2011 Central Plains Severe Weather Symposium: Lincoln, NE

Thanks Dave! At least initially I'll be the primary individual updating both the Facebook and Twitter sites. If there are any questions or concerns, please feel free to use those avenues as a source of contact or you can email those directly at [email protected]

We will have quite an event this year including the Symposium, Weatherfest activities, balloon launch (hopefully, not been very successful the last few years), and the all day photography seminar.

A quick update on the Lincoln event. Jeff and Kathryn Piotrowski will be on hand outside the main auditorium to meet and talk with the public that attend the CPSWS. The DOW will be displayed outside Hardin Hall near the Celebration Tent where lunch will be for sale.

It sounds like another great symposium is scheduled. I've been to everyone but the first two and wouldn't miss it for anything. :)

Props to Ken for moving it to April (compared to most years -- usually it's held today!). His rationale was that he didn't want the weather to be cold and snowy like it was some years. Looks like it was a good call!

Yep, definitely a good call. I was kind of thinking the same thing as I was walking to the storm spotter training on Saturday while it was flurrying. :p I'm glad this was scheduled for a later date too, because it would have been hard explaining to my son why I missed his 1st birthday when he gets older. lol.

Hey Dave,

Checked with Ken Dewey and he writes: "We will not be streaming live (next year we probably will) but we will record the event and each talk will be available at our website within a few weeks after the event. Here is a link to last year's presentations: http://snr.unl.edu/cpsws/video/keynotevideo.asp

So it sounds like you should be able to watch the presentations a few weeks later.

Take care,
Jim

Thought I'd pass this bit of information onto everyone. Received a message from Ken Dewey stating this:

"Weather is looking pretty good for next week and CPSWS. There are some more surprises and additions to the event. Stay tuned."

In addition to the event website, www.snr.unl.edu/cpsws, there's also the Facebook (www.facebook.com/cpsws) and Twitter pages (@CPSWS) where this information will be provided.

Remember what happened the day of the Central Plains Severe Weather Symposium of April 4th, 2009. Warm and mild in the morning, very windy by noon, and some severe weather later in the afternoon and evening. Tornadoes were spotted near Beatrice (NE) and in the Sutton (NE) area. After I got home (Aurora, NE) I drove east of town and ran into hail as tornado warnings were going out for York county (NE). This was also the day a raging blizzard was racing east across the state covering the state with plenty of snow by the next morning. It looks like parts of Nebraska could see some severe weather on Saturday 04-09-10 to top off this year's Central Plains Severe Weather Sysmposium.

I encourage anyone who can to attend. I have been to the seminar for the past 8 years and Ken Dewey and his team do an amazing job! I am not a storm chaser but when you live in Tornado Alley it's smart to learn about storms and be prepared. I love this forum because I track the NOW threads to get information on storms affecting me. Numerous times the NOW thread has been faster providing information than my local news stations.

Back