17th December 2005 - Sculptured supercell in Australia

1217jd22.jpg

Hi,

After a long day chasing with storms during the morning then noon and afternoon period, some very severe cells developed quite rapidly. However, in most cases they were not very long lived. The most impressive cell I was able to get up close and personal was the following:

I scored more dents - the second time this season from hail up to about golf ball size.

The first cell though:

Some nice front anvil mammatus today:

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Thanks for the pics and reports. It's so nice to hear of chasers intercepting storms. The current weather in the United States is boring.

Bill Hark

Good catch Jimmy !

I was on a family holiday at Jervis Bay, about 600km ( 350miles ) south of you. The pre frontal trough moved through there at 3am, with some lightning, but coastal junk cloud prevented photos.

At 10am the first convection went up about 60km ( 35 miles ) north and it retreated NE quickly as that bane of New South Wales storm chasers moved through - that is prefrontal - post trough dry NW winds.

By sunset the true front had finally come through - by now some estimated 600-800km behind the trough. The front kicked off some very weak storms on the ranges west, but in the moisture starved surface conditions the storms did not survive past the ranges.

They did however leave a consolation prize - a nice mammatus sunset.

171205a.jpg

171205b.jpg

171205c.jpg

Michael

Back