Taken by Storm - 2010 DVD or Blu Ray Disc

TBS10-DVD-175.jpg HI-DEFINITION 1080 WIDE SCREEN DVD or BLU RAY DISC

My annual highlights video from the 2010 season is now ready for sale or trade for your 2010 production. All footage was captured in FULL high-definition 1920 x 1080 wide screen format between May 10th and June 27th and includes such notable tornado days as May 24th (full cycle of Howes to Faith, SD tornadoes), May 31 (the incredible Campo, CO tornado), June 10th (Last Chance, CO structure storm & tornado) and June 20th (Chugwater, WY tornado and a serious hail bashing guaranteed to make anyone cringe!). Of course there are plenty of other great looking storms and lesser tornadoes as well along with my usual time-lapse music montages. This is my 12th annual highlights production and like my sixth production---"Taken by Storm-2004" includes a lot of photogenic tornadoes and supercells---thus the shared title.

The entire production is condensed to 84 minutes so as to keep things moving along and is available in both DVD and BLU RAY disc. The DVD looks great but the BD-R is fabulous if you have a HDTV and a Blu Ray player. To compare, my standard DVD is 720 x 480 widescreen with 3.7Gb of data and the Blu Ray is 1920 x 1080 with 18Gb of data.

taken_by_storm__2010.htm
taken_by_storm__2010.htm
TBS10-DVD-175.jpg
Taken by Storm - 2010
A 2010 Chase Video Highlights Production
© 2010 Brian A. Morganti

Without a doubt, the 2010 chase season was my best experience since 2004. In many ways the 2010 season was similar to that of 2004 in that it offered several significant "career" tornado days as well as many other days with nicely structured Supercells. In 2004 I named my sixth chase highlights video "Taken by Storm - 2004" and in honor of that video my twelfth chase highlights production will share the same name. It was an incredible season!
---Filmed Entirely in High Definition Video---
Wide Screen Format!
dvd-4.jpg
BluRay.jpeg
12 Chapters in all include the following...
52410-HowesSDTornado-1335-225.jpg
52410-HowesSDTornado-1334-225.jpg
May 24 - Tornadoes - Howes to Faith, South Dakota
We made the long haul north in hopes of finding a tornado somewhere in northwest South Dakota and our efforts paid off big time! Storms were moving fast that day but we managed to get in perfect position to watch a tornado form near Howes, SD and later move off towards Faith. We then tried our luck about a hundred miles east and found a nicely sculpted supercell near Gettysburg, SD. What an incredible day!
53110-CampoTornado-south1-225.jpg
53110-CampoTornado-south4-225.jpg
May 31 - Tornadoes - Campo, Colorado
Tornado prospects weren't very high for this day but a supercell or two did appear likely for extreme southeast Colorado. We were able to see a developing storm well off to our west from our approach in the Oklahoma Panhandle. This became our target storm and we spent the next couple of hours watching this storm develop a few miles west of Campo, CO. We followed this slow moving supercell eastward and watched it put down a highly contrasted tornado near highway 287. From there we were able to stay ahead of the storm via a network of dirt roads which afforded us with several more views of the supercell and additional tornadoes.
60210-GrantNeSC-1-225.jpg
60210-ColbyKSsc-2-225.jpg
June 2 - Supercells - Grant, NE to Colby, KS
We intercepted the first supercell of the day near Grant, Nebraska which gave us a nice show with a couple of dusty red gustnadoes. We then move south to pursue other storms and eventually found a real beauty just north of Colby, Kansas!
60310-SanteeIndResvNE-Shelf4-225.jpg
60310-SanteeIndResvNE-Shelf5-225.jpg
June 3 - Shelf Cloud - Santee Indian Reservation - Nebraska
After blowing off storm farther north in South Dakota we headed south towards new convection. Our target storm had been tornado warned but soon became outflow dominate and began to push out very photogenic shelf cloud structure.
061010-LastChanceSC-1-225.jpg
061010-LastChanceSCtor-4-225.jpg
June 10 - Tornado - Last Chance, Colorado
After working our way south along a line of storms we found the tail-end storm a little west of Last Chance, CO. The storm soon took on a nicely sculpted look and a tornado soon began dangling from its base.
62010-ChugwaterTor2-425-225.jpg
62010-ChugwaterHailDmg1-225.jpg
June 20 - Tornado & Big Hail - Chugwater, Wyoming
A supercell in southeast Wyoming producing a nicely backlit tornado and then cuts off our escape path with giant hail to the size of baseballs and larger!
84 minutes of spectacular storms including time-lapsed sequences put to music.
Domestic USA Orders :
DVD or Blu Ray Disc
United States Orders
include shipping/handling
Choose Video Format Below DVD-R $21.95 Blu Ray (BD-R) $28.95
pixel.gif

