado is clearly seen in this picture.

m24rad9.jpg

Above: This is a radar image (base reflectivity) of a violent (and tornadic) supercell in Dodge County, Nebraska at roughtly 5:30 PM CDT. The incredible signature of a significant tornado is unmistakable. The impressive velocity is in the upper-left inset as well.

m24sat9.jpg

Above: This an annotated visible satellite image at roughly 22z (late afternoon) on May 12, 2023. An upper level low churnes to the upper-left in the image, with an occluded front / dryline extending east and southeast from there. The target area is to the east of the upper low (powerful cold-core setup).

m24core2.jpg

Above: Hasty punch through an tornadic HP supercell core headed eastbound in Platte County near Humphrey, Nebraska at roughly 5:15 PM CDT. Winds here are over 70 MPH, with a possible tornado forming just to the right.

m24tor15.jpg

Above: View looking south just after entering the "bears cage" of a violent supercell just east of Scribner, Nebraska while rushing east to get in front of the tornado. I am experiencing 50+ knots inflow winds from the east and northeast at the time, and a wide, dusty, multivortex tornado is clearly visible.

Back