2013-05-20 Reports: OK/KS/MO/TX

Caught the Moore EF-5, but west of the Canadian river so we could not cross to pursue it due to police roadblocks on 44 and 35. Tornado was a wedge when we saw it.

Full log: http://www.aerostorms.com/moore-oklahoma-tornado-may-20th-2013/

20130520150132%25285%2529.JPG

Looks like we don't have a MISC thread of 5-20 and this isn't worth starting a new thread at this point, so I'll post it here... mammatus trailing the Moore storm... 5/20/2013 at 5:40 pm CDT in Norman OK.

wN8hrou.jpg

I was nowcasting for someone, so that's all I got to see of it. And I guess that's a good thing, all things considered.

I was on the storm near Duncan but did not witness any tornados. That day, I remember seeing a tornado report on the SPC storm reports page for this area. I wanted to check the time stamp on my video relative to this report to try to understand why/how I missed the tornado. Well the report is no longer listed on SPC; could have sworn I saw it there before, and know others reported one or more tornados here on Stormtrack. Anyone have any details about this situation? Was it determined that the report was invalid?

Hey Jim, Sorry i missed this. My computer is in the shop w/ most data. Here's what i can tell attm. The cell went Tornado warned around 2:44PM... A rotating wall cloud materialized and eventually dropped a brief weak tornado aprox 20-40 minutes later. I was very close / due east aprox 100 yards. Immediately after touchdown, the meso rapidly dissipated while another formed aprox 1.5-2 miles to the east-northeast. This dropped the tornado you see in the video and was on the ground aprox 10-12 minutes. I have a screen grab of my position in a hook at 4:06PM ... this is most likely the end of the larger Tornado. When i get my computer back i will upload the event in better detail. IMG_3033.jpg

From Hank Schyma:

Hank - can you tell me the approximate time of the tornado you filmed? We were in Bray but did not see the tornado. Trying to understand whether we got there too late, or if this was a later storm that tracked up in the same direction when we had already gone south.

Thanks,
Jim

http://youtu.be/7ujlti_MBLQ

In this video a friend and I are waiting on the tornado to cross i35 so I can go check on my family in the shelter. I was kind of freaking out, not sure if my 5 month daughter made it into the shelter. We decided to stay in OKC after getting a late start on the day, instead of driving to Chickisha. Little did we know what we were going to witness.

One pic of the Moore tornado
episod13.jpg

Attachments

• Episode4_Ju1.jpg
    Episode4_Ju1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 57
  • episod13.jpg
    episod13.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:
One of the defining days of my chase career. I targeted Norman all day long after seeing what appeared to be some sort of weird boundary all day on visible satellite.

Bill Oosterbaan was driving and we ended up driving down towards Purcell before I begged, pleaded and almost beat him up to turn around and head back to Norman. Headed to the Tecumseh road exit to see the wall cloud wrapping up, then headed north to 19th street where we watched the first touchdown. Continued west on 19th to Western then up to 134th/4th and east all the way to Sooner where it crossed close to us.

Watch video >

Some photos:

20130520-IMG_1808.jpg

Tornado approaching 149th and Western looking Southwest from 134th Street

20130520-IMG_1846.jpg

134th and Eastern looking WSW around the time it was crossing I-35

20130520-IMG_1873.jpg

Debris as the tornado approaches Sooner Rd

20130520-IMG_2022.jpg

Damage along I-35 and 4th street.

Full chase account at http://www.benholcomb.com/chases/20130520

Last edited by a moderator: