• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

1925-03-18 Tri-State Tornado damage aerial footage

The wide swath of damage, interspersed with complete destruction, and combined with the eye witness descriptions makes me think of a multi vortex, meso on the ground type storm. Pretty interesting find Dan!

I would imagine it was a multi-vortex mesocyclone, not unlike El Reno 2013. Many eyewitnesses described rolling smoke-like clouds and a sudden increase in intensity as it moved over. I think it was also rain wrapped for a while, though as it was likely different tornadoes from a parent supercell, it would have changed shape and look during its cycle.

I can reccommend The Tri-State Tornado by Peter Felknor and The Forgotten Storm by Wallace Akin for further reading.

Back