2016-02-23 EVENT: LA/MS/AL

I don't know how interesting this post will be to most of you, but read on if you want to.

My Mom and Dad and Aunt Sheila are "snowbirds" at the Phoenix X condo 13-story high-rise building on the beach at the AL/FL state line, next door to the famous "Florabama" nightclub. There have been many times when I have phoned them to give them weather briefings over the years, not only in AL but also at home in OH, but last night was the most interesting ever. I also spend a few weeks there every January, having left there January 23.

Last night I got them into their bathrooms as the warned storm approached. It being a high-rise structure built to stand up to hurricanes, the bathrooms are a sufficient place to shelter, and are away from the windows and plate glass doors that overlook the gulf. Phoenix X was essentially at ground-zero for Ivan. Having spent many months there over the past decade they also have many friends there, and they called their friends to advise of my info. The entire building is serviced with DISH TV, and with the storm the TV service went out. Dad took their phone into the bathroom, and I told them I would call when the danger was over.

The TOR stated that it was likely that there was a large tornado over the water, and I concur. Here is the BV image from 0126Z:

0126BV.png

You can see where Phoenix X is by the little yellow plus icon at the state line (Yes, the state line jogs over to that point). Right after this, however, the radar presentation kind of fell apart, but nevertheless I waited until the storm got past them to call and say the coast was clear. The storm had passed right over Phoenix X, "it was windy", and they then called their friends to let them know it was also safe for them to leave their bathrooms. One of the friends they called-- up on the fourth floor-- claimed that they "heard the sound of a tornado".

Of course, there is tornado damage today in the Pensacola vicinity, and I believe that was a "hand-off" tornado that developed a short time later.

Hi Bob, I do wonder whether the couplet that occurred was a direct result of very strong mid level shear developing a mid level mesocyclone which migrating downward to a lower layer?
We have this beef in the UK all the time; Like, supposed waterspouts cannot become strong due to lack of surface friction augmentation on low level shear?...The truth is probably closer to the fact that if the low level vertical shear is strong (1000mb to 800mb) then a more natural process might on occasion occur such as 'Dynamics Propagation' aloft stretching an air born vortex to surface!
I am nevertheless happy to see that this strong rotation fell apart before reaching land.

Back