International Orders :
DVD or Blu Ray Disc
International Orders
includes shipping/handling
Choose Video Format Below DVD-R $28.95 Blu Ray (BD-R) $34.95
pixel.gif

or mail a check or postal money order payable to:
Brian A. Morganti
932 Christmas Village Road
Bernville, PA 19506
Please contact me via e-mail for additional information, video trades, or special requests.
HOME

Last edited by a moderator:
This one’s the answer to your SDS problems! You’ve watched the other fantastic chaser videos early after the season ended and now you’re dying for some new material until you can get out again for your own.

Brian has outdone himself once again with another very high quality product like many of you have viewed in his previous DVD’s. I watched my copy three times the day after I got it in the mail and am still fascinated with his offering for this year. The footage in ‘Taken By Storm-2010’ is all High-Definition and the way he presents the different days in an almost ‘Preview of Coming Attraction’ adds a lot to the anticipation of wanting to know what is going to happen next. There is no shortage of long lived tornado activity and I’m always thrilled with the way he matches the lightning strikes to the beat of the music. Seems to be one of his trademarks and the man is a master with a camera.

I may have a little of a vested interest in this year’s DVD as I was fortunate to be with him when part of it was filmed, but that doesn't change my opinion of this one. The quality of this year’s presentation is well worth his normal price and is one you will be proud to have in your collection.

When I became interested in storm chasing in the early 1990s, I gobbled up most of the chase videos that were offered for sale in Stormtrack Magazine. These were on VHS video tapes and were, for the most part, excellent productions by exceptional chasers. Quality tornado video was still somewhat rare back then, and it was always a rush to see a new storm tape arrive in the mail box, shove the tape into the machine, and watch fresh tornado video for the first time. It didn't matter that the material might be five or fifty months old. The sounds and the images of those tapes are forever burned into my skull! The storms and tornadoes on my TV screen were amazing to me, but the video quality wasn't exactly stunning. Your VHS tape was likely a 3rd or 4th (or worse!) generation dub of material originally shot by a clunky VHS camcorder. It was almost like watching real life through a light fog.

Fast forward 20 years, and technology has blessed storm chasers and chase video viewers with HD, BluRay, and Plasma. It is almost as if the new advancements were made for storm videography! The HD storm video that I can watch now on my HD TV is just mind-blowingly amazing, stunning, jaw-dropping. If you are 20 years old, I challenge you to watch a 2-hour VHS storm chase video from 1990 on your gramma's 25-inch RCA or Zenith. You'll see what I'm talking about!

Anyway, this is a long-winded attempt at hyping Brian Morganti's 2010 chase highlights video "Taken By Storm--2010". I watched the BluRay version on my 50-inch HD plasma last night, and the details and colors, the richness and subtleties, the starkness and the clarity of our stormy atmosphere are incredible. Of course, Brian knows his way around the camcorder and the editing software, his production moves along nicely, and it helps a lot that he managed a bunch of great intercepts in 2010.

I strongly recommend that, if you are interested in watching Brian's video, that you get the BluRay version. If you don't have the machines yet to view BluRay, buy a BluRay copy anyway. Find a friend (or make a new friend) who has a BluRay machine and a nice big HD TV. Buy them a Mountain Dew and an Allsop burrito and then barge into their home to watch "Taken By Storm--2010". You'll never go back to DVD if you do.

Bill Reid

Back