1000 fatalities?

I seem to recall during the runup to Lili fizzling out that the city of New Orleans had 10,000 body bags at the ready. If anyone doesn't get the threat already, they need only think about that statistic. :shock:

Incredibly strong language coming from the Mayor of NO. Including the right of the police to commandeer any building or vehicle needed to save lives.

Basically MARTIAL LAW

Now that the storm has reached such an incredible intensity, and hearing that a lot of people are not leaving, a lot of people are going to die. I'm not going to peg an exact number, I'm not sure Galveston will lose its infamous record, but Katrina is certainly going to put it on a run for its money.

Not to sound overly alarmist, but does anyone think there's a chance that the Big Easy may never recover from this? In the event of a direct hit it's gonna be F3/F4 damage underneath tens of feet of water.

EDIT: as we all know, each hurricane helps to reshape the coastline where ever it comes ashore, but with the extremely low elevation of all of SELA, what will the state look like when this storm is over?

Originally posted by Sam Sagnella
Not to sound overly alarmist, but does anyone think there's a chance that the Big Easy may never recover from this? In the event of a direct hit it's gonna be F3/F4 damage underneath tens of feet of water.

EDIT: as we all know, each hurricane helps to reshape the coastline where ever it comes ashore, but with the extremely low elevation of all of SELA, what will the state look like when this storm is over?

I was thinking the same thing before even opening this thread to see your post! Given the elevation and the type of landscape (marsh/swampy), it may be possible that some areas of New Orleans won't ever recover. They would be too swamped with water and mud that it wouldn't be reasonable to try and pump it out or rebuild.

I agree with that theory of NO never recovering. People will obviously move back, but it may never be the same. It hasn't really happened to a major city in recent times, but historically it is very common.

Originally posted by Sam Sagnella

No, New Orleans will not fully recover from this. Barring great luck, a miracle, or an end-of-the-world event in the next 60 years, this is the greatest American catastrophe of our time.

NOLA police chief just asked that Bush send them Army MASH units to standby outside of the town to be ready for the triage when the storm is gone.

Obviously, the forecast track and intensity are very disturbing, but let's not put the cart before the horse! The landfall is still 24 hours away, and the average track error at that time range is 80 miles. It could still be as far east as Pascagoula or as far west as west of Houma. There's still plenty of time for unforseen weakening, and we know very little about hurricane intensity changes beyond a few hours.

The official landfall may be 24 hours out but this hurricane is not a point on the map. It is massive and tropical storm force winds are only a few hours from affecting the coast.

I was just watching TWC and they briefly ran excerpts from an old informational program (Storm Stories?) where they were reporting on New Orleans and the long expected & planned disaster. They mentioned FEMA estimates from a Cat 4 or Cat 5 could lead to up to 40,000 to 60,000 dead in a direct hit! A lot of the deaths would be caused by disease from stagnating waters, and inland flooding as well.

This does not look good and I hope somehow it turns away from the city.

Also, for those of you thinking you can chase this, you might think hard and look at those maps of the city area I posted earlier. Currently at 175 mph (Cat 5 and F3) with gusts even higher and surge up to 36' with giant waves you will have to be in a very strong and tall reinforced structure to survive. If you survive immediately you may be trapped in the flooded areas in peril from disease and lack of food, water for a long time. Hurricanes can kill in many ways.

Back