1980s cable radar

Here's a bizarre one I stumbled across this evening. It dates to about September 1987. Very weird... I wonder what boxes they used to make these graphics.

radcircle.jpg

Here's a bizarre one I stumbled across this evening. It dates to about September 1987. Very weird... I wonder what boxes they used to make these graphics.

Looks like a test pattern. I remember seeing something like that on the CVG radar one time. Also, sometimes the CVG radar would go yellow out to about 100 nm while it was being repaired. The yellow would draw on the screen as the antenna went around. As for what generated these images...I've never found the answer.

Most of these radars also use a center blank (often to 10 nm radius). It's also common to see a good deal of screen bleed (notice the shadowing between the green and blue on the left side of that last image). One feature these still images don't capture is the ability to "flash" certain VIP levels...the Jackson, MS images I posted earlier used this function on levels 4 and 5 (also those dots around the edges flashed as well).

Another goodie I dug up -- the WFAA-8 "Precision Radar", as seen here in 1987 shortly after it was rolled out. It's neither NWS nor station radar, but is actually the CORAD S-band unit in Corsicana. Since KXAS had its own radar, I think WFAA did this to compete with them, and in the process probably gave some funding to CORAD.

Still, though, this shows something that was way ahead of its time... keep in mind WSR-88D wouldn't be out for another six years, and all you could get from the NWS was the blocky Kavouras graphics. I'm guessing CORAD's radar was not all that advanced, but boy, what a processor someone had. I have to wonder if they had an Amiga doing some of the work.

Channel 4 (KDFW) jumped in the pool and got their own S-band radar in 1988, but the images looked like crap from what I recall.

wfaaprecis.jpg

Thought I had this one somewhere. This is the same Abilene TX display as shown earlier, though branded by CBS station KTAB. The station has also included the counties in their viewing area.

This shot is from Jan. 1991, and they showed it sometimes as a top of the hour as a legal ID, with a simple voice over "KTAB T-V Abilene."

During times when activity was on the radar, they almost always replaced all their :03 network rejoin IDs during programming with the radar without voiceover.

wsr57ktab.jpg

That last one is the first one I've seen show counties. I wonder if these things came with maps loaded or if you had to use transparencies to draw your own maps. I noticed the mapping accuracy and drawing pattern differed quite a bit between Cincinnati TV stations and Warner Cable.

I know all three of the Abilene TV stations (well, at least two of them), used this WSR feed and then ran it through their own little graphics processor. The weather guy on this station (KTAB) had a big honkin' metal handheld (two hands) box with little switches. He was able to blank out certain levels to black to show the hottest cells (Looking at VIP 5 while everything else was color black really made the cell stand out). But, I don't think he was even able to make a certain level blink.

As far as counties on cable systems, for years, the cable system in San Antonio did what was shown earlier on this thread, having three different views (wide, med, tight) with county outlines superimposed.

The radar images previously posted are those of television Enterprise Electronics LTD. composite weather radars. We used a similar brand of software/hardware at WWMT-TV 3 in Kalamazoo, Michigan begining in the late 1970's through the mid-1990's (in tandem with television doppler weather radar). The radar (as seems to be an on-going theme in this thread) was continuously aired live on local cable television throught the 1980's and early 1990s prior to it's deactivation. If I had the capability, I would post a stilled image of the May 13, 1980 Kalamazoo tornado via "Storm Search 3" (as it was branded back in the day) here.

I'll note (as an edit) that not all of the images posted are those of Enterprise Ltd. brand weather radars; as some are indeed WSR-74C feeds/or composite versions.

Interesting topic!

Thanks, Blake; I'll send an E-mail over there and see if they can share any tidbits on this system (I assume you're referring to the cable TV radars, not the precision radar example?)

Tim

I beleive so.. as I said, the station I am employed by used an Enterprise conventional radar; software version escapes me attm; for broadcast and 24-hour cable usage. As opposed to the WSR-74C feed TWC and A.M. Weather would use for broadcast purposes.

..Blake..

Back