10/18/04 REPORTS :Midwest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
SPC reports 3 fatals and about 10 injuries...28 tornado totally: a really violent day.
Has anybody some photoes about tornadoes and supercells? Post your reports here.

I've been too busy to look at what I got on video, and still have some film left on the roll as far as stills go, but I did see a pretty supercell near Prairie du Rocher, IL yesterday. The next storm south was the one that produced the Potosi, MO tornado, but I just could not get that far south. As it was, I was more or less chased down the Mississippi River from Prairie du Rocher almost to Chester as the storm I was on turned hard right and moved SE right along the river.

When I do have the pics ready, I will post a log with pics to my Web site, and will post the link here. A pretty good chase for October in southern Illinois, even if I did miss the tornadoes.

I was on a vacation trip heading for the Ozarks and decided to route myself thru se Mo. on Monday as it looked most promising for CAPE , shear and helicity.In s. Ill(I-70) the temp was in mid/upper 40's with heavy on/off rain @ Effingham (noon) and by the time I reached Mt. Vernon (I-57 60 miles south) the sun was out, temps in the low to mid 70's and very muggy with 69 Td. Made a couple library stops for a looksee at radar and other weather stuff - Some random storms were starting to fire up near Ironton , Mo so I crossed the river at Chester ,Ill and headed north up I-55 and US 61. The NWS was starting to issue dopplar tornado warnings and lot's of them. I saw one slightly ragged wall cloud near St. Mary Mo but never saw any funnels or touchdowns. It started to hail with heavy rain so I headed back south towards Sikeston. Got to Sikeston about 7 pm and you could see a massive supercell to the north( tornado warned) towards Perryville and also a large supercell to the sw probably in ne Ark someplace. It was getting dark so my chasing was done for that day. Headed for the famous Lamberts Cafe(home of the throwed roll) for a good dinner. The storm up towards Perryville was the one causing the fatalities I think.

10-18 Storm reports: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/041018_rpts.html

Jon Miller

Hi Jon
Do you have some photoes about the massive supercell you talked about? It's strange that only few people chased those tornadic supercells.

I'm anxious to see something!

Sorry Andrea, didn't get any pictures or video- was getting too dark but you could see the cells off to the north and southwest from Sikeston - the anvil tops were still sunlit and there was a lot of lightning banging around especially in the north storm which was closer - just north of Sikeston up towards Cape Girardeu and Perrysville area. The southwest storm was farther away- I think in ne Arkansas or southern Missouri bootheel area- I think this one was the one that caused deaths in Peniscott Mo but am not sure. A lot of heavy rain with some hail so driving was not the easiest. From Cape Giiradeau north it gets hilly- part of the eastern edge of the Ozarks so visibility is not the greatest- south of there it flattens out into Missiisippi delta land with greater visibility. It was fun even tho I didn't see any tornados (better then Fridays chase bust up in nw Iowa / se SD area ) considering it's late October and snow will soon be flying.

Jon Miller

Sorry Andrea, didn't get any pictures or video- was getting too dark but you could see the cells off to the north and southwest from Sikeston - the anvil tops were still sunlit and there was a lot of lightning banging around especially in the north storm which was closer - just north of Sikeston up towards Cape Girardeu and Perrysville area. The southwest storm was farther away- I think in ne Arkansas or southern Missouri bootheel area- I think this one was the one that caused deaths in Peniscott Mo but am not sure. A lot of heavy rain with some hail so driving was not the easiest. From Cape Giiradeau north it gets hilly- part of the eastern edge of the Ozarks so visibility is not the greatest- south of there it flattens out into Missiisippi delta land with greater visibility. It was fun even tho I didn't see any tornados (better then Fridays chase bust up in nw Iowa / se SD area ) considering it's late October and snow will soon be flying.

Jon Miller

I understand...It doesn't matter :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back