2011-04-10 FCST: IA/MO/AR/LA/WI/IL/MN/OK

Sunday is shaping up into a very impressive setup with what looks to be a widespread severe weather outbreak across the MO and MS river valleys.

The first thing that really catches the eye is the very impressive 90 knot (some earlier runs were over 100 knots) 500 mb trough ejecting over a very large warm sector with dewpoints forecast in the 60's from northern WI down through LA. With little capping left by mid afternoon, dynamic forcing from that very impressive jet accompanied by lift along a dryline extending from Sioux City down to NE TX, expect an early to mid afternoon initiation and very widepread storm coverage. Storm mode might be questionable with many hodographs across the region showing huge straight lines. The 12z NAM is showing quite a bit better directional shea than the GFS, and regardless of the straight line hodos, all modes of severe weather look probable across the warm sector given the excessive shear profiles.

Unfortunately I still don't see Sunday as a very favorable setup for chasing, even if it is favorable for a severe weather outbreak as many high risk type setups are. Even though there is some veering between the 850's and 500's which could support some right turning supercells, the 90 knot 500's and 850's approaching 50 knots will lead to very, very fast storm speeds. And given the NNE storm motions, it may very well be impossible to keep up with these storms. Initiation also looks to occur over the very difficult terrain of MO, AR, and eastern OK. With widespread storm coverage, bagging a tornado may be kind of a crapshoot as well with supercells mixed in with clusters and bowing line segments. Right now I'd probably target western IA and get on storms early while they're discrete, where the terrain and road network is a bit more manageable, forecast instability is higher, and where the 850's back a little bit more for more favorable directional shear. It'll probably be more of a point intercept rather than a chase too.

4/10/11 FCST: IA/NE/MO/WI/MN/KS

WOW...pretty crazy parameters lining up for Sunday in Iowa as the upper jet support arrives. Very strong low level shear and LCL's well under 1200m. The sups are going to be rockets but it you can get downstream it could be a heck of a show.

MODS...combine with Skip's please...quicker on the enter key than me.

I agree with Skip for the most part. The unidirectional shear is what is bothering me the most, per 12Z runs. I do see the hint of some backed flow across central IA at 00Z, but it's not widespread. However, if the trough can slow down a little more in the next few runs, maybe surface winds will back a little more for Sunday.

Also agree with the unidirectional shear as well, however, it seems that if we can get a storm to fire early enough in the day that it will have a better opportunity at quality directional shear. Storm motions are really going to pick up this day that is for sure with motions around 45kts on the 18z NAM which is a nice decrease from the 12z run. However, looks like storm mode will be mostly linear it appears at this time, so a squall line it will likely be. Sure hope this day changes for the better...

Southeast Minnesota holds some potential based on the last couple of NAM runs. Around 2000 j/kg cape with very little or no cap being depicted at 00z Monday. 500mb bulk shear of approx 60kts in the area though as already mentioned, it may be be a bit to unidirectional for tornadoes - really to early to know though. Dewpoints look very good (if they verify) with a decent sized area of 60+ at the surface. Hopefully things come together for the first MN chase of the year - I will probably be out either way. Storm motions are also looking a bit more favorable in this region - especially based on the change between the 12z and 18z run of the NAM...

Wow.. so the whole thing has shifted to the north and east according to the SPC.

Best I can tell.. they are going by the GFS which has the dry line significantly further east at 00z than in previous runs.. the NAM has the dry line/cold front remaining in Iowa.. but, as before, it seems like the strong support aloft signal has remained intact.

As much as I would like to get excited about a day three moderate, I just can't here.

1.) I continue to see nothing but unidirectional shear along the dryline in IA.
2.) Storm motions are going to be crazy.
3.) I have noticed this with every model run now. As the dryline punches into IA during the day Sunday, there is almost NO convergence along it. The winds are southwest behind and in front of the dryline. This would make me very nervous, as it makes it difficult to fire convection. It seems things don't start lighting up until the cold front catches up to the dryline after 00Z.

Do I see this being a high end wind/hail event? Definitely.
Do I see this being a high end tornado event? Not at the moment. That's not to say you will get spin-ups along a squall line, but I don't see nice discrete supercells putting down large tornadoes.

