2012-05-01 FCST: SD/MN/NE/IA

Interesting setup across portions of the northern plains/northern MS river region. NAM and GFS seem to be in fairly good agreement about advecting mid 60's dewpoints into eastern NE/SD/southern MN by Tuesday evening leading to moderate instability beneath a 40-50 knot south/southwest low level jet and 30-50 knots of southwest midlevel flow. Weak capping and the lift from the well established flow aloft should lead to ongoing convection and storms across Minnesota. These storms may intensify later in the day. I'm a little more interested in eastern SD/NE where initiation should be delayed until the arrival of stronger flow aloft later in the afternoon. Storms should initiate along a weakly capped dryline by mid to late afternoon. The dryline looks a little sloppy, but is forecast to remain mostly stationary. High based storms over veered surface winds should be able to push off the dryline into richer air where the winds are better backed by evening. I'd expect storms to mature then and with 40 knots of effective shear and pockets of effective srh over 200, supercells and a few tornadoes look possible. Given the sloppy surface features, surface winds and low level jet that could be more backed, and weak upper level flow, there's probably going to be a mix of storm modes including lines, clusters, and supercells that have a tendency to go HP. I'm hoping for a tail end charlie play that is able to remain inflow dominant as it pushes off the dryline, and then spins up as the low level jet ramps up in the early evening. Watching Sioux Falls, SD right now for the best shot at a semi discrete, photogenic supercell and maybe a tornado, and portions just south of there depending on how far south the line of cells extends, and then into western IA by evening where the line should track. Certainly not an outbreak event or even a tornado producer, but could be a fun and photogenic chase with slow moving supercells, so I'll probably bite on this chase. It's May after all!

Interesting day. Seeing some large looping hodographs across MN on the northern target. 0z NAM showed even better backing winds. This area could realize an appreciable tornado threat if A) junk convection doesn't start too early along lifting WF (killing instability) and B) we do indeed get a good forcing mechanism east of the CF/DL. There is a little bit of energy ejecting into E/C MN by 0z that could force further east in the wake of the WF, perhaps. As it is...even with CF/DL forcing to the west we could see a tornado threat evolve in a quasi linear mode across the region. I'm thinking SPC goes 10% hatched torn with a possible moderate in the future.

Further south and west I'm less optimistic about tornado potential. Low level shear in immediate vicinity of the CF/DL is paltry and not well backed. If the CF/DL manages to pop off convection halfway vigorously it'll go linear pretty quick. Better backed winds are realized further east, but by then we'll nearly be outrunning our good upper level support and we'll be losing light. That said, I do like some of the hodographs I'm seeing in the missouri valley region. If a storm were to pop off further downstream from the CF/DL it'd likely be rather discrete and have a chance to do something fun. (especially if it were a hard right mover) Although I'm not sure why I'd expect this to happen...

My (slightly unrealistic) targets:

North Target: St Cloud Minnesota.
http://www.twisterdata.com/index.ph...iew=large&archive=false&sounding=y&sndclick=y

South Target: Lincoln Nebraska.
http://www.twisterdata.com/index.ph...iew=large&archive=false&sounding=y&sndclick=y

I may play if I'm able to gain confidence in SE NEB/SW IA popping off something before dark, but I'm not really seeing it at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back