• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Tri-State tornado damage still visible on Google Maps

MJ Poore

EF2
I was reading again the path of the 1925 Tri-State tornado and it got me wondering if I could find damage that was still visible. I'm not from the mid-west, and some of these pics could be everyday urban decay. But I managed to find what I assume could relate directly to the Tri-State event. Any opinons?
The first two abandoned homes are from Murphysboro.
The sidewalk to nowhere is from Griffin,IL.
The two intact period buildings are from Murphysboro - they both show what appears to be roof/upper floor repairs, as well as abandoned lots nearby from destroyed buildings (I'm guessing).
The downed railway bridge is Murphysboro as well.
The abandoned plots are West Frankfort.
The old storm shelter is where a school was wiped out near W Frankfort with 50+ casualties.

Attachments

• Murphyboro-Rover Street.PNG
    Murphyboro-Rover Street.PNG
    918 KB · Views: 0
  • Murphyboro_house2.PNG
    Murphyboro_house2.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Griffin, sidewalk.PNG
    Griffin, sidewalk.PNG
    683.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Murphyboro-rebuilt-vacant.PNG
    Murphyboro-rebuilt-vacant.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Murphyboro-LaClede.PNG
    Murphyboro-LaClede.PNG
    814.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Murphyboro-bridge.PNG
    Murphyboro-bridge.PNG
    811.2 KB · Views: 0
  • WFrank-Abandoned sites.PNG
    WFrank-Abandoned sites.PNG
    800.8 KB · Views: 0
  • West FRankfort-School-shelter.PNG
    West FRankfort-School-shelter.PNG
    741.5 KB · Views: 0
Wow! There is still a huge field the width and length of the Palm Sunday Tornado just behind my neighborhood in Toledo,OH. Should show up on Google Earth at Jackman Rd/Eleanor Ave right behind the intersection and behind the Miracle Mile Kroger is where it lifted before dropping back down and wiping out Point Place.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Stormtrack mobile app

I'm not sure I follow the first post - you're saying that things like an abandoned bridge are signs of a ~100 year old tornado? I'm going to need to be convinced :)

And Lisa - having grown up in in that neighborhood, I don't know of any indications at all around there of the tornado. What sort of damage do (did) you see?

I could "buy" the premise that the singular storm caused at least some of these anomalies still visible today, but in that amount of time, other things could have happened, as well. But I'm sure there are still a few alive today who could probably relate to you the history of what many of the images are saying.

I'm always fascinated by history like this, especially dating back to changes and events occurring roughly 100-75 years ago

Thank you for that link Dan. Very useful data.

Regards the abandoned rail bridge on the Big Muddy River at Murphysboro. I understand a rail bridge was severely damaged by the Tri-State event in this area. I'm taking a poke this may actually be it.

And could not help noticing on Google maps the large number of abandoned plots in the older areas of affected towns.

Back