I think southern Minnesota or western Wisconsin will be the place to be. Closer to home for me, MLCAPE from 1500-2000 across southern Minnesota, warm front draped across the southern third of the state in to west central WI. Helicities are much better in MN than IA from what I can tell, with CINH breaking down in south central MN and west central WI. Not exactly sure why the MDT risk is over southeast MN and not further west.

There are still some model differences (per 00z runs for today) which would likely impact the overall evolution of SUN's severe threat, but that's not unusual 72 hrs out. It looks like the ECMWF is the furthest north with the mid-level energy and associated vort max, while the GFS is on the same page regarding a more progressive nature to the system, albeit slightly further south. The NAM is slower and even further SW with the mid-level perturbation and vort max, so this would impact where the main jet core is located Sunday afternoon, along with the exit region corresponding with the best lift enhancement.

The different handling of the main energy impacts placement of the surface low and warm front, though it looks like a healthy WF will sit ESE of the main surface low somewhere over S MN and W/SW WI and into the W Great Lakes region. The ECMWF wants to take a sub-988 mb low into Central MN Sunday afternoon, whereas the GFS is slightly more elongated, with the low deeping and moving more proximal to the I-90 corridor by late evening. The NAM is slightly less progressive with a tad weaker of a low, though it doesn't break out much precip. in the warm sector before 00z. However, it is much more generous on instability than the other two models.

The MOD risk seems to roughly correspond to where both the ECMWF and the GFS has the better instability parameters situated by 18z, and both models are breaking out convective precipitation along the WF and ahead of the CF between 18z and 00z, as the low deepens and takes aim on the Superior/Western GL Uplands. The H85 jet core is forecast to strengthen after 18z, which would probably contribute to more favorable hodos, though I agree that the vectors look more parallel to the front in the S/SE sections of the warm sector, with the major TOR potential probably being juxtaposed INVO the triple point and surface warm frontal boundary.

Taking a quick look at this mornings NAM run...with such a veered look to the warm sector I think the only tornado potential will be in far northern WI - HWY 8 corridor - along the WF which will likely be quite baroclinic and remain in stratus with lakes still frozen up there. My initial target would be just north of Albert Lea MN based on surface convergence and axis of the 850 and 500 jets but would not be surprised to see a lone supercell much further east in WI along lake enhanced boundary.

I see the warm front most likely setting up now in Southern MN and Southern WI. The CAP also looks to possibly erode as early as noon in some of the models. If the CAP erodes that early, it won't take much forcing to initiate convection along the warm front and throughout the warm sector. However, at this point, shear profiles seem most favorable along and just under the warm front. We could see some nice right turners if the cells get rooted in the boundary. While this is where the greatest tornado potential is, we will probably still see some nasty super cells through the Iowa, Northwest Missouri, Northeast Kansas, Western Illinois areas as well. There is always the chance that the warm front may not get quite as far North as the models are showing and if that were to happen then Iowa would be in for a very long day. It seems as if there may be about 3-4 hours of discrete/cellular type activity before the storms begin to congeal into a massive squall. At this point, I believe we will be targeting North/Central Iowa and re evaluate from there.

I've been perusing the SREF and NAM this morning and just finished throwing a gazillion maps and some observations on my blog. Here's the link. In a nutshell, I'm presently favoring Dubuque, IA, as a staging area. That may change by tomorrow, but presently the NAM is depicting the H5 jet core heading in that direction, there's a normalized CAPE of .3 just to the east by 21Z, and a lot of other parameters all point to that area as a good bet. With height falls and vorticity moving in from the northwest, it'll be tempting to go after earlier storms that fire in Minnesota and rocket along the warm front--but one you're across the river, who wants to go backwoodsing it through the hill country and cranberry bogs chasing tubes you can't even see for the trees? So I'm thinking that eastern IA/northern IL is going to be the better play.

