1980s cable radar

This is how a lot of us got radar in the 1980s. Some cable companies carried a channel dedicated solely to live radar, as seen here. It's incredible that they actually did this, but back then CATV operators still maintained some pretense of community service.

This is the Stephenville WSR-57 radar site on 4/23/88, which was decommissioned around 1994 as the Fort Worth radar came online.

sepradar.jpg

Wow!! That's pretty cool. That brings back memories.

I can remember when the weather channel first came on the air waaaay back in the day. They didn't have the regional type radars they have now. They used to show various local radars that looked a lot like that.

It's hard to believe that was only about 20 years ago...

Looks exactly like the radar the local ABC affiliate uses. They've got their stupid exclusive live dopplar radar.. but it doesnt work worth a darn. A severe thunderstorm will appear as nothing more than a small shower not 70 miles away.

That brings back memories. The presentation is the same as what Sammons Cable used in Fort Worth when I was growing up. Channel 6 on the box, I think.

radar back in the day

Before the advent WSR88D, the local TV stations had radar that output at most 6 colors: lt green, dk green, yellow, orange, red, dk, red. I began to pay attention to the weather radar back in 1981 (I was 10 years old then!). KATV channel 7 had black & white radar with sweeping circular "range rings" with sonar sound (lol). It displayed at most 3 shades of grey. As the beam made the sweep around the state, precip and especially ground clutter briefly lit up and then gradually faded away until the beam came around again.
KARK channel 4 and KTHV channel 11 displayed color radar with yellow (light / moderate precip), and red (heavy). I think it wasn't until 1985 or so when the local TV stations began using 5/6 colors.
Too bad I have no screen grabs of "vintage" weather radar :(

I'm not sure what company manufactured the equipment that produced the video display in question. All the Cincinnati TV stations had one of these and customized their displays (color palettes, cities and so on). It commonly used the 50 and 100 n-mi range rings (for the 125 mile range) to indicate the antenna location, although I did see one use a traditional sweep line. The color table always runs from VIP 1 to 5, with level 6 being the same as the scope color.

Since we're on the subject, I thought I'd post a few of my images. These are from the CVG radar (Covington, KY). This site was commissioned in 1960 and decommissioned in 1995. The local NOAA weather radio broadcast played as the audio for this channel.

This first image is from 4/3/88.
CVG2240.jpg

From the 6/2/90 tornado outbreak. They changed the background to a darker blue and made some minor adjustments to the color palette by this time (and yeah, that's lottery numbers at the bottom). Level 6 can be seen as the dark colored core of the storm west of Cincinnati.
CVG0257.jpg

A similar display at WKRC-TV on 6/2/90
june219900300a.jpg

This type of image was commonly used by TV stations and TWC (in the 80s). I belive the provider was Kavouras, although the file name says WSI. A fake sweep line can also be seen.
cvg57wsi.gif

From the Brownsville, TX site. I'm not sure which hurricane is pictured, but it would of been before 1987.
brownsville.jpg

This radar image actually appeared as part of the local forecast on TWC in the 89-91 time frame in Jackson, MS. The range changes from 60x60 n-mi, to 125, then to 300
jackson125.gif

jackson60x60.gif

jackson317.gif

I do have some older video of radarscopes from the 60s and 70s. I'll see about posting it later. The only ones that come to mind are from the 74 outbreak (WHIO-TV) and there's one on one of the Tornado Video Classics videos (4/3/64, Wichita Falls).

What's ironic is that back then... the radar images, which were all provided by private vendors, gave credit to "NWS" on the images! Wouldn't see that today...

I believe I had the answer...

"6. That if any advertisement or telecasts are involved, proper acknowledgement be given to the public that the video display is from the NWS radar at ______________________ (or other location, if appropriate). The acknowledgment must be oral or visible. If electronic sweep is used, the origin must be centered at the location of the NWS radar display."

"The User's equipment must visibly specify the correct time of the image displayed, in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and, if possible, the date. It is the User's responsibility to know the time of the image being transmitted and the time of the image which is the basis for the interpretation."

Guess someone forgot about this one:
"User agrees to standardize VIP levels and colors assigned to VIP levels, to NWS specifications, to avoid confusion to the public."

Entire document can be found here http://www.weather.gov/wsom/manual/archive...s/NB501581.HTML

WSOM Chapter B-68, Visitation Procedures - Radar Stations.
http://www.weather.gov/wsom/manual/archive...s/NB688611.HTML

New Chapter G-32, "Radar Data Circuits."
http://www.weather.gov/wsom/manual/archive...s/NG329310.HTML

Policy Guidelines for Monitoring RRWDS Data Signals
http://www.weather.gov/wsom/manual/archive...s/NB500386.HTML

OK, this is is getting fun. Here's a stumper. I have an Allsups Burrito for anyone who can guess what this is (the radar, not the storm). You'll have to take a raincheck until I see you in an Allsups town. Karen: Gene Rhoden knows what it is, so don't ask him!

rkw.jpg

I am doing research and a case study over a supercell that had long track violent tornadoes with it on May 19, 1960 across Northeastern KS. Here are some radar grabs from Topeka. From ....

This is very interesting, especially the picture comparison....they look VERY similair, amazing! That Hook Echo is amazing as well.

Back