2011-04-27 NOW: LA, MS, AL, TN

Jeff Duda

site owner, PhD
Staff member
Site owner
Supporter
Time to get today's thread started.

I thought the parameters yesterday looked incredible. Those numbers are already being surpassed today! Anywhere at and south of the OFB being laid by the current MCS tracking across N MS/N AL/S TN and east of the dryline, which currently sits in far western LA, looks to be under a high risk of significant severe weather. Sig tor is already above 5 over most of LA, SE AR, S MS, S AL, and maxes out at 12 in LA! EHI is very large in the same area, with 0-3 km EHI values maxing out at 15 in SE LA, and 0-1km EHI values maxing at 12 in S LA. Effective shear is just as high as it was yesterday, with a noticeable gradient southward towards the coast. That will probably limit the sigifnicant severe threat down towards New Orleans if shear does not increase there. However, low-level shear is extreme, with 30 - 60 kts region wide (60 kts area is over the ongoing MCS). SBCAPE is in the 3000 - 4000 J/kg range across much of LA, S MS, S AL, and 0-3 km CAPE is currently upwards of 125 J/kg in LA, but is minimal east of there (I assume it is building eastward). Given current visible satellite imagery trends, I would say the atmosphere is not quite yet ready to go over much of S/E LA and into MS and AL, but clearing is occurring from the west just ahead of the dryline and rapid destabilization is underway there as well.

ADD: Unfortunately, the 13Z HRRR shows a supercell going right though Jackson at 19Z and the 14Z run shows a storm going just south of town early in the afternoon. Given the amount of severe weather central Mississippi has had in the last 12 months, if I lived there I would be quite nervous today.

Last edited by a moderator:
1000 ESRH......incredible.

Could be a very dangerous day.

SPC goes 45% hatched.

Once the warm sector advances into that area, its going to be crazy, 95 KNT jetstreak will be entering the area soon, though that isn't going to make a difference as its already 70KNTS over th PDS watch.

Looks like initiation is already underway over the Mississippi River between AR and MS. A storm over Arkansas City appears to be showing weak rotation already. There are many CU along the dryline back into LA.

Intercepted the tor-warned line coming through Huntsville, and was able to position myself approximately one mile north of TVS on GRL3. Rotation was visible, but consisted of cloud tags and clear air mixing, not fully condensing into a visible funnel at 11:58CDT. Outflow followed, estimated at +/-60mph at my position. Did not encounter hail.

Damage spots have been reported across the area, but some may be straight line products. I caught the rotation on Droid phone video--will check it later.

Very strong couplet south of Tracy City...

Edit...It was there only one scan so who knows, didn't see much up in the higher scans but 120 knots seemed pretty good, still learning so sorry for any error

tracycouplet.png

Moderator can add TN to the list, sorry

Looks like a lot of stuff going up well to the East of the main line of storms in W. Mississippi. Could get wet and messy like yesterday.

Yeah, not impressed with overall level organization yet, but the cell in N cntrl MS (now past Water Valley, approaching Dogtown) keeps trying to consolidate its rotation and form a hook - nothing persistent so far.

Wow, 95% probs on everything on PDS watch 235.

Here's my meteorological duscussion.

Warm sector is rapidly increasing north with a moderately unstable atmosphere setting in across AL (3500 J/kg). ESRH of 400-500 in this area as well, these storms, should they stay discrete have a LONG ways before they weaken.

This cell seems to keep recycling and shows persistent rotation. Now its near Philadelphia, MS. Interesting wording in the NWS tornado warning..

phili.png

AT 231 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS WERE
TRACKING A POTENTIAL STRONG TORNADO 12 MILES SOUTHWEST OF NANIH
WAIYA MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH.

debris field was evident in the last couple of reflectivity scans (in the hook region!)
on the above mentioned Philadelphia, MS storm.....

Back