10/26/06 DISC: KS

Jeff,

I was working the 4pm-12am shift at SPC. The first tornado warning was issued (literally) as I walked into the operations area, and that warning included a report. I took over the shift around 4:05 pm, and by 4:20 pm was initiating a conference call with DDC and ICT for what became tornado watch #839.

Fifteen minutes is not much time to get your bearings, especially when I had to at least consider some aspects of the "main" outlook areas in OK/TX. We did not amend the outlook because the expectation was that the event would likely wind down before 01z. In other words, we missed our opportunity to forecast the tornadoes, so we were left with a short term "reaction" in the form of the tornado watch. The worst case scenario is when an unexpected event corresponds to shift change, as was the case Thursday afternoon.

Rich T.
Thanks for the comments. I was curious what the thinking was on your end of the line. These cold core events seem to be extremely difficult. It seems like there have been more over the past couple of years than in the past. That may not be the case though.

I would be curious if SPC does a post analysis "meeting" on events like this and try to determine what went wrong or could have gone better.

Great job this year on the forecasting for the PAH Region. We have been hit hard for several years now. Lot of destructive tornadoes. Everyone over here pays close attention to what your office says and does.

There are a couple of relatively recent publications focused on cold-core setups:
Preliminary Climatology of Tornado Events with Closed Cold Core 500mb Lows.(Davies and Guyer)

Guyer, J.L., and J.M. Davies, 2006: Enviroment Characteristics Associated with Tornado Events near Closed Cold Core 500 MB Lows. Preprints, 23nd Conf. Severe Local Storms, St. Louis MO.

I think the biggest problem lies in the fact that the parameters of "cold-core" setups are far from what we've come to expect from tornadic supercell cases. In addition, there's even some debate as to whether these events are nonmesocyclone tornadoes or mesocyclone tornadoes associate with relatively short-lived mini- or low-topped supercells. I'll be presenting a poster at the upcoming SLS Conference that focuses on the 3-20-06 NW OK cold-core tornado, which had dewpoints below the common lower threshold set forth by a previous Guyer and Davies paper (~50F).

From a chasing perspective, I don't think they really are that difficult to forecast. The cold-core setups that seem to produce are those with a surface low <150km from the center of a 500mb low, a distinct pseudo-occludded front, and steep low-level lapse rates that yield some decent low-level CAPE. The boundary involved yesterday was well-developed and clearly evident on local 88Ds. Earlier this year, on 3-20-06, we parked ourselves along a similar, well-defined surface boundary in NW OK, and waited for a moderate convective cell to approach, interact with, and cross the boundary. Well, not entirely unexpectedly, the cell quickly developed substantial rotation, took on supercell characteristics (RFD clear slot, wall-cloud, etc), and produced a tornado; all the while it, was snowing 30-40 miles to the northwest.

The last line of my last post in the FCST thread:
" There may be a risky cold-core play across far nw OK and eastern OK panhandle if the 12z RUC verifies."
This makes my choice even more frustrating, since I looked at the cold-core play (in the mid-morning, it appeared as though the front may stay in OK, which is why I mentioned far nw OK... Obviously, the front ended up in sw KS, so adjustment would have been needed!). So, why did I chase south of ICT yesterday instead of south of DDC yesterday? The same reason why I chased the warm-sector several times during the spring of 2005 while the cold-core play was lighting up to my northwest... It's tough for me to drive hours to a location, hoping to see tornadoes, with temperatures in the 50s and dewpoints even lower, when I can play a more "typical" warm-sector setup (dewpoints in the 60, good veering wind profile resulting in substantial low-level shear, etc). This will change next year, as I've realized that the cold-core target has been remarkably consistent the past 2 years, particularly since many of the cold-core days in the past couple of years have feature warm-sector setups that have had to deal with marginal moisture.

It is very important to determine, however, if yesterday's tornadoes really were associated with low-topped supercells with (relatively) deep, persistent mesocyclones (a little redundant, since supercells, by definition, contain deep, persistent mesocyclones). I haven't looked at radar data from the event, but there's the possibility that these were nonmesocyclone tornadoes caused by intense stretching of ambient vertical vorticity not associated with deep, persistent mesocyclones. This is a very important distinction to make! Many landspout tornadoes on the Front Range are caused by strong low-level vertical acceleration associated with building TCu stretching vertical vorticity in or near a misocyclone. A "cold-core event" typically refers to situations in which convective cells "feed off" the ambient vertical vorticity along a boundary and develop relatively persistent, deep mesocyclones. On the 3-20-06 case, the cell near Putnam indeed did develop a deep, persistent mesocyclone, along with other supercell "features" (RFD clear slot, etc, as noted earlier). I suppose much of this comes down to the depth and duration of the rotation in the cell. Were they really tornadoes associated with supercells / mesocyclones, or were they more shallow, landspout-ish tornadoes? It's not entirely a clear-cut distinction in the first place, and I haven't looked at any radar data to determine either way.

The only mention by DDC that I read in yesterday afternoon's AFD was this: " VERY LIMITED CAPE SHOULD KEEP STORMS BELOW SEVERE LEVELS."

Did the SPC update their 20z outlook to account for higher tornado probs when they issued the tornado watch for SW KS?

Thanks, Jeff, for considerations. Cold core setup is so much productive also in Italy during autumn.
Anyway following the last synoptic situation of 26th october , it seemed to me that the place where tornadic supercells occurred was not the right one where tornadogenesis is most favourite (correct me if I'm wrong).
From Davies site there's a fine graphic where it is well explained.

composite_daviesguyer2004.gif

In our case 500mb low was collocated less than 320km away from the surface low and this was a good sign that could indicate that tornadic low topped supercell could occur. But if you see from the surface analysis map where is collocated the intersection between cold front and warm front (major probability for tornadic development) at 21-22Z of october 26th(the time of the tornadic development in Minneola)it appears that this intersection of those boundary is about in Enid Ok, that is about 200miles far away from Minneola. For this reason it resulted difficult for me to understand why tornadic development was so distant from the forecasted one.
Anyone can give me an answer?

NWS Dodge City has information about the tornadoes
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_story.php?wfo=ddc&storyid=4206&source=0

According to my research, 10-26-06 tornadoes sets the all time
record for the most tornadoes in a day for October for the
state of Kansas. 1950-2006.

I posted this in the weather and chasing discussion too,
so moderators feel free tofind the appropriate place for this.

Mike
Norman OK

Last edited by a moderator:
Back