00z NAM continues to have the best features in WI. If it could slow down 3-4 hours so the setup is in better territory in MN that would be nice, but right now it looks like the Twin Cites to Eau Claire, WI should be a good bet. Southerly surface winds and a decent hodo (although could be better). I'm going to stay away from southeast MN and points farther south and east because of 1). Terrain and 2). Veering surface winds. West central WI is decent chase terrain, and with slightly back surface winds I will be targetting that area, although I'm still trying to figure out initiation. Work till 2:00, hopefully that won't screw me over like it did today.

Convection is now progged to start late in the day with a cap holding out most the afternoon. Although this setup doesn't have a blue sky bust threat, after seeing at least 7 tors yesterday and the warm front going northward into bad terrain with incredible storm speeds, will sit this one out. Really wished convection would start early.

Chip

Short-term model guidance (HRRR, RUC) moves the surface low to Lake Superior by evening, with veered surface winds throughout Wisconsin and points south by the time convection fires.

TARGET: Rice Lake

I don't think the hodographs are as good as yesterday, but deep layer shear and low-level shear (especially deep layer shear) look fine. I do like the lower LCLs farther north. Hell, maybe it will be a linear mess, but with that much shear, I don't think that linear, and even the July 27 linear mess managed to produce a few tubes in Wisconsin. Do worry about the flow becoming a little more veered, but with low deepening a bit, this shouldn't be preventative. Would like to have chased yesterday, but didn't have an early enough start (although I would have probably seen the last of the after-dark tubes), and I'm pretty convinced yesterday will end up being the better event, but I usually regret the shots I do not take.

Not too concerned with the veered surface flow, 0-1km SRH >250 should get the job done - especially further south where the storms will have no issues remaining discreet.

Can't ignore the insane 0-1km helicity and CAPE combination today, and unfortunately that mean violent, fast moving tornadoes.

Heading to Madison after some obligations I have earlier in the day, then deciding from there whether to go west toward my favored target of Prairie du Chien, or northwest as the area around Eau Claire looks very good as well.

Short-term model guidance (HRRR, RUC) moves the surface low to Lake Superior by evening, with veered surface winds throughout Wisconsin and points south by the time convection fires.

Respectfully disagree, Dan. The RUC has precip breaking out over the main target area between 21 and 23z, during which time the low is still west of Lake Superior and there is still an area of backed surface winds over Wisconsin.

I am in general agreement with the SPC forecast once again today. I expect storms to fire south of Minneapolis at about 3-4 pm CDT and race off to the E/NE. It doesn't look like there is anything to trigger a line to the south until after dark. A strong cap will be in place through much of the day. If I were chasing I'd be targeting Eau Claire, WI. I wouldn't want to be too far south, or too far west with this one given the fast storm motions. This may be a day where you're better off to set up in a good location and let the storm come to you. Good luck to everyone chasing!

Chase Target for Sunday, April 10

Chase target:
10 miles south of Waterloo, IA

Timing and storm mode:
Discrete storms may develop ahead of a larger line of storms around 5 PM. Supercells will be likely with discrete storms, and storm motion will be towards the east-northeast at 50 mph.

Discussion:
At 12Z, the exit region of a 130kt H3 streak was approaching the upper-Midwest. Moisture is in place, with 12-13C H85 dewpoints noted over much of WI. The current visible satellite indicates an expanding SC field over MO and southeastern IA, with little vertical growth indicating the cap is still strong due to the EML. Dewpoints have climbed into the lower 60’s over much of IA, and most models except the NAM have initialized too high with LLVL moisture. Investigation of the WV loop indicates a subtle shortwave crossing KS.

At 21Z, the strongest UVM will be located over southwestern IA, where H7 omegas in excess of -10 uB/S will be present. Lesser lift will extend S across central IA. Also, H7 temperatures will cool several degrees between 21Z and 00Z, further weakening the cap. Storms should first initiate along a line from the Twin Cities south to Blue Earth, MN, between 3 and 4 PM. Storms should continue to build south, reaching Des Moines by 5 PM. It also seems possible that one or more discrete storms will initiate just south of Waterloo between 4 and 5. If this occurs,

- Bill Schintler
KD0DJG
www.twistertoursusa.com
12:31 PM CDT, 04/10/11

Back