10/22/04 NOW: Plains/midwest

Since it appears the event is begining to take shape, this now thread has been started. Elevated convection is occuring in E IA, N MO, and W IL at this time. So here we go.

Still sitting here in the cloudy, damp muck. Drizzle and mist is falling, but it is definitely warmer and more humid. T/Td is now at 57/53. Watching the thunder to my south and west. Two MD's are active, but no WW's anticipated yet. Hoping the area under the northernmost MD gets rougher.

Hello all!

Me and Nick Grillo are currently sitting in a public library in Des Moines. It seems like the area is fairly capped right now, and no watches are out.

We're heading for the Sioux City area (or maybe north of Omaha...). A SVR was issued earlier for Iowa County in E-central IA, but the fog virtually made it impossible to see.

Hope to see some of you out there!

also, please, anybody can be of extreme help to us! we don't have any mobile internet access, so anybody that can nowcast for us would be incredibly helpful. our cell phone number is 1-586-668-2455

Jason Hetzel

Md's are out for possible red boxes. One north and one south. Here it goes? Wow! I have T/Td of 63/55, looks like the WF is through.

T-storms approaching my area are quickly falling apart and turning stratiform. Booo! :cry:

EDIT: 5:41 PM Now 64/55. Radar is looking like the storms may hold together. The warm temperatures have brought the Asian ladybeetles back out too. :evil:

It's dark now. Still some alleged thunderstorms to my west. NIU lightning detector is going nuts with intracloud stuff, I can't see jack though. I thought I heard thunder a few minutes ago, but maybe not. That tornado watch for MN/SD hasn't gone up, and the TX MD was dropped. Bust city.
How is the next big system coming along for next week?

I'm sitting in Le Mars, Iowa, just north of Souix City and waiting for initiaton. I see some stuff going up in Nebraska on the radar. I'm going to wait for it to come to me or for something to fire in front of it. Getting dark now...

Skip Talbot
WX9KIP
skip.cc

And a bust was had by all...I personally accomplished a 250 mile bust. Targeted SE Iowa like I had all week...where a couple storms went up, and briefly showed minisup characteristics. Were issued warnings from DVN for a little while. Reaching Peoria, IL I pulled off to check data, and got a call from Scott Kampas, both confirming it was a bust, so I turned around and headed home. I agree...lets all get a jump on getting our hopes up on next weeks system ;)

I didn't see a REPORTS page so I'll post here.....left at noon, drove to Gainesville, got back home by 5pm. Sat there for a few hours hoping the sun would work over the cloudiness just east of 35 and provide a shot at some supercells before dark and before the Pine Lake region. Waited for the 20Z outlook, wasn't impressed, so here I am. Not surprised. This time of year, sustems that are worth messing with are clear by the time you leave...today was like asking a question then shaking the Magic 8 Ball.

Tainted my stats for the year, but we were there if anything had happened. Didn't see or hear a single other chaser all day. And I didn't expect to. Thanks to Dwain Warner for the nowcasting!!!

I didn't see a REPORTS page so I'll post here.....left at noon, drove to Gainesville, got back home by 5pm. Sat there for a few hours hoping the sun would work over the cloudiness just east of 35 and provide a shot at some supercells before dark and before the Pine Lake region. Waited for the 20Z outlook, wasn't impressed, so here I am. Not surprised. This time of year, sustems that are worth messing with are clear by the time you leave...today was like asking a question then shaking the Magic 8 Ball.

Tainted my stats for the year, but we were there if anything had happened. Didn't see or hear a single other chaser all day. And I didn't expect to. Thanks to Dwain Warner for the nowcasting!!!

http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3945

Storms are now firing in eastern South Dakota. Hamlin County now
under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning, storms moving north at 30 mph.

Latest Mesoscale Discussion

AREAS AFFECTED...NERN NEB...ERN SD...SWRN MN...NWRN IA
CONCERNING...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL
VALID 230044Z - 230145Z
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED SHORTLY FOR PARTS OF THE AREA.
Source: http://kamala.cod.edu/spc/0410230044.acus11.html
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md2355.html
Mike

Yeah, too little, too late, and too linear :x

Sure glad I didn't travel to IA or eastern NE today from lower MI...

And not a single WW issued yesterday. Last night a period of heavy rain fell here for a long time. Every once in a while though, the stillness of the night would be interrupted by a rather powerful lightning bolt. This happened about 6 times in the 3-hour period that the rain fell. It sucked, but it was still nice to see lightning though.