2/21/11 DISC: SE QLD. Australia

Here's a great video by Brisbane storm chaser Andy Barber, from today's severe storms on the southwestern outskirt of Brisbane in Riverview. One for the lightning lovers.

Warning! This guy sure gets some big stormgasms!
Watch video >

30,000 properties continue without power.

The Brisbane CBD resembled night time at 3:30pm, when lightning and thunder sent workers scuttling indoors.

Thousands of lightning strikes have been detected and the weather bureau recorded heavy rain at Wacol, south-west of Brisbane, where 98mm fell in an hour and 70mm in 30 minutes.

In the city's north, 70mm of rain was recorded in an hour at Mitchelton.

The weather bureau says the immediate threat of severe storms has passed, but the situation will be monitored and further warnings will be issued if necessary.

It says the first line of storms rolled in this afternoon with ominous clouds, hail and spectacular lightning shows.

A second line of storms followed, hitting Brisbane's CBD from about 6.20pm.

They caused commuter chaos, with train services disrupted, particularly on the Ipswich line, and one of Brisbane's major highways, the Gateway Motorway, congested after several small crashes.
http://www.news.com.au/national/sev...lands-south-east/story-e6frfkvr-1226009584456

Thanks for the video. I enjoyed it and it makes me miss the sound of crackling thunder. Only one or two more months before severe weather season kicks off in the states. I can't wait.

Lightning: favorite element of Storm. You had a regular flangfest going on!! GREAT capture. =]

I've heard thunder like that before, but it's been a few years. We had a big storm hit the morning I left Nashville for KC in May of 09, and then i heard thunder like that while I was chasing with Steve Worthington that same month. seeing that video makes me excited for the upcoming storm season.

Back