2011-10-18 REPORTS: FL

cdcollura

EF5
Good day all,

A rather atypical weather scenario unfolded by late afternoon and evening across southern Florida due to a sub-tropical / non-tropical low affecting the E Gulf of Mexico. In this case, a tornadic supercell formed over Miami-Dade county by about 8 PM EDT and reached Broward and Palm Beach counties by around 10 PM.

A tornado was observed with this storm, and the same storm eventually did EF-2 damage in my backyard in Sunrise, FL. My friend and I chased the storm from Miami-Dade county along I-75 and northward, with a rotating wall cloud first observed south of the precipitation core west of Miramar, FL.

The wall cloud produced a large cone funnel, and pronounced RFD clear slot west and NW of Pembroke Pines and SW of Weston (roughly 2-3 miles west of I-75 and Griffith Road). This was at about the 9:45 to 9:50 PM EDT time-frame and a delayed spotter report was place for it. Looking up, the updraft was striated and had a pronounced beavers tail feature stretching eastward.

This supercell, classic to HP in nature, was in darkness (night) so only sporadic lightning and the dim glow of city lights illuminated these features. Photography was rather difficult. A 20-30 MPH SE wind prevailed east of the rain-free region of the supercell.

m8tor5.jpg

Above: Not from this same storm, but almost exactly what I saw west of I-75.

The tornadic region of the storm passed almost overhead to close by, and a rapid wind shift was noted from SE at 30-40 MPH to WNW at about 35 with very heavy rains (probably the RFD). Looking NE towards Sunrise / Plantation, several power flashes were noted at the 9:55 to 10:00 PM EDT time-frame. This was about 2-3 miles to my NE of my location near I-75 and I-595 in Weston (and about a mere mile south from my apartment in Sunrise)!

Damage was noted from this storm in Sunrise and Plantation, with a narrow swath of moderate to heavily damaged homes, some with their roofs torn completely off. Trees were also uprooted in the general area, with damage becoming lighter in the SW to NE path. By 10:15 PM the supercell storm weakened near the Broward / Palm Beach county line.

p101811e.jpg

Above: Base reflectivity of the supercell.

p101811f.jpg

Above: Same storm with velocity couplet (radar divergence).

Some Damage pictures (from Sunrise, Florida near NW 8 Street and just east of 136 Ave) are below...

p101811a.jpg

p101811b.jpg

p101811c.jpg

p101811d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back