12/23/2010 - 12/24/2010 Midwest storm

We probably got under an inch as even the grass is still showing in the yard. Not a white Christmas in my book.

It hasn't done much here since the overnight and morning snow - still sitting slightly over 2.5". More or less flurry activity, with the back edge of the precipitation shield moving pretty quickly to to East. I wouldn't be surprised to see it wrap up within the next hour - as much as I hate to say it, forecasts for this system were a complete bust, long range even up until a few hours before the system exits regarding snow totals. That low pressure system (if you even want to call it that) we were talking about earlier in this thread seems to be moving out into the Gulf of Mexico, not even having much of an impact in the lower Mississippi river valley. :eek: Situations like this almost make me hate to advertise any totals with winter storms, as more often than not I end up having to eat my own words.

The forecast may have been a bust in your area, but not in other areas. Snowfall reports out of Iowa are indicating some underforecasting of snowfall amounts.

I was told 6 to 10" of snow with the heaviest over NE Iowa. Looks like the Omaha meteorologists got that right, haha. Waterloo came in with 10.50".

The forecast may have been a bust in your area, but not in other areas. Snowfall reports out of Iowa are indicating some underforecasting of snowfall amounts.

Forecasters didn't have a good handle on the totals until extremely late in the forecast, but it seems the last run verified decently well for most parts of the CWA, with some areas picking up as much as 6" in southeastern Missouri. Still around 3" here, with flurry activity - actually a pretty nice atmosphere for the day, may have been a bit harsh with my last post. :)

I was told 6 to 10" of snow with the heaviest over NE Iowa. Looks like the Omaha meteorologists got that right, haha. Waterloo came in with 10.50".

I have a friend who lives in Waterloo proper who actually noticed the 10.5" report and swears they didn't get more than 7" - must have been a very isolated heavy band on one side of town. :confused:

Anyway, I hope you're all having a merry Christmas. :D

40 miles south of St.Louis we got 4.7". The local TV mets and NWS got it pretty close in total snowfall (2-4 inches) with alot of the St.Louis area reporting somewhere in that range.

My sister just SE of Paducah (Ky) said they ended up with a little over 4", which was a bit more than expected. The official report at the NWS was 3.2" on the west side of town. Other reports from the area ranged from 3" to 5".

Back